LegacyGT.com

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Manual Trans fluid change question!

megamastermike101

I just bought a 2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i in great shape with 153k on it and the timing belt,water pump and head gaskets were replaced at 116k but the guy did not have any record of the manual trans fluid ever being changed this might be a dumb question but this is my first manual car and I know that in a automatic if you don’t know if the fluid has been changed you should leave it alone but is it the same case for a manual trans ? Should I change the fluid or leave it alone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can change the MT fluid at any time.

I have heard and have destroy an auto transmission shortly after an oil change on an 80's GM car. I think those issue are more prevalent with older transmissions. I changed my Outback 4EAT transmission fluid three times at 115k miles and I didn't have any issues .

You can change the MT fluid at any time.

I have heard and have destroy an auto transmission shortly after an oil change on an 80's GM car. I think those issue are more prevalent with older transmissions. I changed my Outback 4EAT transmission fluid three times at 115k miles and I didn't have any issues .

So change if the fluid won’t cause damage even though the fluid has 150k on it ?

I don't think you will harm anything at all replacing the fluid. Just don't put in the 3.6 or 3.7 quarts the manual calls for, you'll overfill it like max said. Put in a little over 3 quarts, and check the level on the dipstick. The dipstick is directly over the passenger side cv axle with the yellow handle. I like red line 75w-90ns for the best/smoothest shifting, even in cold weather.

I don't think you will harm anything at all replacing the fluid. Just don't put in the 3.6 or 3.7 quarts the manual calls for, you'll overfill it like max said. Put in a little over 3 quarts, and check the level on the dipstick. The dipstick is directly over the passenger side cv axle with the yellow handle. I like red line 75w-90ns for the best/smoothest shifting, even in cold weather.

Ok great thanks!

The manual gearbox shares fluid with the diff, the auto has different sticks for the gearbox and the diff.

For a manual gearbox you can change it as much as you like. It's pretty simple when you have a dipstick to make sure it's right.

453747.png