LegacyGT.com

Won’t shift went accelerating hard

Have an 06 legacy with standard 2.5L and auto trans. Started noticing that when I push on the gas hard the car will rev up to almost redline and won’t shift until I let off the gas. This happens in all the gears. However when driving normal it shifts fine all the way to 4th gear with no issues.

Anyone have any ideas?

No does not shift - just revs up to top of its range. Minute I take my foot of throttle once RPMs drop a little it shifts. The tranny fluid is nice and purple and I had it changed less than 20k ago. Regular driving and tektronix appear to work fine.

In your shoes I'd probably try a TCU reset and go from there. Other posts I'm reading make it sound like you can only reset the TCU with a subaru select monitor, or FreeSSM.

Thanks for the recommendation for a TCM reset. Have to look into this.

For the other reply I do not know what reaching fuel cut means. I am having other issues with bank 1 running lean and U1221 and U1223 if that matters or can have an effect on shifting under heavy acceleration.

Fuel cut is the type of rev limiter on these cars. If you rev too far the ecu will cut fuel and engine will stutter hard and you’ll know it. If you haven’t hit it you may not be allowing the car to reach it’s shift point before letting off out of fear that you’ll hit redline. Just to confirm, your problem only happens when foot to the floor in sport mode?