LegacyGT.com

STI swapped outback, Blue or Green Coolant?

So I know 2008+ STI's use the blue coolant, and the rest use green. My question is why? What changed between these modelyears that caused the shift in formula. Is it engine related? Or radiator related? Or something else?

I ask because I am swapping an STI Type RA Shortblock into my 2007 Outback XT, but I'm keeping the stock intercooler and just about everything else and am wondering what coolant I should use after. When in doubt, run green, so if I don't receive a reasonable answer I'll probably just stick with green.

TL;DR: 2007 Outback XT with STI Shortblock, which coolant?

(also if anyone has any other advice, tips, or tricks on the swap, it would be appreciated)

Both my cars use Prestone or Peak Global. Been using that for many years with no issues.

My 05 wagon has a ej257 shortblock since may 2012. IMO you don't need to use the blue coolant.

A couple weeks back I bought some Prestone that say's its good for all systems. Read the bottle.

I see your new here, for most questions ask in the 4th Gen forum.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here