LegacyGT.com

Totalled Car

Today i was taking a left, no one was coming the guy was going up hill and did not see me and hit my car. Its a 2016 Subaru legacy limited 44k miles on it. Air bags on passenger side back and front came out. Bumper is damaged, wheel is bent in. Will this total my car? Hard to see inside because of the tints. I have only had it since September of 2015. If it is totaled what to buy? I would like awd and around 30k would be fine but no real restrictions.

http://imgur.com/gcEY2Hl

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry that happened to you. Hard to say if it is totaled, the insurance company will look at it and tell you what they think. If the damage is in the rear like that seems to be, it is usually easier to repair than the front.

New Legacy 3.6R? They are expensive, but also they can be heavily discounted.

Glad to hear that you are ok. In New York City if air bags deployed the car is totalled. This may vary from state to state. Hope everything works out for you.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

That doesn't look totalled at all to be honest. Probably somewhat dependent on the actual suspension/drivetrain damage. But as far as paint and body work it's only a rear quarter panel, rear bumper and the door looks like it could be repaired.

Hard to see inside because of the tints.

Expect some grief from the insurance companies involved because of the aftermarket window tint ... especially if it is darker than allowed by law.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

it all depends on the frame imo. wifes TL was hit from the back, ins totalled it because the frame was bent

Your wife's TL did not have a frame - it was a unibody car. When a unibody car gets tweaked, it loses a portion of its structural integrity and trueness. Its either impossible or prohibitively expensive to fix that on a car with an ACV of $20K when there is clearly $10K or more of damage evident.

Some low rent insurance companies or intellectually stupid adjusters might try to fix it, but by the time supplements are tabulated, the cost is going to pass the total threshold or the car is going to be slapdicked together to save on costs.

But by all means, let guys who have never work a day in a bodyshop or an hour behind and adjusters desk come in here and proclaim how this car is obviously not totalled.

Your wife's TL did not have a frame - it was a unibody car. When a unibody car gets tweaked, it loses a portion of its structural integrity and trueness. Its either impossible or prohibitively expensive to fix that on a car with an ACV of $20K when there is clearly $10K or more of damage evident.

Some low rent insurance companies or intellectually stupid adjusters might try to fix it, but by the time supplements are tabulated, the cost is going to pass the total threshold or the car is going to be slapdicked together to save on costs.

But by all means, let guys who have never work a day in a bodyshop or an hour behind and adjusters desk come in here and proclaim how this car is obviously not totalled.

http://i.imgur.com/B5BSVqH.png

Hope everyone is OK.

That being said, its YOUR duty to yield - no one 'hit' you. You were negligent in throwing your 3500 lbs projectile into the intersection and inhibiting someone else's right of way.

100% liability on you.

I did look and no one was coming, guy sped extremely fast from hill upwards without watching out.

Expect some grief from the insurance companies involved because of the aftermarket window tint ... especially if it is darker than allowed by law.

Yikes! Really? why though? It does not obscure my vision.

I see, so it is a unibody that i know and since its awd will it not be more expensive to fix it axel is damaged?

I really love this car and hope they fix it. Will the tints affect anything?

I see, so it is a unibody that i know and since its awd will it not be more expensive to fix it axel is damaged?

I really love this car and hope they fix it. Will the tints affect anything?

There are many factors that go into deciding whether to fix this car or not. Most insurance companies start to think about totalling a car when the cost to fix it surpasses 50% of its ACV (actual cash value). The photo you provided shows an obvious $10K of damages between parts, mechanical labor, and paint labor. If your car is a 2016 4 cylinder with 40K miles on it, the ACV should be around $20K. So right off the bat, an adjuster is thinking total loss. Any additional damage, such as airbags deploying or other types of issues would easily push this into the more clear total loss territory.

At the end of the day, it depends on how cheap/ghetto your insurance company is and how sharp your adjuster is. Its better for the company to cut you a $20k check than to spend 3 months $15K in shop fees, a couple K in rental car fees, and countless man hours trying to fix a car that cant easily be fixed.

If this were my car, seeing the damage present, I would push the company to declare it a total loss, take my pay off and go buy another Legacy.

Please let us know what the initial estimate says.

Just as a quick mental exercise, add up the subaru oem cost for a new wheel, tire, caliper, rotor, axle, differential. Im not talking about what Rockauto sells the parts for, Im talking about what Subaru OEM parts sells for. I bet just the parts total to fix the rear axle/wheel is $2500. We havent even started on paint and body labor and parts.

There are many factors that go into deciding whether to fix this car or not. Most insurance companies start to think about totalling a car when the cost to fix it surpasses 50% of its ACV (actual cash value). The photo you provided shows an obvious $10K of damages between parts, mechanical labor, and paint labor. If your car is a 2016 4 cylinder with 40K miles on it, the ACV should be around $20K. So right off the bat, an adjuster is thinking total loss. Any additional damage, such as airbags deploying or other types of issues would easily push this into the more clear total loss territory.

At the end of the day, it depends on how cheap/ghetto your insurance company is and how sharp your adjuster is. Its better for the company to cut you a $20k check than to spend 3 months $15K in shop fees, a couple K in rental car fees, and countless man hours trying to fix a car that cant easily be fixed.

If this were my car, seeing the damage present, I would push the company to declare it a total loss, take my pay off and go buy another Legacy.

Please let us know what the initial estimate says.

Bumper alone will be around 1700 paint part and installation, it's like I rented the car for almost two years. I will let everyone know what's happening when I find out. I instantly saw total loss when I saw it. Let's see what the adjuster says.

Your shop is ripping the insurance company. I had my front bumper replaced with genuine subaru part and paint, $1k. It's a more complicated part than the rear.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yes, because labor rates are EXACTLY the same from shop to shop and across regions of the country. So the shop rate in central indiana is exactly what the shop rate in New York City would be.

Yikes! Really? why though?

See: Contributory Negligence, Comparative Negligence

It does not obscure my vision.
That is your opinion, but an insurance company may allege otherwise.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

See: Contributory Negligence, Comparative Negligence

That may be your opinion, but an insurance company may think otherwise.

Liability is not contested here. OP admitted he made a left in front of the other vehicle.

Archived