LegacyGT.com

MAYDAY Subaru situation need ideas

CaptainH6

Ladies and gentlemen please give your best advice, bumps, rp, rt, make flyers, smoke signals, but mainly plausible solutions. My car is a 2007 subaru outback sedan llbean edition with the 3.0r h6 EZ30D.

Basically the worst possible event happened while replacing a very simple part. After a year of not knowing what my issue was I finally purchased the new intake active valve control solenoid, also known as an oil control valve. Upon removing the 10mm bolt and the old solenoid when I went to compare the solenoids (just because this dealership has had problems getting me parts before) the 10mm bolt fell right down the quarter size hole where the intake ocv goes. It was like slow motion I saw it fall bounce and fall right down. Tink tink then nothing but myself cursing.

The workers at this dealership tried to tell me that it would be 24hrs@$100/hr to remove the front engine plate, where the internal timing chain is. However I doubt they could access it this. See attached example image, the black ovalish part on the top left is the part i was replacing.

My biggest problem at the moment is not knowing what lies below the passenger side intake avcs/ocv. I don't have the ability to pull the pass side valve cover. I doubt highly that it could reach the pan from this location. I attempted to use a magnet with a bendable head to reach it but was unsuccessful. The vehicle was towed to my house and is in the garage. I did not and will not be starting it. Maybe I can access through the passenger forward intake manifold?

PLEASE give me some ideas starting with the most affordable, I'm 19 working in a walmart tire lube express and have a loan on the car. Time is of the essence.

I really hope this community can give me some guidance as 36 hours have passed and I'm feeling hopeless.

image.jpg.63cead5d44246ffc193e3fdc87fc56db.jpg

• Moderators

I would try to work it out with a magnet a bit more before doing much else. Small magnet, maybe drill a whole in it and tie on some dental floss and drop it down there to see if you have some luck?

If you really can't get it that way, It looks like maybe the head needs to come off, meaning timing components also?

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Maybe use one of those magnetic wands and VERY carefully insert it down the hole and see if the bolt sticks to it?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-Instruments-582-Telescoping/dp/B000M86W0M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1443208882&sr=8-4&keywords=magnetic+wand+automotive]Amazon.com: General Tools & Instruments 582 Telescoping Magnetic Pick Up Tool with Powerful LED Mini-Lite: Home Improvement[/ame]

Another idea is to see if you can use a videoscope to see if you can locate exactly where it is...

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MV400-5-5-Digital-Videoscope-Screen/dp/B0091DJY8Q]Amazon.com: Autel (MV400-5.5) Digital Videoscope with 3.5" Screen and 5.5mm Head: Automotive[/ame]

• Moderators

Regarding magnet sticking to other things, certainly possible but a lot of stuff there should be aluminum. Will require a bit of luck for sure :(

Overall I'd say calm down, take a deep breath, and follow up on all possible options before going the route of disassembly.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Yeah was the main thing, below the opening there is what I assume to be part of the cam maybe can sprocket? So getting around it is fine but I'm feeling around blind. The subaru dealer printed me diagrams that look like they came from a game boy micro so no help there.

Grab a shop vac, find a way to reduce the nozzle down to just large enough to fit the hole (collapse a toilet paper or paper towel center piece and some duct tape) and stick a something over the end to catch the bolt (something like pantyhose) or just clear out the shopvac first so you can find the bolt once it comes out. Might not work but won't hurt anything.

Archived