LegacyGT.com

Rear Deck Stealth Sub

Schrei Wolf

So after searching around I think I've decided on pass on an under seat unit and put one in the rear deck. My plan is to remove the 8" plate and install a Pioneer 8" Shallow Mount Sub. For power I was planning on pairing it with with a Pioneer GM-3400T. The goal is for a sub better than the OEM unit but not to rattle the sheet-metal to death. Both of these item can be had for about $160 off Amazon.

i dont understand why everyone is scared to install a custom enclosure in their ride. hell in the car audio world people buy vehicles for their system.

I agree

btw, I chose the Legacy because the slot above the OEM HU is the size of a double din:)

OEM HU Bypass > Car PC Monitor > Sound Card > DIY (homeade amplifiers) > 3 way active front stage + sub(woofer) > ears > love

The car audio world is everywhere!

Maybe I don't want to loose any trunk space? I could make a corner box, but that's not the point. I wanted something small, that wouldn't be noticed visually, without taking up trunk space, while still filling in were the factory system lacks. Long story short, I want more bump than an under seat unit but don't want to go as far as an enclosure.

I didn't buy this car for the audio... It bought it for everything else.

Maybe I don't want to loose any trunk space? I could make a corner box, but that's not the point. I wanted something small, that wouldn't be noticed visually, without taking up trunk space, while still filling in were the factory system lacks. Long story short, I want more bump than an under seat unit but don't want to go as far as an enclosure.

I didn't buy this car for the audio... It bought it for everything else.

That is why I have developed a Vehicle Specific Enclosure set to either Corner of the trunk, still allowing full access to the opening & closing of the spare tire lid.

I highly advise you to see whether or not you can mount a 10" driver fixed w/ a baffle. With IB (free air) applications, larger the cone area = better. Generally, that is why you see most IB installs using 15" or 18" drivers.

-Tyler

I'm doing this in January, don't have time on my days off this month. Definitely not using a POS shallow mount though. I'll take pics and post my opinions on it when I'm done.
MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

I'm doing this in January, don't have time on my days off this month. Definitely not using a POS shallow mount though. I'll take pics and post my opinions on it when I'm done.

Keep in mind, more cone area = better. However, if you plan on sticking w/ an 8" Driver, here are a few good choices:

ID 8" OR Arc 8"

DLS 0A8

Asendant Audio 8"

There is a few popular choices. I will see if I can pull out the 8" Free Air comparison if I can find it. The ID is definately the most popular (Arc, being pretty much the same (motor structure). If I can remember, I believed the ID scored "highest overall." The DLS 0A8" Scored a perfect 10 on SQ, but lacked a bit in "output." Hm, I am going to go see if I can dig up the thread/review. Keep in mind Qtc:)

Good luck!

-Tyler

That shallow is pretty good for what it is, I ran one with a smaller amp in a box on the driveshaft loop between the seats of my 94 Camaro. It was crisper than the Dual 10" enclosure I had in the trunk of my 93 240SX Coupe. I'll document the install for you Doc.

I've already decided on the DLS sub. Thanks for posting the options though, it'll help other members.

And this is probably the comparison you're talking about, Fiberglass.

Ha, yes. I am on that thread as well:) BTW, there is a pair of DLS 0A8"s on Diyma right now in the classifields. Last time I checked one was sold, but the other had not.

That shallow is pretty good for what it is, I ran one with a smaller amp in a box on the driveshaft loop between the seats of my 94 Camaro. It was crisper than the Dual 10" enclosure I had in the trunk of my 93 240SX Coupe. I'll document the install for you Doc.

I would take another look at the link that dbl posted. It was a great review on "IB 8" Sub(woofers) that would suit very well in your application, just choose accordingly. I am confident that you will be impressed & you will be when you compare to your old Shallow, but all up to you!

I'm sure that those would be but part of the thought is that I'm trying too make a decent setup that's nicer that the OEM Sub while still being cheaper than the OEM Sub. Also I don't want a sub hanging off down 6" from the rear deck. I know there are better options if I wanted a sub, but what I want is a low profile sub in the rear deck.

• Mega Users

very interested to see your results.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

I'm sure that those would be but part of the thought is that I'm trying too make a decent setup that's nicer that the OEM Sub while still being cheaper than the OEM Sub. Also I don't want a sub hanging off down 6" from the rear deck. I know there are better options if I wanted a sub, but what I want is a low profile sub in the rear deck.

Understood, check out Helix & ED (Elemental Design)

Both produce Shallow 8"s

-Tyler

Here's another shallow mount option. Admittedly, this one isn't particularly well suited for an application like this, but I wouldn't be surprised if it still outperformed the Pioneer. Either way, it's an option you could consider.
MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

I havent done car audio mods in some time. These shallow mount subs are cool. I saw this from a brand i used previously in jl audio...their 13.5" sub

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/public/3kBoVy-f0QCqjCHOW6Cu9zHep1Z68ta9gSlLZE7_ai3j6a8DLp-xpfVWakxEHKuhyUASJlkUeqjLizjeEFC1QpTENL6nh_fdnVd94MPENPUofDYutcrFjdEiR3jhsfzzgFjhVEJEqLV-pjDL_DSGdbmUmG_aLveiG0Nx5-L-D2tITNCS3l7FpsUiks5bGTs32g

Archived