LegacyGT.com

Driver side rear door won’t open

Happening to everyone these days, we're at that age. Your two main options are (1) paint a new one and (2) find a match on www.car-part.com. Might get lucky on fleaBay.

No no.. not the outside but something fell on the inside of the door that attaches to the door latch so when you try to open from the outside it's like a child lock but from the outside.. it still opens fine from the inside.

lucky for me I will be replacing the rear door speakers so I will pull the door panel off.. I get off work around 6 Pm so I wont have any time to do so until the weekends.

No no.. not the outside but something fell on the inside of the door that attaches to the door latch so when you try to open from the outside it's like a child lock but from the outside.. it still opens fine from the inside.

lucky for me I will be replacing the rear door speakers so I will pull the door panel off.. I get off work around 6 Pm so I wont have any time to do so until the weekends.

Just happened to my driver door. The exterior handle assembly is all one piece, so what likely happened is a plastic piece inside broke, so when the handle is pulled, it no longer moves the piece it needs to.

So its the exterior door handle assembly that you'll probably need to replace (colour matched)

Saw a video on youtube of a guy epoxying his back together, but that wasnt possible in my case.

Good luck

Just happened to my driver door. The exterior handle assembly is all one piece, so what likely happened is a plastic piece inside broke, so when the handle is pulled, it no longer moves the piece it needs to.

So its the exterior door handle assembly that you'll probably need to replace (colour matched)

Saw a video on youtube of a guy epoxying his back together, but that wasnt possible in my case.

Good luck

Why would it be the exterior handle if it's a part on the inside?

I've had 3 of my door handles brake. There's a plastic piece that's attached to a rotating metal piece that brakes off each one. I just order a new handle from Ebay and have a local auto paint shop make up a color coded mixed with clear coat rattle can. Spray paint it and install.
My wife's balls are delicious.

• 3 years later...

Yeah, has happened to me twice on a 2007 wagon, ignored driver side rear as easy to open with open driver door, but now the rear passenger door went too. So I found this video and at the 5:25 mark one can see the inner side of the exterior handle. The round silver piece is what falls and makes the noise, and I am guessing that the part (dark blue) which holds it in place by the orange plastic piece is what breaks off. I have not located that piece in the bottom part of the door, yet.

So the options are 1) ignore or 2) replace the entire unit. I am not above trying an epoxy repair if I can find the broken tab piece. It also didn't look like anything was broken off which was confusing.

Everything else on door is fine, just nothing happens when the external latch is lifted.

• 4 weeks later...