LegacyGT.com

Okay to treat rusty rotors?

I had new brakes done all around by a local shop. I'm not complaining, they work great now and it was in my price range. The thing that bugs me is the hub part of the rotors are now bright orange. Can I spray them with rust convertor/reformer? Don't know how this would react to high temps, but this is just my DD, not hard on them at all.

Wire brush them and spray them with high temp black paint.

Hey have you noticed the outter edge is doing the same thing. What are people going to think when they see your car with rusty edges on the rotors.

Oh BTW I tend to paint mine once a year are so. I do the calipers too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

do not spray crap into your brake area that will possibly get onto the braking contact surfaces. paint is okay because it dries and hardens. you're spraying a liquid in there... even if it dries, it can leave a residue that may run onto your braking surfaces.

next time get rotors that have their hubs already painted.

High Capacity has the right idea. There are some zinc coated rotors out there now that resist rust but I don't know of any reviews on them as such. Scuff the hub with a wire brush, mask off all but the hub, hit it with some rust oleum high temp. And NOT red either, or somebody will suggest that you drive a Honda.

Centric rotors come painted but after a few months they look just like all the other ones, rust all around.

I bought new rotors for the back just because of the rust like your describing and now theirs rust again 6 months later

Only way to prevent it is to not drive it or only in the summer/sunny days

I say just deal with it, there will ALWAYS be rust. ALWAYS

My DBA4000's on my wagon are rusting just like the stock rotors.

Wire brush the rust, mask off the brake pad surface and spray them with a $6.00 can of high temp paint.

Like I said above.

While your there, put anti seize compound on the caliper bolts when you put them back in.

Do you know how to remove the rotors ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

i bought the napa gold brand , they come with painted hub's and fins ( black ) and there coated with some zinc stuff, they dont get rust on the surface of the rotor . very nice rotors for the price , they where like 70 a piece , getting backs next month

I used the DulpiColor high temp wheel paint on my rotors before I installed them. I had those suckers practicly glowing red hot and the paint is hold up well. I would index them, remove them off the car and mask off the friction surfaces to get a good coat on them.

My DBA4000's on my wagon are rusting just like the stock rotors.

Wire brush the rust, mask off the brake pad surface and spray them with a $6.00 can of high temp paint.

Like I said above.

While your there, put anti seize compound on the caliper bolts when you put them back in.

Do you know how to remove the rotors ?

Painted the rotors and calipers on the wagon yesterday, yes I even did the edges of the rotors.

Can't see much but here are the after, I should have taken picture with off the car, but I was to busy... but you know what rusty looks like.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN5010.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN5011.jpg

And what the Spec's look like before.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN5012.jpg

Archived