LegacyGT.com

Noise on deceleration

I have a 2005 Legacy GT and i used to have a comp stage 2 clutch. It went out at 57K and always had a sound after install of a grinding noise only on deceleration of the car and it goes away after 20 MPH. In every gear it will do it. I just had the exedy stage 1 organic clutch put in and the trany shop put a new center diff in, new 5th gear and 2 new syncs and all new ball bearings and it still makes the same noise. Every thing else looked good from the trany shop and the rear was clean he said. Has anyone had this experience with this noise. Maybe drive shaft or a imput shaft was very sligh bent? IDK anymore and im pissed i spen 4 K and it still sounds the same.

• 3 weeks later...

Do you still run the dual mass flywheel? Maxcapacity told me switching to a lightened flywheel could cause noises. I think he was right cause I'm on the second one with the same clutch.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I have what you could describe as a grinding noise with the 6MT on my spec.B when in gear and decelerating. The noise appeared after I installed the Cobb front/rear shifter bushings. If I give even a minimal amount of throttle (just enough to unload the rear-face of the gears, I imagine) the sound vanishes. I think it's normal, and my car's been operating just fine. Not sure if it's the same thing you're hearing.

Coast down a long hill and see if the noise goes away. I have learned to put the tranny in neutral and coast when coming to stop sign's and such. If the noise goes away don't worry about it.

My wagon has made the decal noise for years. The read diff fluid comes out clean and there is very little metal on the drain plug.

I have learned that putting the 18" Spec B wheels on the car makes the noise louder. I just swapped over to those wheels and noticed the increase with in minutes.

My tranny was rebuilt last xmas, VC let go and contaminated all the bearings. Replace the propeller shaft last Fall, so its tight. I could very that carrier bearing going out when I rested my right elbow on the center arm rest.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived