LegacyGT.com

Technical info on BOV/BPV Set up and operation

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it's a Blitz BOV and in the pictures I was sent it looks rather new and untouched. I decided not to do it though. Thanks for all of your guys' help! Even though it's an awesome deal, I wouldn't know what to do if it messed something up....Not very many Legacy owners around here.....Thanks again guys! :)

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...
Quick search turned up this thread. My stock bpv sounds like it vta all the time at low rpm. My mods are bnr16g, stock de catted up and down pipe to a single exit exhaust. I took the bpv off today, and there was minimal oil and what looked like a good seal. Normal?

I read through some of the sticky but...

Does the stock BPV operate on the same principle as say the Perrin or Turbosmart BOV? Why I ask is my Perrin BOV was having some issues and I swapped out for the stock. The stock seemed to work fine. Could there be an issue with the hose that connects that would affect the Perrin but not the stock? Is the only reason the stock starts to leak/fail is because of the materials being plastic and the "disk" simply not holding the pressure (e.g. it's not because of the spring...the turbo pressure itself should hold the disk shut, right?)

Thanks.

Edited by caramall2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Not with a 02-07/04-14 WRX/STI-type flange. They're different than the 4th Gen Legacy/08+WRX/Forester flanges Edited by SBT
spelling
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Legacy GT BPV/BOV flange

http://www.jscspeed.com/images/catalog/category4608_thumb_full.jpg

02-07 WRX/04+STI BPV Attachment

http://www.jscspeed.com/images/products/f5642c902bf99f29.jpg

• 9 months later...
Question my LGT came with a HKS SSQV and on each shift you get the turbo flutter sound, I assume the car was tuned with the BOV in mind however I worry about it and what it's doing to the turbo life? The car has a FMIC and I don't know if a recirc kit would really cure it?

The video in the main post of the S13 with apparent "Compressor surge" is not compressor surge. Compressor surge occurs when boost creeps so high and uncontrollably that it can no longer be regulated and released and continues to rise. Not having a BOV doesn't cause any harm and has never been proven to destroy a turbo. Engines don't like it and obviously aren't tuned for it, but it won't hurt. The sound in the video posted is just turbo flutter, the sound of air stalling and hitting the compressor fins at an undesirable, but not damaging, angle.

Compressor surge = bad. very bad. and will immediately kill your engine, but you won't see that on stock parts

Compressor flutter = annoying (as it causes harsh gear shifts) and silly, but not damaging.

Edited by o2fst4uo

• 2 years later...
Not sure what your altitude-effect might have on it, but I replaced my BPV with a recirculating BOV because the MAF is measuring the amount of air in the system and adjusting fuel and timing accordingly. VTA releases some of that measured air, out of the system, and that can affects AFRs. At your altitude, there may be greater effect.

Okay i got my new Perrin Throttle body hose and my GFB respond BOV put on. Can someone show me a pic of there AVO TMIC with a Perrin Thottle body hose placement clocking direction? Im not getting all 17 lbs of boost now, im getting 10 lbs. I do not hera a leak at all. Seeing if i have the hose clocked in the right direction.