LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

good to know, thanks for the info.

for me tho, i'm trying to have all the parts on hand to reduce the actual down time of the car. if I run into problems it is good to know there is another option.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, they bought the donor car on friday, 04 STI (was hoping for an 06, but I guess I can't complain too much).

I have clutch and fluids in hand thus far :lol: DCCD controller is in the mail and I'm picking up my driveshaft tomorrow.

what is the final list I'll need for 04:

Tranny (not sure if it is the stub or stubless one at this point and probably won't find out until I get it) with shift linkage, knob etc

Fork and Slave (will I need the master too?)

Flywheel

R180 diff (can I use my axles or do I need the 04STI axles?)

Mike, do you have pics of the NSS, how are they different and can u explain this anymore, thanks for the help guys-

ok, they bought the donor car on friday, 04 STI (was hoping for an 06, but I guess I can't complain too much).

I have clutch and fluids in hand thus far :lol: DCCD controller is in the mail and I'm picking up my driveshaft tomorrow.

Tranny (not sure if it is the stub or stubless one at this point and probably won't find out until I get it) with shift linkage, knob etc

Flywheel

Mike, do you have pics of the NSS, how are they different and can u explain this anymore, thanks for the help guys-

groff,

if it's a 2004 it is STUBBED, you will need to order 05+ Sti or legacy front axle seals.

the NSS off your current transmission will transfer right over, as will the reverse sensor.

you cannot use the R180 rear diff, without 07+ Spec.B axles.. ( i have NOT confirmed even if they fit.)

until you can get either the conversion (R160 outer -> r180 inner) or the spec b axels, you will have to find a 3.90 rear diff..

i got a non-lsd one out of a 2004 legacy.

if you want a VLSD, you will have to get a re-geared WRX unit, or re-gear your current one.

-Z0rr0

groff,

copied from my last post.

You can, from what I heard use a drive shaft out of 05 or new legacy A/T. If the A/T driveshaft overall length is between 63.50" & 63.88". It should work.

If your drive shaft is around this length, it should work. Hope this helps.

Mike

i can CONFIRM that this works. 2005 2.5i 4EAT propshaft. works great :)

Flywheel

groff,

The short of it, is the 6MT's NSS will make your GT's cruise control "SET" in "N" only. That's no good. You need the NSS out of your car's OEM 5MT. I used mine out of my 05 & it works.

The R180, If you have whole rear end assy. You maybe, can swap that in and under the GT. The 04 is the last STi to have the 5x100mm bolt pat. That the only way the R180 will work. without buying custom half shafts and what Z0rr0 said in his post.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

I bet you can use R180 if you get 07+ SpecB drive shafts. SpecB has R180 and 5x100 hubs. I checked that part numbers for the SpecB are different form both STI and regular GT, so I would speculate these are "hybrid" drive shafts that work with LGT hubs and R180 diff.

Yap, that what Z0rr0 said in post # 208.

groff, you also need to do 1 of these 3 thing, for shifting linkage. 1st 2 click on link.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1568782&postcount=149

The 3rd, is get a 07 Spec.B shifter or at lease a pair of shifter support rod & shifting rods.

Mike

ya, i was kinda peeved it wasnt an 06 as that would have been the easiest swap but oh well. and just found out my buddy's dad threw away the 3.9 R&P he was saving for me just in case. so, now i'm not sure what route i'm going to take 100%.

are the 04sti rear axles different on the hub side from the lgt ones? i kind of figured i could use them since the bolt pattern is 5x100. am I going to need different diff braces now w/ the r180? i just want to get the final list to the place pulling it of what i need, but i don't want get a bunch of extra stuff that i don't need :lol:

i'll call my connection about the 07spec b axles, tho i cant imagine thats going to be a cheap option either.

just bought my flywheel tonight, ships tomorrow and i'll need to get it resurfaced.

Yap, that what Z0rr0 said in post # 208.

groff, you also need to do 1 of these 3 thing, for shifting linkage. 1st 2 click on link.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1568782&postcount=149

The 3rd, is get a 07 Spec.B shifter or at lease a pair of shifter support rod & shifting rods.

Mike

i cant just use the shift linkage off the 6sp, dang. i'll need to pick up the spec shift linkage? :icon_roll i'll give a call about that as well. zorro what did you do for the linkage??

i'm going to just get the R180 and sti rear axles, then have auto creek (local shop i've had do some work) check and see if they can separate and create hybrids from an extra set of lgt axles they have laying around. if not, i'll explore the spec b ones or 3.9 r160 route. i'll hold off on the linkage too, i can normally get parts overnight if need be.

i cant just use the shift linkage off the 6sp, dang. i'll need to pick up the spec shift linkage? :icon_roll i'll give a call about that as well. zorro what did you do for the linkage??

Yes, that's opt.#1. It will put the shifter forward in the hole. My acc [ash-tray] door is open all the time, because of my radar detector. I did opt.#2 because the shifter will hit the ACC door shifting to 3rd.

Mike

Edited by HAMMER DOWN

Yes, that's opt.#1. It will put the shifter forward in the hole. My acc [ash-tray] door is open all the time, because of my radar detector. I did opt.#2 because the shifter will hit the ACC door shifting to 3rd.

Mike

i used the stock 2004 sti 6-sp linkage. it does not hit the acc door when shifting at all, it ends up about 1/2" away in 3rd or 5th.

o, my door is only open when getting change so hopefully no worries. we'll find out soon enough hopefully, only this still up in the air is the axles and i'll figure that out when the parts arrive :lol:

whats the front axle pulling secret? they're getting hung up inside the tranny. i've only done stubs before on a wrx swap, haven't done the stubless like this. help please and thanks.

whats the front axle pulling secret? they're getting hung up inside the tranny. i've only done stubs before on a wrx swap, haven't done the stubless like this. help please and thanks.

Just yank it.

I talk to him last night. The GT 5MT's half shaft are 1 piece. Unlike the 2 pieces haft shaft used in 04 & before. You need more room to get the GT's half shaft out of the transaxle. Just unbolting the strut from the top of the spindle hub. Will not give you the room you need. I just pop out the lower ball joint. Unseat the half shaft, then push out the botten of the spindle-strut assy. & pull the half shaft out of the transaxle at the same time. Then I put 2x4 block of wood between the strut & the inner fender. To hold the them out & zip-tie the half shafts up & out of the way. This way you don't mess-up your front wheel alinement. If I had to do it again. I would remove the half shaft\front spindle assy. It's a tight fit swapping in the bigger STi 6MT transaxle.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/100_4311.jpg http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/100_4313.jpg http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/100_4310.jpg http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/100_4308.jpg

Mike

Edited by HAMMER DOWN

Unbolting the strut from the knuckle does the trick. If you push on the knuckle/hub assembly it will pull the axle out. I did it not quite intentionally ;)

groff couldn't get his out that way. So I told the way I did it. I haven't heard back from him yet, on how he made out. Hope things went well.

Thank unclemat for the correction. I didn't think there was enough room that way & groff problem comfirmed it, I thought:redface:. The old 2 piece yes, but the 1 piece,didn't think so.

Mike

actually, i tried it hammer downs way first, but really i should have just done it my way first :lol: tonight i pushed the axles back into the tranny all the way, and they popped out of the hubs, i wiggled them free and then popped out of the tranny. everything is out except for the actual tranny itself. i only get a couple hours each day, so its tough getting everything out and putting it all back away in that time too :lol: anyway, tranny should be out tomorrow night, and the new one is being delivered wednesday. i'll be grabbing those axles and my old rears and running em down to my shop early thursday morning i guess if i don't take wednesday afternoon off to see how quickly they can whip me up some new ones.

things are finally starting to come together, there is a light at the middle of the tunnel :lol:

It's not in my thread, I didn't go that way. rao said they won't work.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1153692&postcount=15

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1153729&postcount=17

I'm just guessing, if the R180 is stronger & hold more tq. maybe the shaft has a bigger OD.

Mike