LegacyGT.com

2012 Legacy (Liberty) GT dim low beam

My wife complained of dim headlights in her car last Winter. They were a little dim, but when I saw them to check it was dusk and I reckoned they were....OK. Both headlight cowls were scored and dull, so I used a plastic polishing kit to shine them up. It worked very well and helped, but still not startling.

What really brought it home was driving into our home in the pretty well dark tonight and even my wife admitted that they worse than they had been. I had to admit they were dangerous. Also, we went into and underground parking lot and I could see that other cars' headlights were just lighting up stuff that we were not getting.

Recently I replaced one of the globes (biznitch of a job!). We hoped that maybe it was the dead globe that that had dulled things. But this evening I went out with my wife in the car, and the headlights are next to useless. This not just the side I fixed, but the other side as well (which I re-polished and obtained an even better finish.. The light actually seems to be deteriorating.

The globes our car uses are 35w Xenon globes... I bought Narva, but the Phillips eq. is a D2R, I think. I struggle to find another reference to these! These should shine like the sun ( they cost enough!).

Parkers and other lights including Hi-beam, are perfectly OK, so I assume my polishing efforts have not cause some mysterious effect.

Is there something to look for that is failing, or an adjustment that can be made?

Appreciate any help

Nick

Edited by OldNick

Out of curiosity, are you using the "auto" setting on the headlight switch, or are you manually turning them off and on? If the daylight sensor on the dash burns out, the low beams will never actually turn on. Drove the car home in the rain like that just after I bought it, thinking that the headlights were way crappier than I would have expected, but that was because all I had lit up was the DRLs. I'll be honest, I don't even know if the AU market cars have daytime running lights, so this may not even apply for you.

You mention having HIDs- it could be that the reflector bowls inside the headlight housing are burnt. I'm not sure how the reflector coating differs between housings used with factory HIDs vs. halogens, but I've heard of burnt bowls happening with HID retrofit kits, and I suppose it's not impossible with factory HIDs.

Since the OP mentioned Liberty and HID, I assume this is an Oz car?

These have factory HID projectors. When the reflector goes, they are gone and light output goes with them.

High beams were not affected as these come from a different bulb and reflector.

Easiest fix is replace the assemblies, but are $$$.

You can get the projectors only replaced, cheaper but a lot of work.

I am not sure which projector works best with our housings. The Retrofit Source offers a kit that covers our model years but they are made for US cars and I'm not sure if they will fit our lights.

And if you go this route, please do not buy the cheap chinese assemblies. They are terrible, hence why you always should go OEM with headlight assemblies.

Since the OP mentioned Liberty and HID, I assume this is an Oz car?

These have factory HID projectors. When the reflector goes, they are gone and light output goes with them.

High beams were not affected as these come from a different bulb and reflector.

You can get the projectors only replaced, cheaper but a lot of work.

I am not sure which projector works best with our housings. The Retrofit Source offers a kit that covers our model years but they are made for US cars and I'm not sure if they will fit our lights.

Thanks for the reply.

A whole new world. You mention projector and reflector and assembly:confused:.

So the projector is the bulbous lens in front of the headlight element? I assumed these did not also have a reflector. Really sorry. Not being a SmAa, just needing to make sure.:confused:

Having just replaced the actual "bulb" I am aware of what needs to be done to get into the unit and replace stuff.....it's a PITA (HAH! As I replaced the last popper studs under the bumper I saw that the foglight glass was broken :mad:) So I assume I would need to do that again.

But are those bulbous lenses what is failing? They look clear. Is there something _behind_ the globe that fails?

As I replaced one of the globes and the problem has not gone away it has to be something else.

And if you go this route, please do not buy the cheap chinese assemblies. They are terrible, hence why you always should go OEM with headlight assemblies.

Yes, I start to see that. There is a lot of work to replace these. But I have to say that the performance of the OEM stuff does not exactly make me happy. I start to understand why I see so many modern cars with missing headlights, tail lights etc. :mad:

Out of curiosity, are you using the "auto" setting on the headlight switch, or are you manually turning them off and on? If the daylight sensor on the dash burns out, the low beams will never actually turn on. Drove the car home in the rain like that just after I bought it, thinking that the headlights were way crappier than I would have expected, but that was because all I had lit up was the DRLs. I'll be honest, I don't even know if the AU market cars have daytime running lights, so this may not even apply for you.

You mention having HIDs- it could be that the reflector bowls inside the headlight housing are burnt. I'm not sure how the reflector coating differs between housings used with factory HIDs vs. halogens, but I've heard of burnt bowls happening with HID retrofit kits, and I suppose it's not impossible with factory HIDs.

Obviously I need to check that DRL thing! But yeah in this thread the reflector thing starts to sound like a goer: as I said it is deteriorating.

I guess my question is: Can I get a replacement, simple Halogen globe, even if I have to change the holder? The HID is fabulously expensive (Aud $100+/ globe) and a PITA to fit (this whole thing is a PITA) and videos of other replacements look a whole lot easier. Also HID lights for low beam? Really?

Whinge over :)

Nick

Thanks for the reply.

A whole new world. You mention projector and reflector and assembly:confused:.

So the projector is the bulbous lens in front of the headlight element? I assumed these did not also have a reflector. Really sorry. Not being a SmAa, just needing to make sure.:confused:

Having just replaced the actual "bulb" I am aware of what needs to be done to get into the unit and replace stuff.....it's a PITA (HAH! As I replaced the last popper studs under the bumper I saw that the foglight glass was broken :mad:) So I assume I would need to do that again.

But are those bulbous lenses what is failing? They look clear. Is there something _behind_ the globe that fails?

As I replaced one of the globes and the problem has not gone away it has to be something else.

I assume we have the same headlights:

2TegamX.jpg

That bulbous lens in front of the headlight element is the lens of the projector. The hole you inserted the bulb into and fastened the bulb to is the base of the projector. The other side of the hole where the bulb emerges, which is behind the lens, is the reflector.

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRwH7jORzz5a9XHD1Jgh2R07Rcc8TQs8sbCFT_bGJ5PT5Qg5BGv&usqp=CAU

Its a well known issue with the headlights. The problem is with burned out lens reflector which looks like this:

89bdd7es-960.jpg

There is nothing bad in purchasing chinese hella 3r lens on aliexpress for up to 100 usd, just take the one with good feedback. I have solved same problem 4 years ago and my headlights are still fresh and shiny.

The only issue is the high beam blind is shaking a little (i have installed bixenon lens) on bad roads.

All you need is to purchase the lens, laser cut the lens conversion bracket, headlight glass sealing tape.

Take the headlights out, heat the glass with heatgun, separate it from the body, remove old lens, cut some inner bracket to fit conversion frame, install the new lens, pair the wires from high beam to the lens shade, apply new sealant and put the glass on. Thats it.

Wgen you do it, i recommend to fix the headlight before lens removal, switch it on and draw the beam contour. The after replacement fix the headlight same way and adjust the bracket angle with spacers for the same light cpntour to keep the same light beam configuration.

If you need, i can write a thread in details about this repair (if not done already)

Perfect! Yes, I do recall now you mentioned fixing up your lights previously, you also posted the appropriate projector and even the details of the bracket I think? I just dont remember which thread that was in.

Please do post up the details again, I hope to do an upgrade in the future!

WOW! You guys are great! Having said that it leaves me with a lot of into to process. Getting at this stuff is such a PITA. I will see if I can work out what is what by peering through the front end at first (and I bet that is a waste of time).

I am angry that I am doing this to a less than 10 yo car and a top of the range one for Subaru as well.!

Nick

Thanks Brunzo, bookmarked!

OP, check if there are people who do headlight retrofits in your area. With the info in Brunzo's link they can easily do your headlights for you, if they dont know already.

The only other option IMO would be new whole OEM headlights, as used ones might be burned as well.

BTW the projector reflectors cant usually be seen from the outside as you can see through the lens, and the lens bezel covers up the sides.

Another option is to restore the reflector, but here where i live it costs twice the bixenon lens price. But Bixenon has one more advantage - more high beam light is never enough.

Hi guys. Thanks for the input and an interesting chat.

Having thought about this, I am pretty much decided to remove one unit and actually try to see what the problem is. I may take photos and post them up here and based on that I would welcome discussion.

Seems to me that the _easiest_ and quickest option, if not the cheapest, is to simply buy aftermarket entire units and replace the old ones (if that is what is needed). In Oz, it costs Aud$600/pair. Part of that decision is because the cowls were seriously scratched and sun-damaged. I used a plastic polishing kit and it comes up well, but I get the feeling I will be doing it more and more often as time goes on, because I did one lens and I reckon it's already deteriorating again.

Nick.

Some of these repair options I would need further explanation: I am not thick but this is a whole new world to me, who is used to working on older vehicles.

we're all here to help if you've got questions(and we know the answers!).

if you're polishing out your headlights and not protecting the fresh plastic with UV resistant clear coat or other means they are just going to deteriorate again quickly. you can go through the process of sanding them down, polishing them up, and covering them in some paint protection film, or use a UV blocking clear paint and the clearness should last for a couple years.

we're all here to help if you've got questions(and we know the answers!).

if you're polishing out your headlights and not protecting the fresh plastic with UV resistant clear coat or other means they are just going to deteriorate again quickly. you can go through the process of sanding them down, polishing them up, and covering them in some paint protection film, or use a UV blocking clear paint and the clearness should last for a couple years.

OK. Thanks! So once they go they are weakened. Sounds reasonable. The damage is right through, I know that. From my boating, I have UV varnish, but it is not clear, but designed to give a golden tint. Is there a special clear coat for UV resistance.

Once again thanks. If you guys are wiling to talk me through, a saving of $600 would be nice :)

Nick

there's tutorials all over youtube on how to polish headlights. chrisfix's is pretty straight forward.

you can get cheap wet/dry sandpaper on ebay and a cheap foam polisher set for your drill if you don't have another polisher. for the paint...i don't know what brands yall have in aus, but your local hardware store should have a selection of clear coats, some should say UV protection on the label, that should work just fine.

my last outback had gnarly bad headlights, took a few hours and did this one day, sprayed a few coats of clear on there and they were crystal for another 4 years. cost about $40 in materials all said and done, and i still have heaps of extra sandpaper still lying around.

Thanks for chipping in. Yeah I got the polishing part OK, but it was the really clear coat that that I have not seen. As I say the _really_ clear coats I have not met.

Geeze! What was wrong with glass cowls?

Nick