LegacyGT.com

Hmm? Good Floor Jack Jack Stand Points...

Where are they :D

Im about to install my Kartboy shifter bushings but I only now realize that my buddy can't make good on the ramps. So jack and jackstands it is.

For those of you that had your car up in the air lets hear where you put your jack/ jackstands.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the rear, use the differential. As for the front, I just used the factory jack/jacking points, though the Legacy does have a front jacking point. It's sufficiently far back and the car sufficiently low, that I don't know how you'd get to it except with a low-profile jack.

Kevin

I found a good spot was where the lower front control arm comes back to meet the frame. If you look at that part of the frame, it is real solid with 3 layers of metal, I then put the stand on the rear pivot point of the lower control arm.

At the rear, use the differential. As for the front, I just used the factory jack/jacking points, though the Legacy does have a front jacking point. It's sufficiently far back and the car sufficiently low, that I don't know how you'd get to it except with a low-profile jack.

Kevin

Guest *Jedimaster*
Rear is the diff. Front are the jacking points. There's a front jacking spot in the center, but it's far back as Kevin mentioned. Even with the Outback XT, I don't think my jack would make it under that far.

I found a good spot was where the lower front control arm comes back to meet the frame. If you look at that part of the frame, it is real solid with 3 layers of metal, I then put the stand on the rear pivot point of the lower control arm.

Ditto.

Of course, if I install STi or similar springs I might have a problem. A 20mm drop is about 3/4 inch. Doh!

Tom

Costco sells an ultra-low jack made by Arcam (blue in color), in-store only. It is around $70-80 and is nicely made. They also sell an all aluminum version for 2-3 times as much.....nice and light, if you care.

I had a '91 CRX (already a low car) with H&R springs on it. I never had any issues getting the jack underneath, so it should work fine with the Legacy lift points. I will check it out and report back once my car is delivered later this month.

• 10 months later...
Costco sells an ultra-low jack made by Arcam (blue in color), in-store only. It is around $70-80 and is nicely made. They also sell an all aluminum version for 2-3 times as much.....nice and light, if you care.

Anyone have/tried this jack yet??

I did my routine oil change at 3k miles and found it just annoying having to use 2 jacks (1 on the side jack point, and 3 ton in the middle) to get car in the air, then support the car at front jacking points with jackstands,...

I will buy the smaller jack if itll work, but im thinking the small run-up ramps for lowered cars (if I can find it locally) to get car a few inches higher off the ground to get my 2 ton under the front of the car,..

Just a little more humbug,..:p

Kevin

Holy thread rebirth! j/k

With the STi springs, my 3-ton doesn't quite fit under the front. As a free fix, I took some scrap 2 x 10 (about 18 inches long) and bevelled one end so it is easy to drive up on. Then I can get the jack underneath. Works like a charm.

Tom

I drive the front wheels up onto a pair of 2x6 boards, slide a hydraulic jack under the main front crossmember, jack up the vehicle, place a pair of stands under the suspension brackets, then jack up the rear with the jack under the differential, and place the rear stands at the body seams (where the factory jack fits). I use a piece of 2x4 as a cushion between the jack stands and the vehicle metal.

I drive the front wheels up onto a pair of 2x6 boards, slide a hydraulic jack under the main front crossmember, jack up the vehicle, place a pair of stands under the suspension brackets, then jack up the rear with the jack under the differential, and place the rear stands at the body seams (where the factory jack fits). I use a piece of 2x4 as a cushion between the jack stands and the vehicle metal.

+50EXP. i do the same thing. i'm on eibachs.

• 1 month later...

I recently purchased a Craftsman floor jack and jack stands and I want to make sure I have this right after reading this thread. Keep in mind, I've never used floor jacks or jack stands (other than the one from the factory to change the tire) :)

1) You can use the rear differential itself to lift the rear of the car. (I haven't looked too closely, but wouldn't that be unstable?).

It also seems you can use the four regular jack points (for factory floor jack) for both the Craftmans floor jack and the jack stands.

I'm still unsure about where that front center jack point. Does anyone have pics??

Anyway, appreciate any help and sorry if the answer is obvious.

Thanks!

-Moto

For front I use the tow hook to jack the car up, then put jack stand on jack point. I am guessing that if the hook is strong enough to pull the car, it should be strong eoungh to pick it up....or may be not...try at your own risk. I am too lazy to drive on blocks and then jack at the front subframe.

Archived