LegacyGT.com

ABS and Traction control light coming on while driving

Hey guys I've looked around for this topic already but can't seem to find a thing, my 09 leggy (N/A) is having some really weird issues. I'll be driving, and my abs and traction control lights both come on. And it seems like one of my wheels locks up for like a fraction of a second, and if I pull over and turn my car off while the lights are on, my car won't start. But last night, the same thing happened, and i pulled over and turned my car off for about 5 minutes and turned it back on and drove home. Please help! I have already tried replacing my battery, and I checked to see if it was my alternator and my battery was at 14.12 volts

• I Donated Too

Well there's a lot going on here.

Let's start with those ABS lights/Traction control. Have you seen your dash say Er 55 at anytime? It's "Error Speed Sensor" - and on an 09 it's usually pretty good about displaying that if there is a fault there.

Brake fluid level - usually puts the 'brake' light on but worth a check - and finally I will mention traction control will illuminate if the rollover cable in the steering wheel is broken or if the steering wheel zero point is off if you have been playing around with that for any reason. That usually won't interrupt the ABS though.

Otherwise it looks like a bunch of electrical gremlins which might all be related - so I would start with really making sure your grounds are good, clean the battery terminals AGAIN and make sure they are really on tight - even with a new battery. I have noticed on my car(s) the battery posts seem to be getting smaller (cost savings!?) and the clamps need lead shims which you can get from Autozone and the like for a few bucks and that has helped get a tighter bite on the battery posts eliminating any silly business.

See if your local auto parts store will read the code and if they can tell you which wheel speed sensor is bad. Not all stores will read them but some will, for free.

Check that out next.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

See if your local auto parts store will read the code and if they can tell you which wheel speed sensor is bad. Not all stores will read them but some will, for free.

Check that out next.

Don't need to do that, there's a code reader built-in to all '05-'09 LGTs. Search the forums.

OP: Is the "traction control light" on the left or the right side of the gauge cluster? There's two lights that look similar, one is the VDC light (that will flash when the car's VDC or TC systems kick in), and the other is the traction control disable light, which will only light up if traction control has been disabled by the button next to the mirror adjustment joystick (left of the steering wheel). The VDC light is on the right side of the gauge cluster, the TC OFF light on the left.

Do the ABS/VDC lights come on for a split second, or do they stay on? Has the car had any modifications done to it? Perhaps any recent maintenance involving the wheels (i.e. brakes, wheel bearings, axles, etc.)?

Don't need to do that, there's a code reader built-in to all '05-'09 LGTs. Search the forums.

OP: Is the "traction control light" on the left or the right side of the gauge cluster? There's two lights that look similar, one is the VDC light (that will flash when the car's VDC or TC systems kick in), and the other is the traction control disable light, which will only light up if traction control has been disabled by the button next to the mirror adjustment joystick (left of the steering wheel). The VDC light is on the right side of the gauge cluster, the TC OFF light on the left.

Do the ABS/VDC lights come on for a split second, or do they stay on? Has the car had any modifications done to it? Perhaps any recent maintenance involving the wheels (i.e. brakes, wheel bearings, axles, etc.)?

Oh you mean this, ;)

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/CELcodereaderina05_zpseda523cf.png

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived