LegacyGT.com

Air Conditioner Acting Strange After Dealer Charge/Service To System

I have a 95 2.2 wagon. Got my A/C charged/serviced a month ago at the Subie dealer ($120) so I started using it for the first time this past week. Before I got it charged it was working fine just was blowing cool air and not cold air. Now after the visit the A/C is clicking under the hood behind the passenger side firewall like some type of a relay or sending unit sound occurs. It is also making that sound when im stopped at an idle it clicks on and off it sounds like the idle of the car is changing and the A/C is surging cold air while the compressor is turning on and off. It is not a rapid on and off but a short delay between clicks. Or when im under load it clicks and you can tell it's turning on and off the compressor because the car is noticeably losing power with the A/C on. It also is surging cold air on and off while that is happening. I know the compressor is working but this sounds like a thermostat sending unit or relay issue. Any ideas? Thanks...

have you taken it back to the dealer and told them they made it worse?

" hello i had my car seviced here less than a month ago for a/c issues. i got the car back and it works the same still but now there are a bunch of new problems"

if you didnt do the work yourself its ok to blame other people.

have you played with your relays yet, they are all the same. take one you knows works from somewhere else and switch them. other thing stops working, a'/c starts working you would then know your problem.

also the blower motor is in the position on the passenger side as you described. is your ac blowing air full time even hot and cold. Or is it cold because its blowing and then the blowing stops?

just some suggestions for you. hopefully you can narrow some things down for us.

have you taken it back to the dealer and told them they made it worse?

" hello i had my car seviced here less than a month ago for a/c issues. i got the car back and it works the same still but now there are a bunch of new problems"

if you didnt do the work yourself its ok to blame other people.

have you played with your relays yet, they are all the same. take one you knows works from somewhere else and switch them. other thing stops working, a'/c starts working you would then know your problem.

also the blower motor is in the position on the passenger side as you described. is your ac blowing air full time even hot and cold. Or is it cold because its blowing and then the blowing stops?

just some suggestions for you. hopefully you can narrow some things down for us.

I called the dealer back and told them about this issue so they gave me another appointment this Thursday with a loaner. I am not sure about the relays or anything that has to do with the system to be honest that's why I am asking here. The blower motor is consistently blowing fine through the speeds as well. It is not the blower motor clicking on and off. On the A/C part that is in that passenger side area under the hood that is all aluminum. I did notice a little sight glass and you can see that it is a green color looking into it.

I have an update for anyone who is interested with my dealer visit to resolve my A/C issue. The Tech states as follows; "Evacuate and measured refrigerant level. level normal. test drive car to check vent temp. 42 degree vent temp at 84 degree ambient. Noted large amount of tracer dye in system with no external visible marking. Compressor cycles when temperature is reached. Normal function to prevent evaporator freeze over". So now it is working fine and they gave me a 2016 Legacy for a loaner and I was not charged for the return visit.

So all is good now?

If it is, they prob fucked something up and didn't want to admit it lol I've seen it happen before and that's prob why they took it on the chin for the loaner and appt lol

Exactly..Im friendly with the one guy in service and he has been pretty honest with me since I have met him because he likes my LGT. He called me when my wagon was ready and kind of let me know that the tech's that are there on the weekends are pretty much there to change oil. That is when I went there for my A/C service. So you are right. Somebody shit the bed the first time and they had to redo the whole system. It is working great now like it should. Now im nervous because the parts came in for my LGT airbag recall. Im setting my valet mode on my AP and hoping they don't destroy my interior while doing the work. A lot of guy's on here have not been too happy about when their cars have been returned to them after that works been done.

I think they initially put too much refrigerant in it; evacuating and pumping(the correct amount) refrigerant probably fixed it. I've seen this happen in a friend's Accord when he used those recharge cans to try to get his A/C to blow colder; his was so bad that the motor was almost stalling every time the compressor kicked on. We fixed his by simply evacuating the A/C system until the low-side was in spec(and the hot side coincided).

It should be noted that the correct way to add refrigerant is by weight.

my friends shop gets a lot of work from people leaving the dealers around him after they get other work done, they dont deal with aftermarket stereos or alarms so they just cut the wires and leave the aftermarket stuff hanging. we end up rewiring the remote starts and alarms all the time

my friends shop gets a lot of work from people leaving the dealers around him after they get other work done, they dont deal with aftermarket stereos or alarms so they just cut the wires and leave the aftermarket stuff hanging. we end up rewiring the remote starts and alarms all the time

Im lucky that I have no aftermarket audio stuff installed in my LGT. But I am expecting them to screw something up or leave me with some squeaks or rattles once they are done with the air bag replacement. I asked them a couple months ago to replace my cabin filter when I was making an appointment for a Saturday coolant change and the dude in service said my car doesn't have one because some do and some don't have them. Well went in the glove box the other day to change out my new registration and noticed a small decal that had a date for when the cabin filter was changed by the previous owner. Are these tech's at the dealer just lazy or stupid im wondering?

i use the subarusuperstore.com for parts since its local and i get shop wholesale pricing, but ive heard really good things about their techs. i dont take anything to the dealer unless it is mandatory. doesnt make sense in my situation, since my best friend owns an auto shop and i get to play with his stuff for free

Archived