LegacyGT.com

DAMD Wheels - any regrets

Claw

I'm thinking about ordering a DAMD D-shaped wheel for my 05.

Has anyone bought one and ended up regretting?

Reason for going with the D-shape - I'm a big guy, 6'4". Even with the wheel angled, there's not a lot of clearance so it's just to easy getting in and out of the car.

Plus, I've wanted one ever since Sprank did his first GB and I missed out.

Thanks.

I have had the D-shaped DAMD wheel on my wagon for about 2 years now.

I had to get one after sitting in Johndas' wagon which had one installed.

Great feel, great build quality, Johndas was right, when you install it, you actually feel like you're driving a whole new car for a while.

I got used to the squared off bottom very quickly and don't really notice it when maneuvering around in a parking lot. Plus it looks more aggressive than the completely round version.

Go for it, Claw. The good news is that you can sell it off later for a high percentage of what you paid for it. there will always be a market for them on this forum.

• 2 weeks later...
I just installed a D-shape today; bought it used from johndas. It's worth every penny! As Gire mentioned above, it does feel like a different car. It also feels like the smaller diameter has created the effect of a quicker steering rack.

Just ordered the D-shaped one too! The local car club organized a GB for it. I'm excited to get it!

For the o5 model, do we need anything extra to make it fit?

Thanks for all the input! :D

Thanks N.sane. I'll be doing it this weekend.

BTW, if anyone is interest in one, you *may* be able to set up a GB from AVO Japan.

Our local club got one going.. so I got it for $550 CDN shipped. As always, YMMV.

• 4 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One scary review here:

Poor leather adhesion, no help from seller

August 24, 2017

Reviewer: K.R.L from Ohio

I purchased this model Damd D-shaped steering wheel for my 2007 sti in March of 2016. Since my purchase its been 1.5yrs and 5,000~ miles of use. The leather adhesive has started to fail near the area where the airbag meets and the leather it self is no longer attached. The edge of the leather that is usually covered by the plastic trim and airbag is now exposed and continually pulling away. I've emailed kamispeed and they have said there is nothing they can do for me. For the price I payed ($532.00) I feel that this it is a slap in the face for this to happen at 5k use, along with no resolution. Spend a few more dollars and go GT-Spec. I would not recommend or purchase a Damd product.

https://www.kamispeed.com/DAMD-D-Shaped-Red-Stitch-Steering-Wheel-WRX-STI-p/dmd.ss358-df-rd.htm

Archived