LegacyGT.com

Subaru Intelligent Drive

Do you understand the concept behind Requested Torque and how that relates to throttle mapping and boost control?
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

The biggest difference is throttle response.

I always drive in S#, I like the power when I want it. If I want better mpg I'll set the cruise control lower.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Max C has it spot on. Yes, defiantly notice the difference but its more around throttle response.

Errr... it's kinda like the sexual drive of a woman, 'I' drives like a 50 year old woman with menopause, 'S' is like a 40 year old hooker who will go off if you push her hard enough and 'S#' is like a drunk 21 year old who hasn't had any for a month

Errr... it's kinda like the sexual drive of a woman, 'I' drives like a 50 year old woman with menopause, 'S' is like a 40 year old hooker who will go off if you push her hard enough and 'S#' is like a drunk 21 year old who hasn't had any for a month

Becareful there, some of us have a GF who's in her early 50's...no complaint's on my end...wait till you get here, life is pretty good. House is paid for, cars are paid for, everything is paid for, kids are grown and on there own doing well, no worries about "getting her in trouble" 3 or 4 times a week... no pets, we come and go as we please.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Becareful there, some of us have a GF who's in her early 50's...no complaint's on my end...wait till you get here, life is pretty good. House is paid for, cars are paid for, everything is paid for, kids are grown and on there own doing well, no worries about "getting her in trouble" 3 or 4 times a week... no pets, we come and go as we please.

I'm 40 soon, so yeah not far off :) I almost did reverse the order of my analogy lol

It also seams to be connected to stability control, my gt does not have a stability control switch(i.e to switch it off), when in I or S mode stability control is quite pronounced, but in S# mode it is almost non existent.

I love intelligent mode for stop and go traffic (most of my afternoon commute), but am otherwise in Sport.

It also seams to be connected to stability control, my gt does not have a stability control switch(i.e to switch it off)

I am confused. Are you in the US? I have an 08 Spec and there is a traction control disable button - I use it daily! Are you implying a difference between traction and stability control on these cars?

Yep, does make a difference.

Most of the time I drive in intelligent mode for fuel saving, but when I get to the windy roads, put her in S# and totally makes a difference. Do notice the difference in fuel consumption when using either mode.

To feel the difference, drive up a gradual hill with your foot on the accelerator at constant speed in 'S', then leave your foot where it is and switch to 'S#' - the car will start to accelerate much faster than before. The accelerator pedal is most certainly more "touchy" in S#.

I agree, 'I' mode is pretty much a waste of time except perhaps in heavy traffic. In fact, its almost dangerous. I usually drive in S/S# and rarely drive in I. I was driving down south a couple months ago and had in the usual S/S# for most of my driving, then heading to a long stretch of road I put it in 'I' and was cruising along for a few minutes, eventually came up behind a slow car. I saw a truck in the other lane coming towards me but was a reasonable distance away so decided to pass, pulled out and put my foot flat. Of course, I was expecting boost to come on and get passed the car quickly - but it freaked me out that the power was so flat, and the truck got closer than I had anticipated. I had completely forgot I was in 'I' mode. I actually thought that there was something wrong with the turbo for an instant, as there was next to no boost. 'I' for passing is an absolute joke!

I use I mode all the time when on the highway. I put it in cruise control and put it in I mode. I definitely get a little better MPG.

It's nice having the steering wheel mounted S# button for when I go to pass I can just hit the button with my hands on the steering wheel still.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Moddiction Stainless steel and Titanium shift knobs.

Drivetrain, suspension, brakes, exhaust, cooling, fuel, gauges+MUCH more!

in my spec.b, it showed a visual in the cluster that describes it perfectly. if we are talking stock: it's pretty much all throttle mapping (no boost control from the research i've done).

intelligent mode (eco), caps the total amnt of throttle applied and over a smoother curve. sport & sport# are virtually the same power and throttle cap! the difference, is the mapping of the curve for the throttle... which is to say 'sport' mode is max power over a smooth curve, where as sport# makes it a steep curve (or similar to making the throttle more like an on/off button - no throttle > full throttle).

Archived