LegacyGT.com

Best suspension setup money can buy!

08LGT80

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about modifying my car and I want to start w/ the suspension! What is the best set up? STI pinks, Tein dampers, coilovers, etc? I want it to be adjustable so I can stiffen it up while I'm tracking my car and then soften it for the drive home. I guess what I'm looking for it time attack or race applications. And money is not an issue! Thanks for any information that you guys can help with!

Best suspension setup for what? That's pretty vague. Is you car mostly going to be for the street, or mostly for the track? The best for track is not going to be great for the street, and vice versa.

If you want the best for the track, you'll probably want to go with dampers specifically for track use, like Penske, JRZ, Moton, etc. They will probably be custom, which means lots of testing, plus lots of money. Any of those shocks will run from a few thousand to over ten thousand dollars. Plus if you set it up for track use, you'll probably not want to drive it everyday on the street. I've driven and ridden in a Porsche 996 track car with a JRZ setup for a short street run. Let's just say it was very firm; luckily the road was relatively smooth.

As far as more streetable set-ups, Ohlins has a good reputation.

I like the RCE tarmacs (KW) - they are pretty comfortable on the street, and they've handled well at an autocross. I had KW V3's on my previous car and they were pretty good for time trials/HPDE.

Bilstein PSS-series coilovers generally have really good reviews - some people here think they are the best streetable setup (though they may be hard to find and the PSS is non-adjustable). The adjustable PSS9 version is very popular with the Porsche crowd.

If money is no object, I would go with the few options above. Adjustability is a little over-rated. If you don't understand damper settings, you're probably creating more trouble for yourself on the track. A well-designed damper should work well in any condition - that's usually why well-designed coilovers cost more: the engineers put more time into developing the dampers.

I want my LGT to ride like my brother's EVO 9. that thing can turn on a dime but ride quality is a bit harsh. however, the EVO 9 doesn't have much sound dampening as the LGT. I think if I get something for autocross/high performance street setup will be fine.

If your not going to race your car, then why do you need to have the best suspention on your car?

cuz i have shit load of money i wanna burn from my IT job... hehehe! :icon_tong strictly jdm and best shit goes into everything i do!

Personally for a streetable car, I like the Koni Sports combined with the STi Pink springs. Using the Group N top hats in the front.

However you probably shouldn't base your suspension only on struts/springs/coillovers. There is a lot more to a properly sorted out car that is good on the street as well as track.

On my 05 LGT Wagon, that I daily drive and track pretty often (Road Race and HPDE Instructor) I put about $8k into it and didn't even get into power modifications and didn't use coilovers.

Here is a list of stuff to do that I did....

Konis Struts

STi Pink Springs

Group N Tops (front)

Group N Motor Mounts, Trans Mount

Whiteline Adjustable Front and Rear Sway Bars

Kartboy Endlinks front and rear

AVO Front-Rear Lower Control Arm Bushings w/Caster adjustment

Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings

AVO Rear Sway Bar Reinforcement Brackets

AVO Front Bracing

Whiteline Front Strut Tower Bar

AVO Rear Bracing

STi Brembo Calipers (Front)

Technafit SS brake Lines

Centric Rotors (STi Front, LGT Rear)

Cobb AP Stage 1

SPT Catback Exhaust

Whiteline Rear Diffy Locking Bolts

Kartboy Rear Subframe Donuts Bushings

SPT Short Shifter w/Linkage w/Kartboy Bushings

04 STi BBS Wheels

This has transformed the handling immensely without hurting my daily driving. I can even still pack my Mother-in-Law into the car for a trip.

-mike

Becuause this guy has to much money to throw away at something he will never fully use on a dd car. This is how people go bankruped, "Hey I have a buch of money to throw away on stuped sh*^ and I'm not going to race the car."

Why don't you just get sways, links, and a good set of tires and see what that does? That alone might be more than enough to satisfy you for quite a while.;)

thanks! will do.

Archived