LegacyGT.com

Takata airbag recall now includes 2005-2008 Legacy and Outback

WraithAkaMrak

Only if I don't end up using a prybar and sledgehammer, because after trying it the first time and failing, second time I'm definitely going to be more pissed.

The only items I took out were the glovebox (basically just the door that opens), and the covers for the air filter. Maybe others have had success with that, but I did not. The whole passenger side bottom plastic part under the dashboard needs to come out, otherwise I don't see how the job can be accomplished, and I have yet to see a DIY guide for that part.

Luckily, I have the Legacy service manual. And I am comfortable pulling the stereo out since I've done it 3 times while doing a proper AUX-IN mod.

Edited by fishbone

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only if I don't end up using a prybar and sledgehammer, because after trying it the first time and failing, second time I'm definitely going to be more pissed.

The only items I took out were the glovebox (basically just the door that opens), and the covers for the air filter. Maybe others have had success with that, but I did not. The whole passenger side bottom plastic part under the dashboard needs to come out, otherwise I don't see how the job can be accomplished, and I have yet to see a DIY guide for that part.

Luckily, I have the Legacy service manual. And I am comfortable pulling the stereo out since I've done it 3 times while doing a proper AUX-IN mod.

Follow this and then you will have access to the actuators on the passenger side.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/installation-cabin-air-filter-56k-warning-1626.html?t=1626&highlight=cabin+air

i popped in to my local subie dealer in WA australia to get some touch up paint for a stone ship ... the service advisor went and got my chassis number (and dam she was hot and knew what she was doing )... and she advised me that my car is due for a air bag recall... and that they will need the car for the day ...... and i thought while they have the dash apart it would be a good time to replace the heater core ... an extra 230 bux for a genuine part plus the fitting .....

thankyou for the link Scooby2.5

i followed the instructions... now i just need a pic with a giant red circle

showing me what to pull out, now that i have this whole thing apart. The pannel to the right of my shifter is off and the glove box is hanging down

If you are working on the clicking actuators just turn your key on, and work your heater controls. Mode switch, etc and see which one is making the clicking sound.

You will see them try to work after the heater is shut off if they are bad.

Or you will see them continue to try to work/adjust after selecting a different mode etc.

Yes. I think the actuator that fails is the mode door actuator, which is at the top and a pain to get to. I found my mini ratchet set to be very helpful in getting the screws on the bracket.

http://www.eastwood.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/p/7/p70289.jpg

I took the bottom bracket screw out, then took the screws that screw the actuator to that bracket out. Then bent it up a bit and took actuator out.

Put new actuator in and pushed bracket back down. Put the screws through the bracket into the actuator and then screwed the bracket screw in.

I did not take the very top screw out of the bracket into the car. Too hard to get to and then have to put back in.

quite a bit of valuable information

in this thread

i need to get a mini ratchet set

in the meantime my HU is out as are most of the panels

since i have a custom double din made by HCA and not regular HU its a bit of pain to

plug it all back up, and sort out the actuator just to remove it in another 2 weeks and reinstall it again when my replacement dash finally comes in from subaru(been waiting 3 months)

im going to try the toggle key method

and see if i can find it that way

as soon as we get some better weather

otherwise ill have to wait a couple weeks untill my dash is replaced

before attempting this

Without my headunit ive been hearing it clicking away while im driving.

and its a million times more audible then when its packed away behind the dash

and without radio, its driving me crazy

thanks for all the help guys

Oh, almost forgot.

Getting to the screws on the bracket is a pain, and so is getting the screws back in the hole with the bracket in place.

Place a couple layers of scotch tape over the back side of the bracket to retain the screw as you hold the thing in place.

managed to get this done

the mini ratchet set was perfect for removing the actuator

it was a pain in the ass

espically to reach the last screw in the bracket

its also a good idea to mark the actuator arm position

in relation to how its positioned in the black box

i didnt, and ended up having to open the box up 5 times to finally get it all to line up

correctly once back in...

ill say this... it takes quite a bit of finesse to get everything back into place

all at the same time

the actuator arm has 2 other arms that must go back on their respective tracks,

while lining up the black box with the bracket and the car

all in all it took me about 3 hours,

which included the trip to the store to buy the mini ratchet set

thanks for all the help

-awd

Takata mulls bankruptcy for U.S. unit, filing will take time

Japan's Takata Corp is considering a bankruptcy filing for its U.S. unit as the air bag maker looks for a sponsor to help pay for liabilities related to its faulty inflators, a person briefed on the matter told Reuters.

Takata has been working to choose a financial backer for its turnaround as it faces huge costs related to the global recall of millions of potentially faulty inflators. A company-appointed steering committee has retained investment bank Lazard Ltd as an adviser for the process.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-takata-idUSKBN12Y2XK

453747.png

managed to get this done

the mini ratchet set was perfect for removing the actuator

it was a pain in the ass

espically to reach the last screw in the bracket

its also a good idea to mark the actuator arm position

in relation to how its positioned in the black box

i didnt, and ended up having to open the box up 5 times to finally get it all to line up

correctly once back in...

ill say this... it takes quite a bit of finesse to get everything back into place

all at the same time

the actuator arm has 2 other arms that must go back on their respective tracks,

while lining up the black box with the bracket and the car

all in all it took me about 3 hours,

which included the trip to the store to buy the mini ratchet set

thanks for all the help

-awd

Yea if you take the motors apart to clean them def mark the gears and position of the arm, thats what I did.

I didn't take the metal brackets out of the car just bottom screws and screws into actuator and left the top metal bracket screw alone. That way I didn't have to fight it getting it back in.

Took my car in yesterday; dealership scratched the dash and yoinked out the wire for the antenna, severing it.

They're ordering me a new dash, but they claimed the antenna was broken already - it was not, but it was partially frayed from a flawed Jazzy install back in 2005.

• 4 weeks later...
I just received a notice saying that sufficient parts are in so I should schedule the replacement. I believe the notice stated that the work takes about an hour and a half. I assume that means they won't be disassembling the whole dash.

Taking my 06 lgt sedan in today, was told two hours and the guy thought they needed to remove the dash...time to take a bunch of pictures and videos of everything working and hope they don't break anything.

+1 do this. Be sure to take pics of the edges where panels meet. When they completed the work I noticed a nick on the edge of the dashboard. I couldn't remember if it existed before they started work on it. Not a big deal either way, it was really small. But if I knew for a fact that they caused it, they'd be fixing/replacing it ;)

I just received a notice saying that sufficient parts are in so I should schedule the replacement. I believe the notice stated that the work takes about an hour and a half. I assume that means they won't be disassembling the whole dash.

Pretty sure they have to disassemble the whole thing. It took them 4 days to do mine. :spin: