LegacyGT.com

I took my Legacy GT to the drag strip tonight...

I took my Legacy GT to the 1/4 mile drag strip. The good news is that I ran a new best of 13.55@101.6mph on my 1st run. The bad news is that I broke something on that run. Just before I reached the finish line, I heard a little pop and then the engine stalled. It start right up but idled at 400rpm, I tried driving back the pit but I couldn't get to point where I could engage the clutch without stalling engine. It had absolute no power. It seemed like I was trying to start the car in 5th or 6th gear even though I was in 1st gear. My friend said my car sounded a little odd in 3rd and 4th gear on my 1/4 mile pass. I also thought during the run that it didn't feel as fast as it has been in 3rd and 4th gear. At least, I have another car to drive.

I will do some diagnosis, but I am guessing the motor will need to come out. My 1st instinct is that I lifted a head and blew a head gasket.

Could it be something simple like the intercooler coupler coming off?

It definitely could be something in the intake track. I quickly pulled off the engine and inspected my Perrin intercooler to throttle body connector and that seem fine. I didn't hear any massive vacuum leak with the engine running, I will check that when I have a chance as that is likely the simplest solution.

I’ve had my recirc valve blow free under boost and had similar symptoms it’s normally held by a spring clamp I replaced it with a t-clamp.

I went to inspect the BPV and found my issue. I blew the factory turbo to intercooler pipe, which I actually replaced that part last year, because it cracked while remove the factory recirculation valve.

IMG_3007.jpg.226ca2d4fe03664567d7813a6c3a9b4c.jpg

IMG_3008.jpg.be53d4783e6966cd35901591b65c2f05.jpg

Awesome drag update and glad it's an easy fix!

I was fine at that level but as soon as it became 24 - 27 the heads lifted. :cool:

I worry about that...this fall I am going to make some time to get my timing belt, studs, and gasket set installed. I may have XRT retune me or a local, and get the tune dialed back and dialed in better.

I guess I might need to find a source for an intake charge pipe as well, lol.

I am definitely thankful it wasn't something more serious. Obviously I don't want to blow my motor but it isn't the end of the world to me. The bigger issue is that I have bunch of mechanic work piling up.

I worry about that...this fall I am going to make some time to get my timing belt, studs, and gasket set installed. I may have XRT retune me or a local, and get the tune dialed back and dialed in better.

I guess I might need to find a source for an intake charge pipe as well, lol.

I gotta figure out if I should ask my tuner to lower my boost and run the factory charge pipe or get an aftermarket charge pipe (which I am trying to wrap my head around what works).