LegacyGT.com

Front-end clunk/clatter

Hi everyone

My 08 Legacy 2.5i SE has decided to start making clunking noises from the front end.

The noise largely occurs when driving over small to medium size bumps at low speed, and sometimes it happens with no bump at all! When I roll my windows down it sounds like it's coming mainly from the driver's side. Its a distinctive clunk noise but also sometimes a metal "clatter" like 2 pieces of metal separating and coming back together really fast. The best I can liken it to is the sound of driving over a loose manhole cover. Never makes the noise on the highway, also the clunk (but not clatter) goes away for a couple days after I've jacked up the front end to look.

So far troubleshooting steps I've tried:

-Checked for play/loose nuts on strut/spring; all look ok

-Checked endlinks for play; didn't discover any issues until I tried to wiggle them with the car lowered. Replaced w/ Moog and while the noises continue there is no more play in the sway bar

-Replaced driver's side lower control arm and balljoint; bushings were worn with definite tearing although not looking too bad for 226k. Took it for a test drive and while I can't hear clunking (yet) the metal clatter continues.

Any advice anyone can offer would be welcome.

Take the car to have a its front end aligned at a good repair shop. They will tell you whats wrong.

If it's the mounts, the alignment will not show anything. If you're trying to rectify an issue it's best to explain to the shop while you're there. Dont go in for an alignment expecting them to tell you where the noise is coming from. If it's the struts, you're going to need an alignment anyways.

I have an '09 Legacy with 128k on it with similar issues. I have had it up on my lift and thoroughly inspected it and I cannot find it. It's about to drive me crazy. I have just replaced both front wheel bearings and one lower ball joint. Everything else is tight as a drum. The noise isn't really a clunk - its more like a creaking sound. What it sounds like to me is like a metal structural member that is cracked and is popping whenever it experiences a torsional load. I have checked every single fastener on the subframe, all the bushings - everything. Can't find it.

Thanks for all these suggestions everyone! As I said earlier I replaced the drivers side control arm but the noises continue :spin: I'll still replace the passengers side because I've noticed the new bushings have improved the handling a little bit (maybe I'm just imagining things but steering feels a lot tighter)

I will be taking it for a front end alignment after I've done the passenger side control arm and ball joint. I've checked my struts there's no signs of leaking or any visible damage but with 220k on them it might just be time for new ones. There's no play in anything and all the bolts are tight, though so this is frustrating me to no end!

Sway bar end links. When you have the car up and the wheels are drooped, they will feel tight. It only takes a very little play to make them make noise. The other thing is the front sway bar bushings. These go bad on my Chrysler vans, and you would think the front end is going to fall off. Check them too.

Thanks for all these suggestions everyone! As I said earlier I replaced the drivers side control arm but the noises continue :spin: I'll still replace the passengers side because I've noticed the new bushings have improved the handling a little bit (maybe I'm just imagining things but steering feels a lot tighter)

I will be taking it for a front end alignment after I've done the passenger side control arm and ball joint. I've checked my struts there's no signs of leaking or any visible damage but with 220k on them it might just be time for new ones. There's no play in anything and all the bolts are tight, though so this is frustrating me to no end!

Can you post a video of the noise? Struts do not have to leak for them to make noise and rarely will there be any movement in the shaft unless the mount was separated.

Sway bar end links. When you have the car up and the wheels are drooped, they will feel tight. It only takes a very little play to make them make noise. The other thing is the front sway bar bushings. These go bad on my Chrysler vans, and you would think the front end is going to fall off. Check them too.

Hmmm, I’ll have to check mine. I only checked them with weight off the wheels.

I'll try to get a video of the noise some time this week and share it.

I've replaced the endlinks there's no more play and I tightened the bolts to spec. I did not change the bushings yet, that's next, hopefully tomorrow morning if not then Friday, when I change the other control arm as well.

I've noticed the clunking sound isn't exclusively triggered by bumps. It can (but not always does) happen if the transmission (4EAT) experiences a rough shift.

I've noticed the clunking sound isn't exclusively triggered by bumps. It can (but not always does) happen if the transmission (4EAT) experiences a rough shift.

If that's true then I would look at the brace on the top of the transmission to the firewall (in other places people call it a dog bone, I think it is referred to it differently here). And take a look at the motor and transmission mounts.

How would I best be able to identify a bad motor/transmission mount? Aside from the obvious cracking or total separation of a mount, is there any way to check them for excessive play? I'd be more inclined to suspect a transmission mount than an engine mount as I can't feel any significant engine vibrations from the cabin and as I understand it, the well-balanced boxer engine tends to not stress the mounts very much at all.

I was really was hoping I would not have to start digging in deep to find this noise :mad: hopefully I will get a chance to get some video of the noise tonight.

If it's the mounts, the alignment will not show anything. If you're trying to rectify an issue it's best to explain to the shop while you're there. Dont go in for an alignment expecting them to tell you where the noise is coming from. If it's the struts, you're going to need an alignment anyways.

Yeah, I would hope that when he took car in to a shop he would tell them what he's done.

My wagon has developed a clunk. I just put the summer tires on it. First I drove it up on the ramps to check the end links, then put it on the floor jacks and checked the ball joints for play. They were tight.

I was able to tighten the right front strut nuts under the hood. Got may be a 1/4 turn on the three 12mm nuts. Some of you may recall I had to replace the right front strut last summer after hitting a big rock in the road.

Took the car for a short test drive, seems a little better. I'll take it to VT after work tomorrow, was thinking about leaving it home and taking the Spec north for the weekend.

If it's still noisy, I'll take it to my trusted mechanic next week to have him check out the front end.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yeah, I would hope that when he took car in to a shop he would tell them what he's done.

My wagon has developed a clunk. I just put the summer tires on it. First I drove it up on the ramps to check the end links, then put it on the floor jacks and checked the ball joints for play. They were tight.

I was able to tighten the right front strut nuts under the hood. Got may be a 1/4 turn on the three 12mm nuts. Some of you may recall I had to replace the right front strut last summer after hitting a big rock in the road.

Took the car for a short test drive, seems a little better. I'll take it to VT after work tomorrow, was thinking about leaving it home and taking the Spec north for the weekend.

If it's still noisy, I'll take it to my trusted mechanic next week to have him check out the front end.

I was going to suggest end links based on what your symptoms were, but since you replaced them, that rules that out.

Are you getting any vibrations with these bumps as well(generally felt through your feet resting on the floorboard)? If so, it could be your actual sway bar bushings.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
I was going to suggest end links based on what your symptoms were, but since you replaced them, that rules that out.

Are you getting any vibrations with these bumps as well(generally felt through your feet resting on the floorboard)? If so, it could be your actual sway bar bushings.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I finally replaced the front end links last weekend and it helped a lot. I think that's the third time I've replaced them. i can check my record book. The sway bar bushings will be next. May have replaced them once too. Both old end links were weak, but not shot.

This car also hit a big rock in the right front last summer, had to replace the right strut and wheel. It took the Tech a while to get the alignment right.

The LCA's were replaced a few years back also. The car does have lot's of miles so it's not unusual I guess. I have all summer to fix.

The car does get driven about 70 miles round trip to work.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 4 months later...
I finally replaced the front end links last weekend and it helped a lot. I think that's the third time I've replaced them. i can check my record book. The sway bar bushings will be next. May have replaced them once too. Both old end links were weak, but not shot.

This car also hit a big rock in the right front last summer, had to replace the right strut and wheel. It took the Tech a while to get the alignment right.

The LCA's were replaced a few years back also. The car does have lot's of miles so it's not unusual I guess. I have all summer to fix.

The car does get driven about 70 miles round trip to work.

Any update on the noise following the tightening if the strut mount bolts and away bar bushings?

I've got a clunking as well after hitting a huge pot hole in the rain, where my mechanic tried to remedy with new end links. Helped a bit but definitely wasn't the root cause so we're thinking the struts bad after the pothole. I'm about to replace both front struts with new strut mounts. In my case, ball joints, LCA, and all bolts and bushings were good and tight.

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine fixed yesterday and turns out my strut and strut mount were shot. Pot hole I hit a while back really did some damage

New Bilstein b6's feel so nice. Rockauto has them for around 200 if anyone is looking

Here's a fun one that hasn't been mentioned - just tracked down a similar clunk when going over small bumps at low speed. Turned out to be the passenger side brake caliper, as the rubber isolator on one of the slide pins had completely disintegrated. Pull the wheel off and wiggle the caliper with your hand. If it rattles, might be your clunk.