LegacyGT.com

Finally Happened!!!

I don’t frequent here much anymore but I’m sure most of you know me ;). 2010 LGT just turned 70k and just popped the head yesterday as block test tested positive :(. Was eventually going to happen after 23psi the past 4 years with an 18g Hybrid lol! Getting all oem gaskets and bits as well as timing belt, tensioner etc... arp head studs going in and debating sti cams. If anyone has a hit on some used ones, hit me up ASAP. Still debating it as I don’t really want to retune but would be the most opportune time to do so! Also got to get the car back on the rd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Tease, long time!!! You to FL.. just ordered those cams off eBay, couldn’t find any local or on NASIOC etc... still decent price and shipping out tomorrow. I get wholesale pricing on all other parts including exhaust valve springs from my local Subaru dealer. How’s this thing gonna run on my current tune? Should I grab a base map before tune?

Hey Tease, long time!!! You to FL.. just ordered those cams off eBay, couldn’t find any local or on NASIOC etc... still decent price and shipping out tomorrow. I get wholesale pricing on all other parts including exhaust valve springs from my local Subaru dealer. How’s this thing gonna run on my current tune? Should I grab a base map before tune?

I would just to be safe, best guess is the turbo is going to spool faster and hold on longer. The new springs will help a lot in the high rpms.

There was a set by Brian Crower for $80 on amazon, I was planning to use those.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Are you doing a valve job too? if you're not reuse your intake cam you'll be less likely to have to adjust valve lash. save some time on reassembly. I only changed the exhaust springs on mine when I did the sti cam swap on mine, ive spun it many times to 6800rpm and I haven't heard or felt anything that would indicate valve float

I put this set in mine. I just replaced them all because I was in there, they had 130,000 miles on them and why not for the insurance all around. That was my motto during the build... might as well while I'm in there.:)

Ok, the jury has spoken, grabbed the Brian cowers! Build starts tomorrow then sending heads to the machine shop Monday. I don’t think I’ll have to do anything with the valves. I’ll let the machine shop go through it and let me know

That was my motto during the build... might as well while I'm in there.:)

Same here -- my builder recommended a valve job (I was at ~117k) while I had the heads off, which was a minor expense compared to the rest of the build. New valve buckets got a little expensive and were not in my original budget, though (I swapped a few with my builder but had to buy five or six new ones) :icon_neut

How’s this thing gonna run on my current tune? Should I grab a base map before tune?

I would run it on your current tune if you just changing the exhaust cams. Just avoid any significant boost.

Technically i only need the 8 exhaust valve springs as I’m only installing the exhaust cams right? Well I guess I could install the intake cams too...

Supposedly the intake cams have very similar specs as the STI cams.

Are you going to replace all the valves or they going to cut them? I put gsc valves in mine. The intake valve looked quite different compared to stock. Undercut for better flow. Obviously I don’t have a flow bench and have now idea if it did anything for me but compared to the cost of new oe I thought it was a good route 488a4d062a64bc91cebfab5470e1f103.jpg

Supposedly the intake cams have very similar specs as the STI cams.

I was under the impression they were the same, although I'm seeing different part numbers on the Subaru parts website (13031AA740 vs. 13031AA730 LGT vs. STI). I know fahr_side weighed in on it at one point, although I'd have to dig to find where.

I was under the impression they were the same, although I'm seeing different part numbers on the Subaru parts website (13031AA740 vs. 13031AA730 LGT vs. STI). I know fahr_side weighed in on it at one point, although I'd have to dig to find where.

The FSM lists the LGT camshaft lifts as 9.6mm intake and 8.9mm exhaust. (+/- 0.05). The intake lift seems to be same as what I found on NASOIC, but I really can't find exact numbers for the duration ranges to compare with the 5th gen's service manual. I looked for a WRX/STI service manual with the DAVCS, but the only ones was I could wanted me to download software that I didn't feel comfortable with.

Here are the specs from the 2012 Legacy Service Manual.

781698897_ScreenShot2019-10-12at9_57_54AM.thumb.png.597da98dc8470ce129c2484bea709d10.png

2130187436_ScreenShot2019-10-12at9_58_53AM.thumb.png.560467575a79e00b71429220cc8d6fe1.png

Edited by dgoodhue

Here's what I found for the STI (2011, in this case). Definitely more lift on the exhaust, and the lobe phasing looks to be different judging by the AVCS min/max values. Not sure if the STI's intake AVCS only has a 30 degree range (compared to the Legacy's 40), or if there's some huge difference in the shape of the lobes- the WRX specs show a 40 degree range on the intake timing, and the max and min values are all the same as on the Legacy. All 3 platforms have the same part numbers for the intake cam pulleys, though, so unless the STI doesn't use the full sweep of that AVCS mechanism, there's a chance the STI intake cam actually has 10 degrees more duration.

STI1.PNG.1138d556b9f22e171062f5cd1db97c85.PNG

STI2.PNG.f6e53d2a3b490dbb9bc589f893726b20.PNG

The duration for all three intake cams are listed as 240 degrees. Adding the minimum together (ie -5+180+65 =240) and maximum together (ie 25+180+35-240) both add up to 240. The difference between the minimum and maximum might just be the factory tune.

Anyone know the part # for the cam adjuster tool pretty sure it’s a 10mm. Also one of my heads is so warped, you can “seesaw” it on a flat surface :0... any head upgrades out there lol

Edited by wrxwhit

Well good news, heads are in good shape, one they had to take 12 thousandths off and that’s it. Two valves were leaking terribly which I’m sure was robbing me of power. Getting both heads back tomorrow with new Brian cower valve springs and sti cams installed. Retested heads and held no problem at 200psi after an awesome machine job cutting and reseating valves etc... Hopefully getting dyno tuned at BrenTuning this upcoming wed as long as everything goes back together by then!

Of course there’s always plans for corn but it’s vary scarce where I’m from. Closest station is 35 min away so doesn’t make sense. Also more power with this platform doesn’t make sense with a daily driver :(. These heads are beautiful looking. Local machine shop is OCD with his work. Looks better than new now! Valves all cleaned up as well as adjusted with new Sti cams installed

4944ec91aaea331f4568c8ead681eb6b.jpgdc539d1442ba4444348386da32ab6bc0.jpgcc8bb496b5626d4ea5b143364658d35d.jpg9d80bdf18d9eaaf6e4e47df49a2b5b57.jpg

Edited by Zee199969