LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

I do agree those are some great cars to answer a request but like the article says too much money. The Supra is a total dud. And with dealers asking for $25,000 markups it’s not even a good deal. I do have a Pontiac G8 and it’s a very nice car.

A total dud by what standards? The original supra only became popular after its demise and it hit the secodary market. If it had sold as well as peoples rosie colored memories imagined it never would have been dropped in the USA.

the supra has been on sale for a matter of months, it's way too early to call it a dud. i do think they kinda shot themselves in the foot not offering a manual, but if you believe the rumor mill, one's coming. and since that engine already has manual transmission offerings in BMWs, i'm inclined to believe them.

Yea a turbo mk4 supra was only a little cheaper than a Corvette in 1998. most muricans chose vettes during that time

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

The MKIV Supra wasn't cheaper than a Corvette. I happened to own a MKII Supra and Corvette at that time period and was on emailing lists for both.

The Supra was 46k in 1993 and went up ~3k per year until it peaked at 52k in 1996. Toyota dropped the MSRP $12k to 40K in 1997 and it went up a little bit more in 1998. [At the time, existing MKIV Supra owner were super pissed because it killed the resale value of their cars.]

The Corvette was $38k in 1998 though dealer were still marking in them up at that point. The 93-96 Corvette were significantly cheaper MSRP and dealer were discounting them.

Edited by dgoodhue

c0fb1649853d3a423f1775780d4ca4e3.jpg

I agree with this statement. It isn't about one particular car.

I see it online, I hear with a few of my friends and at car shows and even myself I have delayed and missed buying some cars I wish I had owned. Sometime you don't always have means, but their are few times when you could have.

When Toyota dropped the 1997 Supra list price back to 40k while I was in college, I thought that was a really good deal. I was graduating in June 1997, so I could have potentially bought one in 1998, but upon graduation I didn't act on it, I test drove a MKIV in mid 1998 after they were discontinued and decide to get rid of my Corvette/Supra in 1999 but my plans got delayed (getting married and buying a house). The F&F movie came out and all of sudden nice used MKIV 6MT TT were just expensive as they were new and I wasn't willing to spend that much for used car.

I wished that I ordered #228 of 2012 Legacy GT, but I was about a month too late after production halted. I joined this forum in 2010 to research and ultimately decide to buy Legacy GT. It was put on hold because I was given a car. Once I had given up on that money pit of a car, the 2012 were no longer available. The local dealership had a new 2012GT but it was loaded to the gill with accessories, the list price was $36k. I figure I could justify $32k with my budget (and new born). Ultimately I ended with a 2012 Legacy GT, it would have been nice to have bought mine new and in the color I wanted.

Yeah supras aren’t even that great of cars until you put $20,000 into them with aftermarket parts. I’ve owned two of them. I actually preferred my 300ZX TT more. And the new Supra the manufacture actually left things unfinished and parts not installed to specifically cater to the aftermarket crowd. Come on at least finish the vehicle if you are going to charge tens of thousands in dealer mark ups and hype. And yes the manufacture can influence dealer marks ups.

Yeah supras aren’t even that great of cars until you put $20,000 into them with aftermarket parts. I’ve owned two of them. I actually preferred my 300ZX TT more. And the new Supra the manufacture actually left things unfinished and parts not installed to specifically cater to the aftermarket crowd. Come on at least finish the vehicle if you are going to charge tens of thousands in dealer mark ups and hype. And yes the manufacture can influence dealer marks ups.

This is why I love finding hidden gems of cars. When I took my mother's '13 Legacy, I found her a 2018 Infiniti QX30 with only 10K miles on it for only $24K! One owner and has the Mercedes 2.0t with the Mercedes tranny and such! Also came with the highest package (Premium Package). Interior and exterior have the Infiniti look and I love the car! Sometimes you just gotta look hard for a special vehicle! :p

Come on at least finish the vehicle if you are going to charge tens of thousands in dealer mark ups and hype. And yes the manufacture can influence dealer marks ups.

Toyota are known for this. Pist me off every time I look for a brand new Toyota. Back in the day I was ready to purchase a brand new T100 long bead, manual transmission 2wd. They advertise it for $10,000 just for the base. A/C was about $2,700 then you have to add power windows, power lock, power steering and brakes, etc. the list goes on.

You have to purchase this package before you can get this options. I have looked at Taundra, Tacoma, 4runners, etc.

Don't get me wrong I love Toyota I had 91 MR2 Turbo in the past and my family own allot of Supra, Corolla, Celica and Cressida in the past. My sister just bought a brand new Camry. My cousin's had a bunch of Supra and 300ZX and now he has a 350Z but he prefer the Nissan Z over the Supra.

I'm trying to get my friend to sell me his AE86 (running) but he won't let it go.

Edited by amusa

It doesn't make sense for us to go out and buy cars we don't want just to hope that one day the manufacturers will deliver.

The EVO and STI came and we bought them.

If they think we want to pay a fat markup at the dealer just to get a manual transmission for something that is average, they need to think again.

Let the manufacturers walk the talk. Give us the cars you display as "teasers" instead of watered down versions.

They need to be passionate about it as well.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

It doesn't make sense for us to go out and buy cars we don't want just to hope that one day the manufacturers will deliver.

The EVO and STI came and we bought them.

If they think we want to pay a fat markup at the dealer just to get a manual transmission for something that is average, they need to think again.

Let the manufacturers walk the talk. Give us the cars you display as "teasers" instead of watered down versions.

They need to be passionate about it as well.

I have to disagree, manufacturers have shown they don't need to be passionate about it at all. Toyota doesn't deliver their sales with passionately made vehicles, they deliver with reliability and vanilla flavoring. And people have come in droves. Maybe we are getting to a point where manufacturing costs for boutique cars can be within reach of the average buyer, or maybe not. I think electric platforms will be the real fuel for change in manufacturing performance cars, since there there is essentially no emissions standards to adhere to with EVs.

finally got my car back from getting head gaskets done after one month and one day. glad to have her home...

Out of curiousity, how many miles does your car have? I would like to think you wouldn't need new head gaskets until after like 100K miles...

just rolled over 151k. it's getting to the point where everything on it is getting tired and will need to be replaced. i'll be picking up a second car, likely in about a year, to keep the miles off and give me time and ability to work on replacing everything, just a matter of jumping through some hoops to get that done.