LegacyGT.com

Need Help ! Checking for minor frame damage.

Love this forum !!

A few months ago, I hit a curb up in the mountain probably doing about 20 mph.

I'm finally getting to fixing it.

My wheel was pushed back slightly, it drove but it was rubbing pretty bad so i had it towed home.

My plan is to gather all parts and do as much labor as I can. (part removal, shopping for parts online, junkyards, etc.)

I will need to take it to an body / alignment shop afterwards obviously, but I'm hoping all they will have to do is a few tweaks and we'll be good to go.

After removing my wheel and observing, this is what I'm going to need:

• Right and left Control arm
    (only right is damaged but want to change both.
  • Anti roll bar / sway bar :
    doesn't seem like it was hit but i haven't removed it yet.
  • Right Brake caliper (debating on getting both front & right)
  • New tires all around ( front tire blew on impact )
  • Repair front rim if cracked or bent. ( doesnt appear to be but maybe )
  • Right strut ( not sure if it was bent on impact )
  • right axel looks bent.
  • right tie rod looks obviously bent
    *]Checked subframe, looks good to me.

Here are my questions :

I'm nervous the axel may have damaged the tranny, since the axel looks bent.

Is this likely ?

Also, there are a few 05-09 Legacys & Outbacks around here in junkyards, are parts between these years pretty much the same ?

Obviously I would check mileage, wear & damage before buying.

Anything I'm missing ?

Any help is appreciated.

caliper.jpg.f232a3c38dfd4e1a46269e02dcf30ba7.jpg

tierod.jpg.d45ed22d2a2e76bd2a3a4698ee20fa23.jpg

subframe.jpg.ed89abd539cb710b0b4973713a01d890.jpg

topview.jpg.c4f719f13b18e7d22b094cf137655fcb.jpg

axel.jpg.e334c0a2431a3b26e150452ae988d13c.jpg

Edited by Meejo
added photos.

You'll most likely need a new "Top Hat" for the strut. The junk yard one may be no better then yours.

I would for you to spend money only to have the body shop tell you the frame is bent...

You may want to verify that frame is straight first.

The axle nut is bent over as part of normally installing it after torquing it.

You should replace both front calipers at the same time. Don't need to but at least they will both be good.

Outbacks may have longer pieces, I'm not sure but you could check part numbers on most Dealers website under "parts".

Here's the service manual and I think body manual http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't think about that for the strut, I'll definitely look in to it. Struts are fairly new.

Also, should i change both cv axles if im going to change the passenger ?

I was thinking to take it in to a body shop but didn't think an impact like this would cause frame damage. I've never dealt with frame damage, if it is bent, is that something the body shop could repair ?

You'll want to keep the OEM axles if it is at all possible, You may want to reboot the right one. Aftermarket ones are ok, but may take a couple to get a good one. For axles keep your OEM, its cheaper in the long run.

Most body shop will have access to a Frame Straightener if they need one.

Also the lower ball joint can be hard to get out of the knuckle/spindle, the pinch bolt rust's in. If yours is PITA just buy a new spindle. the labor to the bolt driller out or the cracked spindle welded...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Oh, Tinken front hubs work well in these cars. Read post 162 in JmP's sticky up top about various parts

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to decide whether or not I need to take my car in to a body shop to determine if the frame has been damaged or not. From what I can see, it doesn't look like it was bent.

Obviously trying to save money.

I slid into a curb and hit my front right tire on the curb.

Should I have a body shop check for frame damage ?

Do you think it will drive fine if i just replace all damaged suspension components ?

After removing my wheel and observing, this is what I'm seeing.

•  
  • Traction Control doesn't respond on / off. (light is off)
  • Bent Control Arm ( only right is damaged but want to change both. )
  • axel is bent ( change both ? )
  • tie rod is bent ( Change both? )
  • Anti roll bar / sway bar (possibly, doesn't look hit.)
  • Brake caliper (can't tell if it is damaged)
  • Right strut (not sure if it was bent on impact)
  • *]Subframe doesn't seem damaged.

I took the best photos I could, hopefully someone who really knows these cars can help me by visually looking.

Please let me know if I should take it in to a body shop or if i'm ok doing the suspension work and driving it.

Thanks for all of your guys' help love this forum.

fullview.jpg.293f14e91c0807c6ea9133efcbc0794f.jpg

strut.jpg.40bad4ad1ee6852fb1feb3614b702cdf.jpg

angle.jpg.c79b0b7f21f5dff67620254180d442fb.jpg

carm.jpg.9153e4026409ae899b29ad67d5a063bc.jpg

cvaxel.jpg.a7eaf306220e46244042b6daded0eb04.jpg

underview.jpg.5a1812f82dc8aa03bc96692512b9d1f4.jpg

topview.jpg.6aab49f5108b734081495e2a98ca6f1d.jpg

Swaybarsubframe.jpg.0728758ffd9b40fbc77bab880697d1cf.jpg

sideframe.jpg.6dcd5984e2a504e75048ab1ad3b9d38b.jpg

carmframe.jpg.0ff02e71e22ec614cc71ee14b3fb52b1.jpg

Edited by Meejo

Get the control arm mounts checked. They should be ok as the control arms are made to bend before the mounts but its always good to check. strut towers should be fine as the struts do twist and bend normally. You can also reassemble and see if there is a large amount of positive camber.

We can look and discuss but without photos to compare to a non-wrecked vehicle, it's irrelevant. Replace all of the bent parts (that you can see and know are bent) and make the car run and drive. If it sits on the ground and the wheels are all fairly straight and it won't cause damage to move it, take it to a good body shop with a frame jig and let them tell you what's bent. They are professionals at bringing frames back. Again, we can look and all discuss, but it's not helping you in any way.

Your transmission is fine. The center diff the axles attached to would be an area of future concern but unless it’s clicking really bad when driving I wouldn’t worry about it.

Just keep in mind that not all suspension components on the Legacy and Outback are the same.

Thanks for the replys. I'll let you guys know the outcome.

@JmP6889928 I beg to differ, I got a few different responses I otherwise wouldn't have gotten had I only posted once. I tried to delete the earlier threads, but was unable to find a delete option. I obviously just signed up if you look at my profile, sorry I haven't posted almost 4k posts lol . I didn't know I couldn't delete a thread, I probably would've thought it through more before publishing. Anyways, I came here for help & some direction to solve a problem. For those that gave it, thank you! If you want to complain, go find something worth while to complain about man.

Edited by Meejo

Most of us are here for the same reason: to find, offer or request help on these cars.

Let's try to keep this issue to a single thread, and feel free to edit the original post with updates and/or add additional posts as new questions or discoveries arise. you can even "bump" this thread, if you feel so inclined, to try to capture the attention of more members.

I've merged your 3 threads into one, and deleted one of your "first posts".

lastly, let's try to keep it civil. JMP offered advice as was desired, and only requested that you keep this issue contained to a single thread. the "old timers" around here might come off as prickly sometimes, but spend their free time supplying us with interesting posts about their projects as well as helping others out when needed (and even when not needed :rolleyes:).

carry on!

Thanks for the replys. I'll let you guys know the outcome.

@JmP6889928 I beg to differ, I got a few different responses I otherwise wouldn't have gotten had I only posted once. I tried to delete the earlier threads, but was unable to find a delete option. I obviously just signed up if you look at my profile, sorry I haven't posted almost 4k posts lol . I didn't know I couldn't delete a thread, I probably would've thought it through more before publishing. Anyways, I came here for help & some direction to solve a problem. For those that gave it, thank you! If you want to complain, go find something worth while to complain about man.

Edited by Flinkly
* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

JMP helps wherever he can. But why make multiple posts? You can update the first post!

What makes you think those parts are damaged?

The control arm took the impact, replace the RF lower control arm and get an alignment. PERIOD!

If there is an issue, the alignment will tell you.

From the pics, looks like lower control arm, fairly common when you hit a curb. Good luck, if you need any more info let me know.

Marck