LegacyGT.com

CVT Temperature apps

Hi all,

Trying to see if I can use an app to measure the CVT temperature to help come up with a reasonable replacement interval. I have a 2021 Outback Onyx XT on order, but some difficulties lately:

I am currently driving a 2019 Forester. My previous car was a 2011 Outback 2.5.

The 2011 could access CVT temperature via an app like ActiveOBD for Subaru on Android, using my OBDLink LX with a cheapie Android phone I had on hand (with no data plan)

The 2019 can not display the CVT temperature.

Trying to find out if this is a Forester thing, an app thing, or an adapter thing. Since the Outback and Legacy are practically the same car, I figured I would ask around here too. The OB forum appears to be stumped or people don’t care at the moment since the vehicle refresh is still pretty new.

If my fluid temperatures are under 180F I would consider running 100k intervals. Maybe even leave it alone if it stays at 160.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Greetings,

Just as a point of reference, I have a 2020 Legacy Base 2.5NA. As you know the Legacy does NOT have the CVTF cooler installed unlike the Outback which does.

Here are my CVTF and Coolant temps driven on a sunny day last summer when I picked up my new car (2000 miles on it).

It was clear, sunny, dry day with the outside temp 93F and humidity was typically high for Texas.

Starting temps: CVTF: 91.4 F and Coolant: 91.4F

After 9 mi warmup at 45 mph: CVTF: 159.8F and Coolant: 194F

After 40 mi highway cruise at 65 mph (TWICE): CVTF: 199.4F and Coolant 190.4F

After 20 mi stop+go in traffic: CVTF: 201.2F and Coolant: 194F

All the driving was done in one outing. I did the 40 mi highway both with cruise on and the first 40 was done in manual 6th gear (~2600 rpm) then in "D" (~1800 rpm). Both times the temps were the same (only +- a few F).

At the end of all the testing the Oil temp was 206.6F

Hope this gives some insight on when to service the CVTF. :)

Forgot to say all the temps were taken with a scan tool connected to the OBD port by a cable.

My 2020 Legacy has a build date of 02/2020 and purchased on 06/2020.

Now 1 year old with no issues. :)

As you know the Legacy does NOT have the CVTF cooler installed unlike the Outback which does.

Not quite true. Legacys do have a dedicated heat exchanger, with its own thermostat, to warm/cool the CVT fluid using engine coolant. The Outback adds a second air/oil CVTF cooler in front of the radiator and A/C condenser.

After more than 50 K miles each in our 2015 Legacy 2.5 and 2016 Outback 2.5, the highest CVT fluid temperature ever I've observed was ~215 F ... cruising across west Texas in our Legacy at 75 mph on a 100+ degree day. In general, CVT fluid temperature seems to stabilize within +/-10 degrees of engine coolant temperature. That said, slogging along at low speeds (below ~15 mph) with the torque converter clutch disengaged ... e.g. steep off-road trails or in deep snow, mud, etc. ... is probably the worst case for CVT fluid heating. An unlocked torque converter can dump lots of heat into the CVT fluid in a very short time.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png