LegacyGT.com

Torque bind questions

Hey guys. I picked up a 1996 LGT wagon recently and I'm having some issues with torque bind. I've done quite a bit of reading about the issue on here, but I'd like some opinions on the problem before I go ahead and buy any parts. My symptoms are as follows:

-Torque bind when cornering sharply, and in reverse

-16 "AT TEMP" flashes on startup

-FWD fuse does nothing

-Lately i have noticed an intermittent "rubbing" when driving, even in a straight line. It feels like it's coming from the rear of the vehicle. I'm wondering if I've further damaged something from driving with the torque bind issue.

Should I even attempt a few drain and fills of the trans fluid? From what I understand my symptoms indicate that it is the duty 3 solenoid that's causing my issues, does that seem correct? Also curious if I'd be better off just finding a used transmission and replacing the entire thing. I can't imagine a used transmission would be more than a few hundred dollars. Thanks in advance for any advice!

it sounds liekthe duty C solenoid is bad.

i have read that clean fluid did in fact ''free up'' one, once and brought it back to life.

seems like a long shot but that's what was posted.

i guess if the fluid id really dirty and the solenoid valve body is really gummed up,

and if clean fluid ''clears and cleans'' the valve body,

then maybe.

and 3 drian and fills will only cost about 45$, (3 gallons of ATF.)

a replacement duty c will cost about 125$ and you can replace it in your drive way.

use a catch basin to collect the ATF,

measure it, and add back the same amount.

now the trans is full with no guessing,

and you have completed another drain and fill.

if your trans runs well otherwise,

why replace ti.

also you can remove the rear section of the drive shaft and make it FWD only.

this will eliminate the binding untill oyu can replace the duty C.

Archived