LegacyGT.com

1995 Legacy L wagon 5mt awd transmission replacement?

Hi, I searched and I found a few threads about transmissions, but didn't find anything to answer my question. I want to know what transmissions from other manual Subaru (models,years,etc.) will fit and work with no modification as i need to replace my transmission soon. im trying to avoid swapping my diff as well so thats not really an option for me unless entirely necessary. Turns out what I had thought was a throw out bearing noise turned out to be a bad synchro causing a hellish scraping noise in my transmission. I can't afford new, so I am looking for used.

Thanks for all your help.

you can use a manual trans from ANY ej22 car, 95 - 98:

95 - 98 ej22 legacy, L, LS or brighton

95 - 98 impreza (low end cars, not WRX)

also the following:

93 - 97 impreza with ej18 engine

you CANNOT use a manual trans from an EJ25 car !!!!!!!!

there may be others that will work,

but all of these list are the exact same trans.

I had a devil of a time getting a used 5MT for my 95 because one side of May 1995 it was a 3.90 final drive, other side of May it was 4.11. I seem to be getting senile as I can't remember how that played out other than mine is a 3.90. Also seem to have lost all the paperwork and docs I used figuring it out. Other than that weirdness for the first part of 95 in the Legacy L line I think I remember all the rest of them were the same. YMMV.

I think I found a link related to the data I used originally. But I did jack up my back end (both wheels in the air) and turn the propeller shaft by hand while counting the rear wheel turns to verify I had a 3.90 (about 20 turns of the prop shaft) because the numbers on my trans vs. this chart don't agree.

http://www.gearhack.com/myink/ViewPage.php?file=docs/Subaru%20Transmission%20Chart

Thanks guys I found that chart on Gearhack to be very helpful. can you further explain how to find out what my final drive is? If I find a good deal on a trans/diff combo then I'll jump at that but I'd rather not have to if I don't need to.

Look @ the MFG date on the driver's side door B pillar. It should show something like '5/95'. If yours is before that than my best guess is it's a 4.11 FD as that's what all the '90-'94 5-speeds NON-turbos were. After that date is 3.90 FD ratio.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/attachments/f62/34811d1327250889-build-date-2004-forester-xt.jpg

it is a 1995 legacy ej22 w/ manual 5 speed trans.

your final drive ratio is 3.9 .

the following info is still true.

you can use a manual trans from ANY ej22 car, 95 - 98:

95 - 98 ej22 legacy, L, LS or brighton

95 - 98 impreza (low end cars, not WRX)

also the following:

93 - 97 impreza with ej18 engine

you CANNOT use a manual trans from an EJ25 car !!!!!!!!

the easyiest solution,

search the following web site.

you will have to search each model and year separately.

sort by zip code to see what is close.

www.car-part.com

not all the info on that gearhack chart is accurate,

there are some errors.

double check.

also if you do not believe me,

and double checking is always good,

go to http://opposedforces.com/parts

and put in your car details.

then look in the ''train'' section.

look for the rear diff, individual diff, or something like that.

then look for the ring and pinion gears.

the final drive ratio will be listed.

once you have noted the ratio,

click on the part number,

and then click on the ''usage info''

it will list all the cars and years that use that ratio.

the info i listed above is accurate for 95 - 98 manual trans in ej22 (and ej18) cars in the usa.

good luck.

To double check you jack up both back corners so the wheels can turn freely in the air. First block the fronts so they can't roll. Get under the car and turn the propeller shaft by hand. You'll need to mark the shaft and both wheels first. Then keep track of how many turns you do on the shaft and how many turns that makes on the wheels. If you did 39 turns on the shaft you would have exactly 10 on the wheels with a 3.90 final drive. I did 20 on the shaft and saw that I had a little more than 5 turns at the wheels rather than a little less than 5 like you'd get with a 4.10 rear. It's pretty tedious, and you have to use all care with jacking, jackstands, level surface, chocking, etc. to make sure you aren't crushed to death.

Get under the car and turn the propeller shaft by hand. You'll need to mark the shaft and both wheels first. Then keep track of how many turns you do on the shaft and how many turns that makes on the wheels. If you did 39 turns on the shaft you would have exactly 10 on the wheels with a 3.90 final drive.
i suppose this will work,

but it is not necessary.

this is not rocket science.

subaru only used 3 ratios in the 90 for the 'ej' cars , legos and imprezas.

(wrx, svx and other high end models not included)

95 - 99, ALL ej22 cars (and 93 - 97 ej18 imprezas)

3.9 - manual trans

4.1 - auto trans

95 - 99 ej25 cars

4.1 manual trans

4.44 auto trans

the svx had a 3.4545 (or maybe 3.5454)

and i know NOTHING about the wrx.

i don't need to, i dont drive them.

NOTE:

some, most, of the 99 auto trans are a phase 2 trans and will not swap into 95 - 98 cars,

but the ratios are still as listed above.

I think his point was that we've all seen conflicting info about what 95s used published on the internet and so he wanted a way to test his physical car to be sure. Same reason I climbed under there. Nothing wrong with being sure.

Archived