LegacyGT.com

Wife gave the ok to upgrade! Coils or Pinks/HD's?

TheDon427

Hey guys, I'm at work so I apologize if I leave any info out. Basically, my wife hates the way my stock Spec.B rides. I too have been surprised at how "stiff" it feels going over bumps. I just hit 34k miles so I doubt my suspension is blown. Anyway, she said I can go ahead and get a new suspension setup as long as it improves ride quality. As of right now, the only suspension mods are Rallitek fr/r sways and endlinks.

So, I already have a set of JDM Pinks brand new in the box. I was waiting on picking up a set of HD's. However, I'm now worried that would not improve the ride quality as she has requested. So, my other option would be a good set of coils like KW's or RCE.

Has anyone had both of these setups? How does the HD/Pink compare to stock regarding ride quality?

The car is a daily driver, about 63 miles daily, so ride comfort is a concern.

Stick with Pinks and get either Bilstein HD's or Koni's? Or get a quality set of coilovers? Car is 100% dd, no track use. Main concern is ride quality.

Not looking for them to necessarily be "softer" but a better ride quality. A good quality coilover (RCE or KW... not ISC, BC, etc.) will have far superior dampening when hitting bumps instead of riding like a Civic on cut springs.

The Koni's are better than HD's?

• I Donated
Not looking for them to necessarily be "softer" but a better ride quality. A good quality coilover (RCE or KW... not ISC, BC, etc.) will have far superior dampening when hitting bumps instead of riding like a Civic on cut springs.

The Koni's are better than HD's?

Yes the konis are better than the HDs. Also, they're adjustable so you can dial in what kind of response from them you want.

Contact Shaikh at Fatcat Motorsports, have him rebuild a set of bilsteins to match the pinks and request comfort. I got a used set of bilstein pss coilovers here, and he is rebuilding them for me right now. They take a long time, though, so if you go that route, maybe you should be a used set to send him rather than taking them off your car and having it undrivable for so long.

http://www.fatcatmotorsports.com/

Contact Shaikh at Fatcat Motorsports, have him rebuild a set of bilsteins to match the pinks and request comfort. I got a used set of bilstein pss coilovers here, and he is rebuilding them for me right now. They take a long time, though, so if you go that route, maybe you should be a used set to send him rather than taking them off your car and having it undrivable for so long.

http://www.fatcatmotorsports.com/

I sent my HDs back to Bilstein in CA and was told it would take 6 weeks to complete. Either way they'll be matched to my JDM Pinks and I'm looking forward to ditching the coils for that setup :D

they are great with pinks. again, since konis are adjustable, you can set them so they are good with nearly any reasonable spring rate, pinks included. HD's are not adjustable so they are what they are with pinks and if you dont like them, too bad.

konis are just better.

Thanks, Pete but I have Pinks, not COBBS. I'm trying to gauge whether or not it's worth keeping the Pinks or dropping the $$$ on a good set of coils. If I keep the springs, I then need to figure out which struts are best for comfort.

Yup, I'm aware that the HD's and Pinks are made for each other in regards to handling and performance. However, my main priority is ride comfort.

If I decide to go with Koni's, I think what I'll do is buy a set of LGT struts and gut them so that I can resell the Spec.B struts and springs.

How soon you want them? I ordered my pinks from EDO Performance about 8 weeks ago. They are due to be here in two weeks from Japan. I could not find anyone that stocked them in the states. My understanding is that unless you can find a used set or someone has them sitting on the shelf, be prepared for a wait.

RCE Tarmac 1's ride amazing WPMarky can attest to that since I was in his car :)

Struts would be a cheaper option and pinks would not be a bad keep with them but I would get springs that would be fit for your set up. Since you still have not used your pinks yet, you can definitely still sell them and get a different spring set easily. If you want improved handling and a bit of lowering theres plenty of reviews here on epic springs with konis on soft settings riding almost like stock, and when you want to with the konis you have the choice to stiffen it up.

I have swifts with konis and also the Perrin PSRS, the ride is not the softest but definitely rides better than some cars on other suspension set ups I've been in.

• I Donated
RCE Tarmac 1's ride amazing WPMarky can attest to that since I was in his car :)

Struts would be a cheaper option and pinks would not be a bad keep with them but I would get springs that would be fit for your set up. Since you still have not used your pinks yet, you can definitely still sell them and get a different spring set easily. If you want improved handling and a bit of lowering theres plenty of reviews here on epic springs with konis on soft settings riding almost like stock, and when you want to with the konis you have the choice to stiffen it up.

I have swifts with konis and also the Perrin PSRS, the ride is not the softest but definitely rides better than some cars on other suspension set ups I've been in.

^^There will be a GB for epic springs soon...

The HDs are significantly stiffer than oem spec b bilsteins takeoffs. There's no more "comfort" in HDs. You're moving from a softer suspension to a stiffer suspension.

This. Any combination of HDs or Koni's with aftermarket springs will make for a stiffer, harsher ride than your stock Spec.B suspension.

As far as high dollar coilovers riding smoother than stock, I have no experience or input about that.

Archived