LegacyGT.com

Tablet PC as Carputer?

MatsuDano

Does anyone know if a stock pushbutton switch partnumber if that is available? I was referring to the switches beneath the side mirror tilt angle adjustment control.. Currently they are just place holders that can't be depressed on my 2007 outback. I believe that should have should have functions on other legacy models. Thinking of hooking that to the power button on the Nexus 7.

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if a stock pushbutton switch partnumber if that is available? I was referring to the switches beneath the side mirror tilt angle adjustment control.. Currently they are just place holders that can't be depressed on my 2007 outback. I believe that should have should have functions on other legacy models. Thinking of hooking that to the power button on the Nexus 7.

The limited LGT has a heated wiper blade button that goes there. Downfall is you have to be in the car to turn it on, but it activates the little strips on the bottom of the windshield glass to de ice the wipers.

The limited LGT has a heated wiper blade button that goes there. Downfall is you have to be in the car to turn it on, but it activates the little strips on the bottom of the windshield glass to de ice the wipers.

Yeah that's the one. Actually any one of these 3 would do. Just need to rewire it to the nexus 7. Does anyone know the part number?

Xw0oJA

• 1 month later...

Quick update and question...

Today, I went ahead and installed the joycon exr module and successfully set it up with the steering wheel controls. I was also able to get the steering wheel controls to light up when I turn on the headlights and stuff. Had to figure that out since my car did not come with steering wheel controls...

So far, I've been able to map basic keyboard shortcuts to achieve the following: volume up/down, open google map, mute, play/pause, next/previous tracks.

But what I really want to achieve is to map a specific keyboard shortcut (e.g. Alt+C) to open a specific app. Even better, I would like to associate a keyboard shortcut to a specific action within an app (e.g. open google map in drive mode). Problem is I have been unsuccessful so far in doing that. Can't find a suitable and easy to use app to do this. Do you guys know of one that could do this kind of stuff?

Edited by xt2005bonbon

Quick update and question...

Today, I went ahead and installed the joycon exr module and successfully set it up with the steering wheel controls. I was also able to get the steering wheel controls to light up when I turn on the headlights and stuff. Had to figure that out since my car did not come with steering wheel controls...

So far, I've been able to map basic keyboard shortcuts to achieve the following: volume up/down, open google map, mute, play/pause, next/previous tracks.

But what I really want to achieve is to map a specific keyboard shortcut (e.g. Alt+C) to open a specific app. Even better, I would like to associate a keyboard shortcut to a specific action within an app (e.g. open google map in drive mode). Problem is I have been unsuccessful so far in doing that. Can't find a suitable and easy to use app to do this. Do you guys know of one that could do this kind of stuff?

When in doubt, Tasker should be able to do anything you need.

I don't have tasker. But I knew that somebody was going to mention that app. Any other solutions though? When I was doing my own search, it looked like the older Android OS came right out of the box with a built-in app or 'setting' called 'quick launch' where you could do exactly what I am trying to do. But of course, they got rid of it now :mad:.

Update...

Finally figured how to do this very easily: Install an app called 'anycut'. Create a 'shortcut' by browsing the 'activity' menu and look for 'quick launch'. An icon will be created on your desktop. Click that icon and voila. You will see a list of the currently assigned keyboard shortcuts which open specific apps. You can then modify these as you wish. Works perfectly!

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone else having problems with their nexus 7 thinking its still charging when the car is off. Ive switched 12v's new step down converters and reinstalled the timurs rom and all with no luck. I have literally manually unplug it for to stop thinking its charging. Maybe a internal grounding issue?

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

Anyone else having problems with their nexus 7 thinking its still charging when the car is off. Ive switched 12v's new step down converters and reinstalled the timurs rom and all with no luck. I have literally manually unplug it for to stop thinking its charging. Maybe a internal grounding issue?

I ran into that about once a week, couldn't figure out it out, I suspect there was enough of a draw/trickle in the line that the tablet would think it was still plugged into power and not go into a deep sleep. I fixed it by installing a little kill switch on the console down on the driver's side, hidden by the front edge of the seat. Works great.

Yes, actually I run in to this semi-frequently. I can generally reproduce it by quickly applying and removing power to the tablet. I think it's an issue with Timur's USB + OTG and fixed-install hack. It has to do with the connection between the ID and GND pin on the USB connector (i.e. what the tablet uses to check if it should be in OTG or regular USB mode). Since I used the bootloader command to force the tablet to turn on when it sees power, this gets real annoying as the tablet won't turn off when I remove the power (since it still thinks its charging, although it isn't). The only sure-fire way I've found to get the tablet to "reset" and correctly detect its sharging state is to boot into recovery mode and then reboot to normal mode. I have a Tasker script to boot into recovery, but it's a single shell command to boot into recovery while the tablet is up and running.

If anyone's interested, I can show a video of what happens and my workaround.

Yes, actually I run in to this semi-frequently. I can generally reproduce it by quickly applying and removing power to the tablet. I think it's an issue with Timur's USB + OTG and fixed-install hack. It has to do with the connection between the ID and GND pin on the USB connector (i.e. what the tablet uses to check if it should be in OTG or regular USB mode). Since I used the bootloader command to force the tablet to turn on when it sees power, this gets real annoying as the tablet won't turn off when I remove the power (since it still thinks its charging, although it isn't). The only sure-fire way I've found to get the tablet to "reset" and correctly detect its sharging state is to boot into recovery mode and then reboot to normal mode. I have a Tasker script to boot into recovery, but it's a single shell command to boot into recovery while the tablet is up and running.

If anyone's interested, I can show a video of what happens and my workaround.

Its funny you say that. My tablet used to auto boot into recovery when it restarted but one day it just stop doing so and ever since then , the power power came up. Thanks Ill check it out.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

• 3 months later...

I upgraded my 2006 LGT to a 2015 Legacy 3.6R this summer.

Since I was trading in my car, I put it back to stock. I have sold off the tablet, but I still have the custom cubby that I made to fit around the tablet. I'm going to take it to the recycling center in a week. If someone wants it, and will cover shipping costs, I'll happily ship it over (I'm in Vancouver, Canada).

Here's some links of some pictures so you know what I'm talking about:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4109859&postcount=129

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/tablet-pc-carputeri-149420.html?p=4103989#post4103989

I can include the ProClip mount as well if you like (just the mount for the car, not the part that mounts to the phone).

Edited by mclarenf3

• 2 months later...
Nice work! The power button is a nice touch! Sometimes I wish I bothered to install a remote power button for my 2013 install, but luckily it's been running mostly stable and I haven't had a need for it yet.

hey solidxsnake

since you have done your install, have you ever had to use the power button?

Planning to install another nexus 7 in my 06. But trying to avoid having to solder wires to it..

hey solidxsnake

since you have done your install, have you ever had to use the power button?

Planning to install another nexus 7 in my 06. But trying to avoid having to solder wires to it..

Nope, haven't used it once while it's in the car. I moved the tablet into my accord and still haven't needed the power button. Have had one or two freak occasions where the tablet didn't correctly enter deep-sleep and the battery died, but after letting it charge for a bit, it will turn back on on its own since I have the "off-state charge" bootloader option disabled. The kernel/ROM combo I'm using is stable enough for me. There's also a Tasker script I have to power the tablet down if the battery drops below 10% to avoid the case where the tablet completely drains itself.

So, can you elaborate a bit how to (easily) set up that 'off-stage charge'? I guess I could google it but you know :). I might give that a try. Note that I am using the latest Timur ROM on that tablet.

It's real easy, just one command. You'll need the android dev tools on your computer (i.e. adb, fastboot, etc.; for this you only need fastboot). Boot the tablet into bootloader (hold vol-down while turning it on), then plug it into a PC and then in a shell run:

fastboot oem off-mode-charge 0

Once you do that, whenever the tablet receives external power through the USB port, it will turn on (regardless of kernel, ROM, etc.). To revert this, same as above, but just use "1" instead of "0" in the command.

With the Timur ROM, the tablet will automatically wake up from deep sleep and will stay on as long as it is charging. As soon as charging stops, the tablet will go into deep sleep mode. That works great.

But what I am getting at are these freak events when either the tablet completely freezes and no longer responds for one reason or another, and would need to be rebooted manually, or the battery gets completely drained and the tablet powers down. In these cases, one would need to press the power button. But it sounds like that command would work for these situations?