LegacyGT.com

New radio solution from the mainland?

Yeah, I could make a few extra for sale. Priced lower than the other guys for sure. My prints won't be perfect as they come off a hobbyist printer so for example the first fascia printed in ABS curls a bit towards the edges and doesn't sit 100% flush with the fascia unlike the gray one shown in the photos. They should all be functional though and they're not ugly, just imperfect. Let me finish up making the relocation bracket and get the whole setup installed so I can make a proper listing. I'll drop it in the classifieds in a week or so.

idk if you can sand that stuff down but the buyer can just do some light sanding to clean it up, I dont care if its perfect just if I can get it in black would be the plus for me as I plan to paint the silver trimming black to math the JDM dash better

Whoa, nice find.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001039088367.html

So what is supposed to go in there something like this I believe?

https://www.amazon.com/CY-KT077/dp/B07WV3PNPZ/ref=psdc_319595011_t2_B071GHNZW9

https://www.amazon.com/Android-Double-Receiver-America-Capacitive/dp/B071GHNZW9

They fit without mods! For me I already spliced the stock radio speaker wires into an rca converter, but with the newer model one with the aux and mp3 player. This is an awesome solution for people like me with amps already so I don't need the big unit like op is using. Plus I like the function of my normal radio, i like the mp3 cd player, and would hate to just have a useless radio sitting in my dash. I would merge the audio signals directly to amps so the android thing has its own volume at all times, so it can play without the stock radio needing to be in aux mode and be on separate volume controls. I don't really want to replace the radio exactly just add to it, I was originally thinking carputer but an android tablet thing isn't bad at all and perfect if it can come with wireless mobile.

On another note what I think people missed is, that this is not for a generic tablet. The radios I linked are called

"9 inch back bottom Android car DVD player"

610fu%2BktR3L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

This piece was made specifically for android 9 inch car radios with the narrow back side, they taper down from top to bottom. So all you have to do is buy an android radio and it should work without any fuss.

I'm ordering one of these units now, anyone know what the cables do?? They sell the plate for 30 and some cables with rcas on it for 7. It probably goes directly into the aux port like the i88 radio mod, or whatever it was called. I'm going to order both. In the meantime I will search for a cheap android back bottom 9" radio to see if what i'm saying is true. If you don't need an amplifier, then you don't really need a bulky radio or a tablet, would make more sense to get something it was designed for, which is pretty much what most of us are looking for anyways.... if any of that makes sense.

Ha29e210a1a3f4265b637c30ef61a7a074.jpg

Edited by Tehnation

These units cost about the same price as a normal tablet and have better functionality with the buttons, options for backup cameras, etc. They seem much better geared for car application vs a normal tablet.

Either way thanks again for finding that! I can get a tablet system with bevel for like 200-300 bucks, with simple to no modification., and a backup camera, bluetooth to sync with your phone, mic is where its supposed to be, touchscreen, gps, video input, its a no brainer, i'm sold! I think this find was drastically overlooked! No need to overcomplicate it, just buy a radio that was meant to fit. This is a cheap, simple and effective solution for getting navigation, phone calls, and a full and bigger screen, video inputs etc.

The panel relocation kit is where its at! A simple solution like this should be popular, paired with a relocation kit, can make someone a couple dollars.

Edited by Tehnation

They come in different sizes, the bevel piece is 230mm on top, 220 on bottom, with a height of 130mm. So anyone looking to do it the way i'm thinking take note. And you may need one that fits a certain way like this one. I think this is the size and style thats supposed to fit in this piece, the ones I linked maybe not so much. Not sure because of those brackets how its supposed to slide in unless you take it apart.

https://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Android-Bluetooth-Navigation-Support/dp/B07WR88JX9

6174N0ocmFL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Edited by Tehnation

Seems like these things are only 2 channel, so you either have to split the signal to rear and front for amps but you only have control over balance and no fade , or push it through the stock radio and aux channel, unless there is a way to push it through over everything.

I'm finding more results for android double din car stereo 9" , trying to zone in on best terminology, this is the first ive heard of these things.

Someone let me know if i'm crazy!

Edited by Tehnation

The adapter I made is supposed to fit any double din radio. I saw the tablet options but I didn't want them because a lot of sellers lie about the specs on the tablet or they're just poor quality in general. Not all but you definitely have to read the fine print. Plus, once that tablet is out of date you're out of luck. My solution is meant to be a little more universal. As such I'm able to fit a better radio in (I.e. getting full channel support, app store, ips screen, etc).

The panel relocation kit is just about done btw. Printing a release version in abs now and will upload pics if all is well. It will require hot glue for bonding the adapter to the shifter bezel, and the clock will then bolt into the adapter. On my end I'll be doing a little bit of plastic welding getting the tabs to mount the clock. This is only required because I want to print the piece lengthwise up which produces the best looking print and the tabs would not provide a solid base for the printer since they stick out the sides. You'll see when I post the pic.

Also decided for the radio adapter I'll print some brackets to mount to the dash instead of the fascia just in case.

Excited to have my setup done. This has been a good chunk of work.

Edited by EatingInternet

Argh. So close. The bottom is completely flat, no warping, but the top cracked and broke while removing supports. The quality is great otherwise, just need to dial in the printer. I am going to build a better printer enclosure this week, so hopefully I should be able to get some prints I'm a little more proud of and market worthy.

IMG_20200809_100957.thumb.jpg.2efc4601a09134f4cb07bbfb351fdc8c.jpg

https://www.importimageracing.com/products/legacy-additive-clock-relocation-bracket-subaru-legacy-outback-2005-2009?variant=18827919622240

Apparently they already sell it, costs 60 bucks, 80 with tax and shipping! Ive bought a ton of stuff from importimageracing, so its probably legit. Just ordered one.

Product description:

The 05 to 09 Legacy and Outback Clock Relocation Bracket allows you to relocate the clock from the dashboard cubby to where the 12v cigarette lighter is in the shifter bezel. This is a common modification for those who install tablets and other accessories in the cubby location and since the OEM Subaru option is no longer available this is a great affordable option.

These clock relocation brackets are 3D printed out of ABS plastic so they are very strong and will withstand the high temperatures often seen inside of vehicle. The bracket is designed so that the clock bolts in to the bracket and the bracket must be bonded to the shifter bezel, epoxy designed for use on plastic is recommended. Stock wiring will reach the clock in its new position once it is rerouted down behind the radio and HVAC controls.

Legacy Additive products are made to order and require a minimum of 2 days to manufacture.

https://www.importimageracing.com/collections/legacy-additive/products/legacy-additive-modular-defroster-vent-gauge-pods-52mm-subaru-legacy-outback-2005-2009

Seems like this "Legacy Additive" company has a nice gauge set for vent as well.

Edited by Tehnation

lol, thats why I was skeptical, but I will see for 80 bucks. They emailed me and said they would send more pictures by tonight. Seems like the issue is its not finished, so u may need a sheet of sandpaper and paint maybe, I'm not familiar with 3d printed stuff. But it doesn't look so bad in the other picture. Who knows!

lol, thats why I was skeptical, but I will see for 80 bucks. They emailed me and said they would send more pictures by tonight. Seems like the issue is its not finished, so u may need a sheet of sandpaper and paint maybe, I'm not familiar with 3d printed stuff. But it doesn't look so bad in the other picture. Who knows!

3d printers create objects in layers, so imagine taking a bunch of parallel thin slices out of an object and the 3d printer just makes those layers on top of each other (at least most do. There's other styles as well). Depending on the orientation, a print can look ugly especially on curved surfaces because of the minimum layer height being relatively high ~0.2mm. You can make smaller layers and tune your printer for all eternity but the finer the details the longer it takes to print and tune the printer itself.

At some point good is enough. My prototype prints take usually 3-8 hours so that kinda gives you a scale of how long it takes. If I wanted to make a finished part with super tiny layer lines and make it look like it was injection molded, it would probably take days just to make the bracket and would have a high chance of failure.

The guy who wrote that review probably just expected another injection molded part and didn't read the description. It probably wasn't that bad unless the seller is straight shipping garbage. From his Facebook page he actually uses carbon fiber nylon now so I doubt it.

The only reason I made my own adapter is because I didn't like his price. If it was $20 I would've just bought one because of the labor it takes to make one. $80 is getting into buy-your-own cheap printer territory. Also this is fun for me, and I'm interested in getting ABS printing nice as you can chemically smooth ABS parts to remove layer lines.