LegacyGT.com

USB Music File Structure/Naming Help

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up one of these to test with:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LLER2CS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00]Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra Fit™ CZ43 32GB USB 3.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive Up To 130MB/s Read- SDCZ43-032G-G46: Computers & Accessories[/ame]

I filled it all the way up with my mp3 collection and have been pleasantly surprised at how well it works! My directory structure is each album gets its own directory, sorted into genre folders. So it goes about 2 layers deep in most cases, with up to 30 songs in each.

The first index took about 2 minutes, but now it takes about 30 seconds until all the music is loaded and I can get to anything. The fact that it resumes from the last point is a HUGE plus. Listening to something as it indexes is nice. Shuffle works well for me too.

I haven't yet turned it off near the end of a song. I guess if it's that big of a deal you could just pause it for a few seconds until indexing is finished? I don't know, since I'm on shuffle most of the time I don't mind the 1st song of the 1st directory playing, after all it will just continue shuffling after that. Or maybe I'm missing something? I'll go test it.

I thought the way it was explained was that the "Shuffle" function would shuffle songs within the current directory... So let's say you're in the "Streetlight Manifesto > The Hands That Thieve" directory shuffling all songs of that album, but it gets to the end of the song and then jumps to "Avenged Sevenfold > Avenged Sevenfold > Critical Acclaim", then you just got taken to a whole separate Genre, artist, and album, which normally wouldn't have been part of your typical "Shuffle".

Hopefully I explained that clearly enough...

I picked up one of these to test with:

Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra Fit™ CZ43 32GB USB 3.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive Up To 130MB/s Read- SDCZ43-032G-G46: Computers & Accessories

I filled it all the way up with my mp3 collection and have been pleasantly surprised at how well it works! My directory structure is each album gets its own directory, sorted into genre folders. So it goes about 2 layers deep in most cases, with up to 30 songs in each.

The first index took about 2 minutes, but now it takes about 30 seconds until all the music is loaded and I can get to anything. The fact that it resumes from the last point is a HUGE plus. Listening to something as it indexes is nice. Shuffle works well for me too.

I haven't yet turned it off near the end of a song. I guess if it's that big of a deal you could just pause it for a few seconds until indexing is finished? I don't know, since I'm on shuffle most of the time I don't mind the 1st song of the 1st directory playing, after all it will just continue shuffling after that. Or maybe I'm missing something? I'll go test it.

This is an awesome little flash drive, too... I might have to pick one up! My only concern would be trying to take it out, since my hands are so big and clunky x_x Do you have any trouble removing it from your console?

Mehilovich I found the shuffle button to be a three way toggle.

1. No shuffle

2. Shuffle in the current folder.

3 Shuffle the entire drive.

Hope this helps.

Good to know!! I read that shuffle and repeat (repeat just this song, this entire folder) are supposed to work this way in the manual, but I haven't seen a function that actually works this way, yet... Bluetooth, "iPod" (my phone plugged in via USB). I think I'm gonna give this a try sometime this week... I just need to decide if I want to get a 64GB, or 128GB. >.> decisions, decisions.

This is an awesome little flash drive, too... I might have to pick one up! My only concern would be trying to take it out, since my hands are so big and clunky x_x Do you have any trouble removing it from your console?
Nope, although I've only done it once... I had to kind of bend over to make sure i was yanking on the right thing, but that's not too bad.

• 2 months later...
I don't see a fix for the usb memory card input repeatedly, annoyingly, and without fail not loading my info until I ask to see the list. Then it loads, while playing music from the stick and the display says no files found. I have to unplug the stick, turn the car off, then restart, plug the stick in, wait 5 minutes to load and then all my music is there to select from. Same method everytime. Never had this issue in any of my cars, with the same stick plugged in. Grrr... Anyone know why this happens or a fix for it?

I don't see a fix for the usb memory card input repeatedly, annoyingly, and without fail not loading my info until I ask to see the list. Then it loads, while playing music from the stick and the display says no files found. I have to unplug the stick, turn the car off, then restart, plug the stick in, wait 5 minutes to load and then all my music is there to select from. Same method everytime. Never had this issue in any of my cars, with the same stick plugged in. Grrr... Anyone know why this happens or a fix for it?

I had this problem with a old USB 1 disk if I went over a couple of hundred songs. Once I waited 15 minutes for the list to load, pulled the thumb drive and found the disk corrupted. Once I moved to a 32gig USB 3 stick those slow indexing times and other issues went away.

I don't see a fix for the usb memory card input repeatedly, annoyingly, and without fail not loading my info until I ask to see the list. Then it loads, while playing music from the stick and the display says no files found. I have to unplug the stick, turn the car off, then restart, plug the stick in, wait 5 minutes to load and then all my music is there to select from. Same method everytime. Never had this issue in any of my cars, with the same stick plugged in. Grrr

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

I had this problem with a old USB 1 disk if I went over a couple of hundred songs. Once I waited 15 minutes for the list to load, pulled the thumb drive and found the disk corrupted. Once I moved to a 32gig USB 3 stick those slow indexing times and other issues went away.

This stick is a 32gb 3.0, worked perfect in my 13 accord and my wife's 15 CRV. Just frustrating.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
I know this thread is old, but I'd like to mention that I've successfully used a 128GB USB drive. It was even formatted FAT 32 by default. I suspect that the 256GB drives will work as well. I read online that newer Windows versions don't allow you to format FAT 32, and will require a separate application to do that. Best to leave the format done by the manufacturer alone.

• 6 months later...

Hello, been a while since a post on this ... from reading other posts I have a few questions:

1. Does the head unit keep one or two levels of folders ie Artist/>Album/>Track or does it dump all files into a possible endless[4000+] list if using a large cap usb?

2. Anyone tried using two usb's at the same time? [Leaving two constantly plugged in]

The head unit does not support m3u playlists. The maximum number of files on a USB device is 8000, the maximum number of folders on the USB is 512 folders, and the maximum number of files per folder is 255. Folders up to 8 levels deep can be used, however it can cause a lag, so Subaru recommends folders no more than 2 levels deep.

3. Is their an export feature that does a play list or do you need to duplicate all files in a new folder with a #'d order? If their is a playlist export what is it/where do I find it? :confused:

4. Have any of the firmware updates helped with issues mentioned?

5. Are people still having issues with mp3 files with the 320kbs setting? I ask since most files I have are at the 320 speed, but some older ones are 160 or 192kbs. :spin:

~Thanks

1. Does the head unit keep one or two levels of folders ie Artist/>Album/>Track or does it dump all files into a possible endless[4000+] list if using a large cap usb?

It builds a database on startup, using tags from the MP3 files themselves. File directory (folder) organization is irrelevant.

Have you read the manual?

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Ammcinnis -

I have read the multimedia/nav manual on p83 it looks like you can choose to display music files by Artists/Album/Song/Genre ... but it does not clarify if only one or multiple choices can be made ie order by artist then album or if you have to chose one and the database will be built by that choice.

p 107 states that if files are mpeg 1 layer 3 files from 32-320kbs are supported, however as stated previously in this thread by larrya07 his ltd did not like the 320kbs files ....

I can not find anywhere in the manual where it states any comment about using both usb ports for music memory.

• 1 year later...
The maximum number of files on a USB device is 8000, the maximum number of folders on the USB is 512 folders, and the maximum number of files per folder is 255. Folders up to 8 levels deep can be used, however it can cause a lag, so Subaru recommends folders no more than 2 levels deep.

Thank you for this information, do you know if it's still current for the 2017 models? Where did you find it published?

I just looked at my "collection". I have it set up as Artist -> Album -> Songs.

It's 10,000 files though, and the root directory is 1206 folders, so I'm guessing this won't work. Re-indexing takes at least 15 min everytime I start the car. I get the last song played and then it goes to Guano Apes and then to Guns N' Roses. No idea why it starts with G unless it trimmed the 2000 songs before it. I'm beginning to hate Welcome to the Jungle.

I'm surprised that it has to re-index every single time it starts, my old Kenwood DMX7704S and the Pioneer before it stored the catalog as a file. Perhaps it's time to trim the crap out of my collection. I have entire albums ripped from the old CD days that I might like just a song or two.

Edited by SSpeed

I know mine a '17 HK unit organized the playlist by the order it read them on the USB stick... Which was close to the order I loaded them into the stick, not by alpha numeric folder structure... Is super irritating and some folders, it has reorganized the songs in it alphabetically even though they are numbered 1-10 for order!

... '17 HK unit organized the playlist by the order it read them on the USB stick... Which was close to the order I loaded them into the stick, not by alpha numeric folder structure...

At power-on, a Fujitsu-Ten head unit (MY 2015-2017) scans for music files in file directory order, and builds a music database using the genre/artist/album/track number/track name tags present in each file. If tags are missing from some (or all) files, it will substitute directory and file names for the missing information, and if track numbers are missing it will sort tracks alphabetically by file name. While it's a bit of work, you can edit or add tags to MP3 files using a free program/app like Mp3tag.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

• 5 months later...

Playing with the head unit on my new 18 Forrester (no nav). Was originally optimistic after testing a few files on a small USB, but ran into issues as I bulked up. I am aware of the 255 song per folder limit, and the 9999 total song limit per USB.

That said, there are two big annoyances I've come across

1. Load time every car start - worse for large collections. I tried a full 9500 song collection on a 64gb usb, after 10 minutes of scanning still did not load a library. Cut this in half, too long. FInally tried about 3000 songs on a 16gb usb, first time I inserted took 4 minutes to get a library. Good news is if I left the USB inserted and restarted the car, only takes about 1 minute to rebuild the library. So 4x as much time the first round.

2. Playlist files not supported, but the ID3 info (artist, album) reads pretty well. I tried changing composer (which I never use) to a name so I can treat it like a dynamic playlist. It works, almost. Issue is the same as with genre or artist, you cannot just have it play one artist or one genre, or one composer/playlist. It breaks then down into albums, so I would have to remove all album data. Even then, I try to tell it to play Jazz, it will only let me play an artist under jazz (no albums) or an album of an artist under jazz. This is really dumb, anyone know a work around?

So, greater than 16gb might take over 10 minutes to load first time, if it drops to 2 minutes after that I can live with it. The 9999 song limit is the bigger issue. If I want to use songs under artist (one directory) and part of a playlist (another directory) I need to add the song twice to the USB. These are petty little issues that should not exist.

1. We need to be able to store the music library so it doesn't take 1-3 minutes to load

2. You should be able to play all of one artist, all of one genre, etc

3. Why not play m3u files?

4. Seriously, why a song limit?

Good news is ipod support is much faster (uses the ipod database), so if you have an old classic you are set.

REplying to my post as I have made an awesome discovery. Saw some comments on voice control to access artist so I tried it, and it works, not only does it work but it bypasses my #2 complaint about albums. I can say "Play artist Rush" and it makes a playlist of all Rush songs on my USB. Likewise, I can say "play Blues" and it plays all songs with Blues as Genre (might want to say genre blues). Finally, "Play composer mellow" will make a playlist for all songs I tag composer with the word mellow.

Best part, shuffle now represents the playlist, meaning you can cycle through shuffle off, shuffle playlist, and shuffle all (rather than shuffle folder). Strange that you have to use voice commands to do this but it definitely makes everything much rosier now. Voice commands have to initiate each time, 1 minute to initiate my 16gb USB, another minute for voice commands to be initiated. Still not perfect but getting better.

Now I need to add some Beatles...