LegacyGT.com

Disconnect trunk wiring harness??

I recently spotted a 5th gen at my local junkyard. Same color as mine with the OEM spoiler and a reverse camera. I want to take the entire trunk but not sure how to disconnect the wiring harness and I don't want to cut it.

Fellow Legacy owners, have you ever removed your trunks? lol

How would you disconnect the wiring harness to the trunk. Is there like a body to trunk connector somewhere?

Edited by ssulb

Hopefully this will be helpful.

Thank you very much for the PDF. Where did you find this info? I have the FSM and many other PDFs manuals but I don't think I have it all.

I actually went to the junkyard and saw the trunk was in pretty bad shape. Lots of scratches, dents on top, rust holes on the bottom of it (typical), and rust near license plate holes.

Also I realized it is a different silver color. Mine is Steel Silver Metallic and this one was Ice Silver Metallic. And sadly no backup camera. The picture the junkyard posted was low quality and I thought I saw something sticking out that looked like the camera.

I ended up just taking the OEM spoiler and made a template where the hole line up on the trunk.

saVVbV5.jpg

Test fit on my car. I actually really like the look of the OEM spoiler.

tQ1Fvnq.jpg

I also took the OEM radio with the 4.3" screen. I am going to make a harness and get it working with my car. I could just upgrade to something aftermarket but I sort of wanted to stick with the OEM look. Plus I got this one for a very good price. I took the radio, harness, connectors, USB port, and SXM antenna. I would love to get the 2013 Navigation head unit some day and upgrade to that.

DE8hkm5.jpg

Edited by ssulb

Unless you're dead set on having the OEM spoiler with a functional brakelight, I'd recommend dremmeling off the embedded screws and and mounting with 3M body adhesive instead of drilling any holes. Will keep your trunk clean if you ever feel like removing it in the future, and be easier to mount and dismount. Did that with mine and it held more than strong enough for the spoiler to be used as a lift point for the trunk.

That said, if you want functioning brake light, yeah, go with the template. And yeah, the factory spoiler is a really good addition if your car has had a naked trunk for most of its life.

Unless you're dead set on having the OEM spoiler with a functional brakelight, I'd recommend dremmeling off the embedded screws and and mounting with 3M body adhesive instead of drilling any holes. Will keep your trunk clean if you ever feel like removing it in the future, and be easier to mount and dismount. Did that with mine and it held more than strong enough for the spoiler to be used as a lift point for the trunk.

That said, if you want functioning brake light, yeah, go with the template. And yeah, the factory spoiler is a really good addition if your car has had a naked trunk for most of its life.

The brake light would be nice but I can live without it. Using 3M body adhesive is a good idea as it doesn't involve drilling holes. I am just worried it might not hold strong but if you say it held strong for you then I think it is worth it to try out.

Make sure to get 3M VHB specifically, and I can promise it will hold as long as you clean and prep the surface properly. VHB is even stronger than normal 3M.

Here's my post from mounting it, scroll through the pictures to see how I did the tape on it. https://www.instagram.com/p/BytTEQmgBWH/

Edited by Humble Rumble

Thank you very much for the PDF. Where did you find this info? I have the FSM and many other PDFs manuals but I don't think I have it all.

There's a bonus on that USB drive I sent. ;)

I ended up just taking the OEM spoiler and made a template where the hole line up on the trunk.

Would you be willing to pass on that template when you're done with it? I've been thinking about getting an OEM spoiler, but don't want to deal with trying to get the holes aligned on my own.

Also, I have a factory bluetooth kit in my car. If you're interested, I wouldn't mind swappig it for your cubby.

Edited by Plastixx

Make sure to get 3M VHB specifically, and I can promise it will hold as long as you clean and prep the surface properly. VHB is even stronger than normal 3M.

Here's my post from mounting it, scroll through the pictures to see how I did the tape on it. https://www.instagram.com/p/BytTEQmgBWH/

Yup, I agree the prep work and a clean surface is the most important step.

There's a bonus on that USB drive I sent. ;)

Oh sweet. Can't wait to see it. Thank you.

Would you be willing to pass on that template when you're done with it? I've been thinking about getting an OEM spoiler, but don't want to deal with trying to get the holes aligned on my own.

Also, I have a factory bluetooth kit in my car. If you're interested, I wouldn't mind swappig it for your cubby.

Sure no problem. I can make a cleaner version of the template and pass it on. Or maybe I can figure out a way you can just print it and tape several pieces of paper together at like dashed lines.

I have the OEM H/K Bluetooth kit that is already built-in so I don't need the Bluetooth kit that goes into the cubby. Thanks always though.

Edited by ssulb