LegacyGT.com

Intake conundrum

Here are pics of what I have for breathing on my new project. I hear the stock setup is actually quite good but, I haven't got those pieces to work with. With what you are seeing here how would you proceed? I likely will end up in a stage 2ish build and looking at a vf52.

20191017_200714.thumb.jpg.02d83ed7dbc6ab6e8b4e3b725345d029.jpg

20191017_200723.thumb.jpg.18b40df05f068bdb88e27bce93713e99.jpg

20191017_200730.thumb.jpg.67a589fc4cabc0da48f333615ac07b32.jpg

I would leave all of that alone and spend your money elsewhere. That's a fine intake for stage 2, and I don't think anyone here will tell you that a GS CAI will be dramatically better than the K&N you have on there unless you're going for more power. .

The little black device in your second shot is a 3-port electronic boost control solenoid (EBCS).

The stock TMIC is what you have in your 3rd picture. That is worth upgrading depending on how much boost you intend to run. Plenty of people run the stockers with stage 2, though. They just tend to start leaking at the joint between the side tanks and core if you run too much boost, but that area can be reinforced. Look up the 'bulletproof stock TMIC' threads.

Edited by awfulwaffle

Stock intake is totally fine for a VF-52, (and in fact you can start inviting boost creep with an aftermarket CAI until you bump up to a bigger turbo). Best to get a dyno tune at some point to ensure that the tune can be scaled to a non stock intake. I'd also suggest spending your money elsewhere at this point :)

Yep better tmic or at least the bulletproof mod. I think leaks are common around 17+ psi. That intake is fine though save the money and put it into the intercooler or tune.

I'm assuming it's tuned right now? Did you just get the vehicle? Cobb AP? If it's not you need a tune with aftermarket ebcs has been my understanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep better tmic or at least the bulletproof mod. I think leaks are common around 17+ psi. That intake is fine though save the money and put it into the intercooler or tune.

I'm assuming it's tuned right now? Did you just get the vehicle? Cobb AP? If it's not you need a tune with aftermarket ebcs has been my understanding.

Thank you. I am not going to assume anything with this car as I just got it and the previous did not seem to know much. I am doing some minor things then running it to a shop for a full diagnostic. If it's in good health I'll add some things and get it tuned. If not I'll start righ away on a 257

leakdown and compression test are a must!

Yea judging from the setup, whoever owned it didn't know much. They shoulda bought a tmic before an intake.

For stage 2, 1 or anything, you should get an uncatted uppipe and 3" downpipe with 3" to 2.5" adapter if you want to keep stock exhaust, then an aftermarket tmic.

all that stuff is useless(intake, tmic and vf52) without the 3" downpipe, thats step one!

Edited by Tehnation

take a picture of the downpipe, so we can check if its aftermarket or stock! And take a picture of the uppipe so we can check if the previous owner swapped out the catted uppipe, if its stock uppipe that shit needs to go in the trash immediately! the catted up pipes will discharge shrapnel into your turbo and then into ur engine which will KO everything!

If you have some $$$$ get the Grimmspeed tmic! your intake is already aftermarket cai so there is no point buying another.

Also check up and research what people are saying about that perrin turbo inlet pipe, here or on nasioc, because there have been issues with soft/silicone ones collapsing in on themselves under vacuum, so only a handful of turbo inlet pipes are actually "good".

Edited by Tehnation

Also check up and research what people are saying about that perrin turbo inlet pipe, here or on nasioc, because there have been issues with soft/silicone ones collapsing in on themselves under vacuum, so only a handful of turbo inlet pipes are actually "good".

I thought that wasn't until like 20+psi that anything had those issues?

The new perrin are mesh reinforced so you might be able to squeeze it some. If not you can always do some cheap mods to resolve that issue if worried. Not sure it'll be a problem on a vf52, not until after upgrading fueling at least.

Fair enough. I'm armchairing it honestly. Mine doesn't even run and I've got no experiencing. Just soaking in info.

It's certainly worth checking into but you're heading the right direction. And like boxkita said, find a good tuner. And certainly get a leak down and compression test. I wish I had, might have saved me $1k in towing from Kansas to Utah.

Not a Honda. Intake is the last thing to upgrade not first.

Finding a good tuner is worth more than any stack of parts.

very true!

basic setups can be done by an etune i'm assuming. But intakes sometimes make things wonky as well as bigger fueling if not done in person/ on dyno. But etuners have come a long way.

Any good dyno tuners in Washington?

Your probably right, but then again vf52's or any stock 2.5 turbo can push 20+ psi on right setups.

After 15years + , folklore still drives builds. I spent the weekend with a 400hp sti using a Perrin intake. I didn't see it collapse.

There's other stuff that fails, most of it cheap knockoffs. Quality goods well maintained fail only under extreme circumstances. "I heard" or "I read it on FB" generally originate from someone who hasn't a clue.

I just think its better to know the situation of your parts before moving ahead. I see a red flag when someone puts on a silicone turbo inlet on a stock turbo, brand wasn't the issue, there was no need for it, or the intake, so I would question everything. The op didn't buy all this stuff, it came with the car I'm assuming.

All I can say is research needs to be done, otherwise he wouldn't make a post about getting another intake, when he already has a k&n short ram intake. Thats an old design, and i don't know anything about perrin so i'm assuming thats an old design as well, it is an 05. Its better to know exactly what you have.

The 750’s should be fine as long as they are within spec for flow and will allow you to max the potential of the VF52 when paired with a better fuel pump, (of course you’ll need to swap to top feed fuel rails now)

I got them from another member who stated low mileage so they aught to be good. He referenced having them cleaned which I will.

He talked about an adapter, was he meaning change rails? I'd be inclined to go new rails than adapter if this is the case.

I've got a thread going about this engine which has become a tire discussion lol but, you have some ideas about fuel rails and fuel pump?

I got them from another member who stated low mileage so they aught to be good. He referenced having them cleaned which I will.

He talked about an adapter, was he meaning change rails? I'd be inclined to go new rails than adapter if this is the case.

I've got a thread going about this engine which has become a tire discussion lol but, you have some ideas about fuel rails and fuel pump?

On fuel rails I've seen suggested running to the junkyard and getting oe ones from an 08-09 lgt or certain year sti. Don't remember the year. You'll also need top feed tgv. There were some for sale in the forums, or the aforementioned junkyard.