LegacyGT.com

pdXammo's MT Wagon resto/build

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I had to have some craziness today as a slacker friend failed to bring me the fork extensions I traded him some cable rail parts for. I had to use my flatbed and get the spec b off. What's a guy to do, you've got two forklifts, improvise...

I also installed the K2 Gear mufflers as I was really curious how these would sound. They are great. Nice deep sound but, really quiet at highway rpm, what more could you want, Thanks HKC-Speed! Ordering up the Nameless mid-pipe to compliment it.

The engine is all released just need to hook the hoist on it and pull it out.

Started swapping door panels over too but, may pause to put some speakers in while they are off. Scatterbrains...

20191213_134021.thumb.jpg.b783692e1404e29791bf3af2a7c63fa1.jpg

20191213_134629.thumb.jpg.3dec6c54375c2409f6cd0a0d8eb2ea34.jpg

20191213_115957.thumb.jpg.f7bbb57b788000b7162891370ce09a16.jpg

20191213_120009.thumb.jpg.62e847697dd909882324e6be44a9d9fb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have a ton of things happening at once. Running out of places to stack things so I am putting body mods on. I'll pull off again to paint but, this way everything will be figured out and less handling and dinking around with painted things. The bumper was lost in customs for a few weeks but, finally arrived. Trial fitting and all now. Need to build harnesses for the HID headlights and folding mirrors. I'll be content to have the housings in place for now. Time to buy an assortment pack of new body tabs.

I want to approximate the foam infill but, unsure how to do so. I guess I'll reach in with a tape measure and do my best to guess. I'll find a hot wire and cut some usdm foam down or use some other method to trim it.

20200103_195617.thumb.jpg.7db9da125e5508e6d90596b26b5369da.jpg

20200103_203237.thumb.jpg.9ce0ef0c3040f76d7020a1f03850359e.jpg

20200103_203424.thumb.jpg.780a2b57bb79a9dbb6903c4362170fab.jpg

I think I need to modify these brackets. I bought a JDM front bumper rebar from HKC-Speed and it looks like every other one I can see online however there seems to be no way to incorporate the bracketry that supports the headlight mounts. The radii of the bumpers is different so you can't just bolt those on either.

I am going to weld a tab on one side and weld the other directly to the overlayed piece of sheet metal in that assembly then cut the rest of that portion free. I'll then drill out the spot welds holding it onto the usdm bumper mount. I believe it will suffice to just bolt that on along with the JDM mounts. I won't bother with the weld. Prime with zinc-primer and top coat. There's some illustrations on the second picture that are not obvious unless you enlarge it by clicking it.

Anyone have a better idea?

20200103_204205.thumb.jpg.4c0f5d7f29a2540d622e863fdd744cd7.jpg

20200103_204609.thumb.jpg.85b13ef023df53e847ec9da41d18cf21.jpg

Also rear bumper and side skirts coming too. Those are pretty good. Front bumper is totally usable as is but, would need a little work for a repaint and there's some things that can be fixed on it. Attempting to price at 40 an excellent bargain, feel free to disabuse my of that assumption as I am somewhat guessing. I suppose I'd probably trade it for some wisdom as well...

It does indeed. It's not in awesome condition. $40 or something cool in trade.

oh gotcha, wondered if it was peppered like mine is :) I've family in Federal Way so I'm up often. Yeah, let me ponder that, if all if needs is a repaint but its good structurally, it would be nice to have a spare

oh gotcha, wondered if it was peppered like mine is :) I've family in Federal Way so I'm up often. Yeah, let me ponder that, if all if needs is a repaint but its good structurally, it would be nice to have a spare
I was thinking the same thing. It's impossible to find an rbp bumper in good condition. The paint on the '05 vehicles is awful.

I actually have 3 rbp bumpers currently that I've been keeping as spares and looking for someone to do a re-spray. Most paint places I've talked with near me (SW WA) make it seem that it's not worth their time to paint and make the cost ridiculous so I never go through with it.

I was thinking the same thing. It's impossible to find an rbp bumper in good condition. The paint on the '05 vehicles is awful.

I actually have 3 rbp bumpers currently that I've been keeping as spares and looking for someone to do a re-spray. Most paint places I've talked with near me (SW WA) make it seem that it's not worth their time to paint and make the cost ridiculous so I never go through with it.

Hate to hear that as this was my plan, have an extra that I could just take down to the body shop and have them shoot it instead of bringing them the whole car. I've had mine re-shot once but that was about 10 years ago when a jalopy toyota corolla lost its rear window right in front of me and when the glass hit the pavement on I-5 it just exploded into a million pieces and then hit my car at 65mph. Insurance paid for the respray but too many winters and general abuse have passed since then and its totally worked again.

hkc-speed can do it. He did my wife's red wrx. Can't even see where it was painted

hkc-speed can do it. He did my wife's red wrx. Can't even see where it was painted

For Oregon people I know a guy in Salem that is excellent and not too much.

We call him touch up Tim but, I cannot remeber his business name. Maybe we should get a giant load of bumpers , hoods etc and have them done together...

Please buy it from me lol. Too much stuff around the shop.

Hahaha. Maybe come tax time I can buy some more stuff from you. Just found out the steering rack is a slightly different ratio so been looking at what extra I'll need for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hahaha. Maybe come tax time I can buy some more stuff from you. Just found out the steering rack is a slightly different ratio so been looking at what extra I'll need for it.

I could sell you either rack really. Both will be out of the cars. I'll make you a great deal on the nav.

All this happened today... Going to break down the calipers and rebuild them with new seals etc. This seemed to be from a wrx but, as far as I can tell it will bolt right up. I'm a little puzzled by these rotors that seem just like GT rears but, have a wider surface for the pads to ride on. Anyone know what those are off of? A WRX? Same size e-brake drum as the gt.

These World Rally seats came today and I'm not sure that these are not actual leather. It sure feels thicker and different than the spec b seats which are plastic.

20200104_181439.thumb.jpg.4c11d317cbde7b15b10d4ee32522855e.jpg

20200104_182304.thumb.jpg.1a3403241a1db76718b3e5509e4d5eae.jpg

20200104_181529.thumb.jpg.3c222bffeb5992552ffb3739e1a4154a.jpg

I could sell you either rack really. Both will be out of the cars. I'll make you a great deal on the nav.

I'll take whichever has less rust haha. I'm planning to rebuild it anyway with new seals just in case since it'll be off the vehicle.

I had thought the obxt was the same as the lgt. But it's 3.2 turns to lock not 2.8. My other confusion is apparently the 08 spec b is 2.6 according to the fsm but that could be shorter travel due to the wheels. The 15+ sti is apparently 2.4 and that one will give me vdc issues which I don't care to deal with.

I'll be getting a Carplay radio so I'm good on the nav but I do want lgt brakes. I think I'm trying to buy stuff off you that's still on vehicles haha.

Quick Google search says rotora makes big brake kits and apparently vivid racing was very not happy with them.

The shaping looks a little different than stock wrx brakes as well. So those are not oe. That also explains the larger rear rotor. Last comment is unless you really want the feel or look of the closed piston, the lgt brakes are better than the wrx brakes. The only upgrades are sti brembos, wilwood, or endless big brake kits. And all are $$$.

Unless of course you got the outback and got screwed in a few places. Like brakes and steering racks....

I'll take whichever has less rust haha. I'm planning to rebuild it anyway with new seals just in case since it'll be off the vehicle.

I had thought the obxt was the same as the lgt. But it's 3.2 turns to lock not 2.8. My other confusion is apparently the 08 spec b is 2.6 according to the fsm but that could be shorter travel due to the wheels. The 15+ sti is apparently 2.4 and that one will give me vdc issues which I don't care to deal with.

I'll be getting a Carplay radio so I'm good on the nav but I do want lgt brakes. I think I'm trying to buy stuff off you that's still on vehicles haha.

I've got a bunch of brake stuff. Let's talk

Quick Google search says rotora makes big brake kits and apparently vivid racing was very not happy with them.

The shaping looks a little different than stock wrx brakes as well. So those are not oe. That also explains the larger rear rotor. Last comment is unless you really want the feel or look of the closed piston, the lgt brakes are better than the wrx brakes. The only upgrades are sti brembos, wilwood, or endless big brake kits. And all are $$$.

Unless of course you got the outback and got screwed in a few places. Like brakes and steering racks....

Where you see the bit about Vivid and Rotora?

This kit is all WRX dimensions on the rotors. Front is two piece at 326mm and the rear is 290mm just like the lgt except the dragging surface is a little wider. I'm pretty sure the rears are just an oe rotor. I'm also thinking plain old wrx rotors will work all the way around.