LegacyGT.com

Brake upgrades 4th gen leg

This post is not about whether you believe in slotted VS drilled rotors. But what upgrades have you done to your brake system on the 4th gen. I was thinking of doing the stoptech setup.

Here is the exact ones

BK430195 POWER STOP K286

Tell me what works and what doesn't & thank you for your input

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

This is good for guidelines of what works and what doesn't.

Brakes: How to buy brake upgrades?

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=5383&share_tid=8151&url=https%3A%2F%2Flegacygt%2Ecom%2Fforums%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D8151&share_type=t&link_source=app

The gist is, lgt brakes are pretty good. The sti brembo (4 or 6 pot) are upgrades if you're doing track stuff. The wrx 4 pot are a downgrade and change the feel. There is also a wilwood 4 piston kit that's no longer made that's supposed to be solid.

I've never seen a for or against any specific rotors. It seems that the stock blanks work really well for most people. Most people still on the forums are either using reman stock brakes or full on race cars. Most responses for a daily driver car are flush and different pads.

If you told us what car you have and your intended use of the brake upgrade, you'll get better responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 2008 3.0r Legacy

125k daily driver TX tollway speeds over 85mpg with a baby on board. Wanted more bite just incase sometimes 50 to 80 feet is the differents between crashing and having a quicken heart beat beacuse some did not use a blinker.

Plus after an engine rebuild around 200k, I'm looking to add a supercharger.a9442526d7bff3dd6e246bd4b45b264a.jpg20150607_093031_HDR.thumb.jpg.eaae281b8b3ad470cbe21df01dd95834.jpg

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

20150820_172127.thumb.jpg.e45eee5d3fa0d2eee22b600b9734fe38.jpg

Well aside from agreeing with tehnation, for braking, make sure you do a fluid flush. Feel free to change out your rotors but I think good pads will likely do more than fancy rotors.

And make sure your tires are good, cuz if you can lock up your brakes already, rotors won't make much difference in an emergency stop situation. All of the brake upgrades are more for extended periods of hard braking. Reducing fade and stuff like that. I know it's not what you want to here, but flush your fluid first and I think you'll be surprised.

Assuming you have a GT, the stock brakes are fine for street use. Any decent rotor, (centric, NAPA Ultra Premium, etc) is fine. Add some street performance pads, (Hawk, etc), perhaps some Stainless brake lines if you want to up the pedal feel a bit, and you're good to go. If you want bling then look for some nice used Brembo's off an STI. But yeah, the GT brakes are actually quite sufficient for street use with just decent rotors, pads, and a fresh fluid flush.

OR not do 100mph with your baby in the car?

Not a super helpful response. I had to smash the brakes yesterday because neither myself nor the guy in front of me saw the person in the crosswalk. Was doing maybe 15mph and all I could think as my foot went through the super spongy feeling of my 270k 99 civic was **** I shoulda replaced the tires sooner.

Confidence in braking has little to do with speed. These cars are hard to find and I certainly don't want to wreck mine. In the summer I'm up and down steep canyons 2-3 times a week and nearly every trip I smell someone who has cooked their brakes (granted because they don't know how to drive but still)