LegacyGT.com

Cant decide 3.6r or STI?

JJay03

I will try to give you enough info here to help me decide.

I am 34 years old and married but no kids. I currently drive 60 miles round trip each day for work downtown that is mostly highway. I am in IT and do not have to drive clients around. My car is kept in a garage at work and home.

I currently have a Chevy SS sedan which I really do like but when I got it I thought I would drive it more and be ok with driving the 98 Legacy in the winter. The legacy is getting pretty old now but I end up driving it more then I do the SS. I want that 1 car I can drive all year and enjoy but not baby too much like I do my rare SS (#2 of 2 as optioned and only 61 built in my color). I keep my 98 legacy at my parents garage next door since I only have a 2 car garage which has my SS and my wifes FXT in it. Once I finish my house in a few years and build another garage then I can always get a second car. Not sure I made it too clear but selling the SS because I feel like its sort of a waste at this time to have a car that sits a lot. I will be selling the 98 LGT as well since the next car I get will also be awd and driven in the snow.

I have always wanted a WRX STI but ended up getting the SS instead last time. My only negative about the STI now that I am 34 and it may be a bit too flashy or boyish for me? Thinking everyone may try to challenge me and ill take the bait and end up getting busted. I can be a man child sometimes while driving. Its a blast to drive though and I love how communicative the car is between the driver and the road unlike anything else I have driven.

The other option is to play it safe and get a 3.6r. The negative here is that it only comes with a cvt and may get boring fast. The positives being how comfortable it is and quiet on the highway. If I ever get stuck in traffic the CVT would be nice. Now that I work really early the traffic is not so bad but when I worked 9-5 it was terrible. It would be more low key as well and not attract as much attention which I like.

Im torn on which to choose and need some opinions. Im leaning towards the STI but my gut sort of tells me to just get the Legacy 3.6r that is cheaper and less likely to get me a bunch of speeding tickets.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Go with your gut, its usually the right choice. But if you want to skip the CVT you could get a used H6 with a 5EAT.

Yeah its just that my gut never seems to be right lol. I am the worst person when it comes to making a decision. I did find out from another forum that the average age of a WRX owner is 33 which is much older then I had thought. I will look around for some 5eat legacys.

Try and drive the 2018 WRX. You may find it easier to live with as a daily driver. Very fun to drive and you aren't forced to take a CVT. Choose a conservative color and avoid flashy wings, etc.

Try and drive the 2018 WRX. You may find it easier to live with as a daily driver. Choose a conservative color and avoid flashy wings, etc.

I test drove an 18 STI on Saturday and loved it. Right now leaning towards lapis blue but no way around the wing on the base model I want unless I swap trunks.

I test drove an 18 STI on Saturday and loved it. Right now leaning towards lapis blue but no way around the wing on the base model I want unless I swap trunks.
I meant check out the regular WRX with some of the option packs they have now, instead of the STI. WRX is more suitable for long trips and daily driver commuting, and quite a bit less expensive, too.

I meant check out the regular WRX with some of the option packs they have now, instead of the STI. WRX is more suitable for long trips and daily driver commuting, and quite a bit less expensive, too.

I test drove the WRX before and like the STI much more. The wrx felt numb to me in comparison and would rather just get the legacy vs the WRX. Plus I am not a big fan of direct injection yet or the power delivery of the FA motor.

And here I'm considering going from my Legacy Spec.B to an SS. :)

Get an STI and another trunk lid to get rid of the wing. Immediately takes the flashiness right down to a manageable level.

...would rather just get the legacy vs the WRX...

The current generation WRX seems about the same size as the 4th generation Legacy and is available with a manual trans. The current Legacy is a true midsize car with mandatory CVT. Apples and oranges come to mind. They are both fruits, yes, but... :)

And here I'm considering going from my Legacy Spec.B to an SS. :)

Get an STI and another trunk lid to get rid of the wing. Immediately takes the flashiness right down to a manageable level.

I love my SS but I just cant bring my self to drive it in the winter. If I lived in florida it would be the perfect daily.

I would drive a new WRX before you spend money on a STI.

I'm 62y/o, I can't see not DD a manual tranny. They are just to much fun. If traffic on the highway on the drive home is bad, I take back roads = fun.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I test drove the WRX before and like the STI much more. The wrx felt numb to me in comparison and would rather just get the legacy vs the WRX. Plus I am not a big fan of direct injection yet or the power delivery of the FA motor.

I'm waaay too old for a wing. Swapping the trunk is easy. I posted on the swap thread and had several offers in a couple of days. The swap itself is easy-peasy.

The STI is fun everyday. I DD it to work, I road trip it...I carry rental floor sanders in it.... Way too much fun to not drive it every day.

I'd say if you value comfort at all, go with the 3.6R. I drove a '16 STI in and around oklahoma city and the concrete-expansion joint-filled roads felt like the front end had no struts and you felt it right in the kidneys.

That being said I'd buy the STI and love it forever, lol.

I'd say if you value comfort at all, go with the 3.6R. I drove a '16 STI in and around oklahoma city and the concrete-expansion joint-filled roads felt like the front end had no struts and you felt it right in the kidneys.

That being said I'd buy the STI and love it forever, lol.

I still have to test drive an STI on the concrete highway I take to work. Once the dealer close to that area gets one in stock. That is large consideration since I take that road everyday and it could get old fast if its really bumpy and annoying.

It would be easy enough to tone down the STI and I have seen plenty that look subtle enough for the older crowd. I think you are answering your own question, no other subie provides all the goodies the STI does. Some taller sidewalls could easily take out the bumpiness of the stock suspension.

At this point I wouldn't buy any CVT vehicle, the value just isn't there IMO.

If you are concerned about the boy-racer giant spoiler on the STi, if you get the limited, you have the option of a low profile trunk spoiler.

One thing to remember, if you are getting this as a year round car, you'll need another set of wheels/tires for the STi as it comes with summer tires on it (or change out the summer tires for high performance all seasons - that would also help a little with the stiff suspension feel in the STi as they'll have a softer sidewall than the summers it comes with)

Just think with the the STi you have half the engine and only slightly better MPG rating maybe worse depending on driving style:lol:

I love the 15+ STi and I would buy one in Lapis Blue Pearl with the hyper silver BBS wheels in a minute if i wasn't on the "buy a house" kick. I too would go with the low profile deck lid, the whale tail is cool and all until it isn't. The 6th gens look excellent but no MT.

SS is nice i test drove one in 2016 along with a WRX and a 16 Legacy. I bought another 4th gen LGT to hold me over ;)

If you are concerned about the boy-racer giant spoiler on the STi, if you get the limited, you have the option of a low profile trunk spoiler.

One thing to remember, if you are getting this as a year round car, you'll need another set of wheels/tires for the STi as it comes with summer tires on it (or change out the summer tires for high performance all seasons - that would also help a little with the stiff suspension feel in the STi as they'll have a softer sidewall than the summers it comes with)

Yes, the plan was to get a spare set of wheels with winter tires.

Archived