LegacyGT.com

Will Subaru be replacing the 3.6 engine anytime soon?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No one knows for sure, and there certainly hasn't been any official word from Subaru, but it has been widely speculated that 2019 will be the last model year for the 3.6 H6, likely to be replaced in the MY 2020 Legacy and Outback by some variant of the new 2.4 turbo H4 first introduced in the 2019 Ascent.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

No one knows for sure, and there certainly hasn't been any official word from Subaru, but it has been widely speculated that 2019 will be the last model year for the 3.6 H6, likely to be replaced in the MY 2020 Legacy and Outback by some variant of the new 2.4 turbo H4 first introduced in the 2019 Ascent.

That would be sweet

This is what the parts guy at my local deals in also said. However it's only speculation on his end as well.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

If there is a 2020 Legacy. With the low sales totals and killing of sedan models by many car manufacturers I don't think there is any guarantee that the Legacy will continue. In fact, at present, it probably has the worst resale value % of any Subaru as no body wants a sedan anymore except small ones like the Impreza.

Hmm. I keep hearing that sedans are on the way out but I'm sure seeing a lot of new Accords and Camrys on the road and I'm told that Subaru is selling Legacy sedans as fast as they can make them. I'll be surprised to see the model disappear any time soon.

I want to buy a newer 3.6 legacy but I don’t want to buy it if in a year they come out with a turbo or something. Has there been any rumors or anything?

As other posters have mentioned, speculation abounds. It sounds like you and I are at opposite ends of the speculation stakes :) I'm personally hoping that the 3.6lt stays and there is no turbos. I just have nagging doubts about both turbos and direct injection. I'm certainly not confident that my "wishes" will come true, but I did take some small hope from the local release here of the 2019 Forester. I know we are not comparing apples to apples, but the fact that Subaru have dropped the turbo from the Forester here, got me a little bit excited (only a little bit admittedly) for the future of the Legacy. Although at the same time they did add direct injection, so that dampened the enthusiasm.

The article states

" ... And, so, with a limited development pot and a decision to focus on hybrid and electrification going forward a global decision was taken to drop the turbocharged Forester. At the local launch, Practical Motoring asked the visiting engineers whether the 2.4-litre turbocharged four-cylinder from the US-only Ascent could be fitted to the Forester and the response was a simple, “no, it’s not possible”.

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-reviews/2019-subaru-forester-review/

I think they will discontinue the 3.6, in favor of the 2.0 liter DIT found in the Forester XT and WRX (a turbo engine with about the same power output as the current 3.6)

Do I think it will be tuned as aggressively as the WRX? No.

Do I think they would put a larger engine (2.4 DIT) in the Legacy than in the WRX? No.

I think they will discontinue the 3.6, in favor of the 2.0 liter DIT found in the Forester XT and WRX (a turbo engine with about the same power output as the current 3.6)

Do I think they would put a larger engine (2.4 DIT) in the Legacy than in the WRX? No.

Say it isn't so Ethel :eek:

When I bought my 2019 3.6R Outback a couple weeks ago the dealer told me that 2019 build year will be the last of the 3.6R, and they will switch to the global platform that will include a new line-up of motors, including a turbo for the Legacy and Outback.

When I bought my 2019 3.6R Outback a couple weeks ago the dealer told me that 2019 build year will be the last of the 3.6R, and they will switch to the global platform that will include a new line-up of motors, including a turbo for the Legacy and Outback.

BUGGER !!! :mad:

Don't tell me I have to buy one of those ugly V6, non turbo, port and direct injection combo Camrys if I want to upgrade in 2020 :spin:

If there is a 2020 Legacy. With the low sales totals and killing of sedan models by many car manufacturers I don't think there is any guarantee that the Legacy will continue. In fact, at present, it probably has the worst resale value % of any Subaru as no body wants a sedan anymore except small ones like the Impreza.

I would like to see your source for the low resale claim because where I live, they hold resale value just as well as any other Subaru...

I don't know about that. When I turned my lease in they said the PNW and CO area the Legacy sells above book value; and the dealer was sending mine to sell in CO. I think you might be right in the southeast region of the US where AWD is not necessary, but the Legacy does sell quite well here in KY. They don't hang around dealer lots, both new and used.

This is my guess (and hope).

Kill off the FXT (hopefully only temporarily) and offer an FA20DIT-powered Legacy GT, tuned similarly to the WRX. Bit of a pipe dream, I know.

Slightly more realistically, I feel that there will be no LGT, but they'll instead offer an actual Sport model, with very few upgrades, except for an FA20DIT, tuned similarly to the outgoing FXT. I'd be OK with this.

//

RE: Mid-sized Sedans

I'm a fan now that I'm in my 30's. I still desire a WRX/STI, but, in the end, would be much happier with an FA20DIT-powered Legacy Sport. Insurance premiums would likely make it even more livable.

Even if we eventually buy something as large as the Pilot or Ascent for the wife and kids, and for road trips, I'll still likely be wanting a mid-sized sedan as my DD. I probably wouldn't be able to justify a higher-trim Legacy while we have something like that, but it's a possibility.

If money were no object, I'd love to have an Ascent AND a future Legacy GT/Sport in my garage, however unlikely that is.

I'll simply hope for a lower-cost 1.6DIT-powered Legacy to come out, instead. I doubt Cobb would put out any sort of AP support for a 1.6DIT, but I feel as if I'd be overall more satisfied with a 175-200HP 1.6DIT, instead of the current FB25.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

Subaru will move to lower displacement turbocharged engines just like everyone else in the class. Normally aspirated 6 cylinder engines can't compete and are disappearing. That the 3.6R is still with us, for now at least, is a testament to the solid design of the engine. I don't really care if it disappears as long as its replacement offers improvements in performance and fuel economy.

I don't really care if [the 3.6 H6] disappears as long as its replacement offers improvements in performance and fuel economy.

I will miss the smooth power delivery only available from an engine with near-perfect balance and overlapping power strokes (i.e. 6 or more cylinders)

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I will miss the smooth power delivery only available from an engine with near-perfect balance and overlapping power strokes (i.e. 6 or more cylinders)

Have you driven any of the new FA20DIT-powered vehicles, with the twin-scroll turbo? I'm not saying it's 6-cylinder-like, but it's a heckuva lot more linear than my previous EJ turbos, which would accelerate like: nothing....nothing...3k RPM...kinda something --> nope --> nothing...3.7K RPM AND LAUNCH!!!!

'15 FB25

Have you driven any of the new FA20DIT-powered vehicles, with the twin-scroll turbo?

I think you misunderstood. I was talking about smoothness of power delivery, not linearity or absolute output.

spacer.png

I think you misunderstood. I was talking about smoothness of power delivery, not linearity or absolute output.

I guess I see smoothness with respect to power deliver and linearity not to be mutually exclusive to me (e.g., not peaky or laggy at speed like an EJ). I think we're saying the same thing, and your having driven an FA20DIT-powered Subie before will also clarify the difference.

I'm not saying the FA20DIT is off-the-line similar to any 6-cylinder I have driven before, but I am saying that it's not so much less smooth that I would consider it inherently inferior in power deliver to an H6. It's just...different. I always understood the straight-six to be inherently the best-balanced engine, anyway. I haven't driven one recently and can't recall what the Jeep I drove felt like back in 2005...besides slow :p

'15 FB25

If Subaru offers a more powerful engine option for the next Legacy, I think I would prefer the FA24DIT.

While I have not driven the FA20DIT, I can say the FA24DIT is much more linear than

the old turbo EJ25 when I had my 05 Legacy GT. I also find the power delivery to be the same as my 08 Tribeca and 13 Legacy, both with 3.6R and 5EATs.*

*Disclaimer, the Ascent is my wife car and I have only driven it a handful of times. And it only has about ~300 miles so I have not really pushed the engine yet.

Archived