LegacyGT.com

Cylinder 4 Cooling Mod. Have you seen this done?

Hi everyone,

There is a tuner out of Washington State that has come up with a mod that reduces/balances the cooling load so that cylinder 4 temperatures drop by almost 80*F. Here is a link to the mod he has created.

http://shop.getadomtune.com/shop.getadomtune.com/cylinder-4-chamber-cooling-system-gd-gc-lgt-up-to-07/

It makes total sense that this would work, but I would like to hear from the experts on this board before I proceed with adding it.

So yes I do agree it is expensive at $93, what isn't for our cars. Since he did the work I would buy from him to save my time more than anything. If I do I will post details once installed. Here is an image of the balanced cooling.

CoolingModEGTs__30473.1533290766.thumb.png.af30171fe3e0ace79a983c8aa9b31ed7.png

I picked one up, pretty much on a whim while ordering other things for a build. Very much a 'huh, seems like a sound idea, sure why not' type purchase. While I'll have no way to quantify any benefit, it looks like he's done some further proof of concept with the EGT readings. Seems reasonable? :confused:

I should have it in my hands tomorrow, hopefully on a running engine within a month.

For $100, as long as there are no adverse effects, it seems like it does help. What will this do to the cooling system long term?

I cant imagine any adverse effects on the cooling system, long or short term. Its plumbed in to the return line of the heater core, and just functions as another return circuit path for increased coolant flow in and out of the head. More coolant moving = more heat routed to the radiator.

The question I have about it is - it says it's only up to 07, and that the 08-09's have the issue addressed. So are there fewer ringland issues/blown motors with the 08+ motors out there?

In other words, let's assume it works - great. But is this the primary cause of failures in Subaru motors? I understand that det is, but there are so many factors that cause det in these motors. Another big one I've heard over the years has been the series fuel rails. And then there's obviously the tune and age of wearable items like injectors that might not be in the best condition after 10 years... I trust Dom, he's been around and has proven himself in the Subaru community, so I don't doubt that the product does what it says it does. But at this point, with a 10+ year old car, our injectors probably have an average of 100K on them, our coolant hoses and passages are corroded and have sediment in there, etc. If that's the only thing you're doing, wouldn't it be like trying to bail the water out of the Titanic? In my opinion, it would be worth picking up to address a potential design flaw if you were dropping in a new motor with new fuel and cooling systems, but maybe not the highest priority for a car with age and miles on it.

Archived