LegacyGT.com

Legacy snow tires – storage?

My 2008 Legacy Limited’s build doesn’t allow for the use of chains (not sure if this is the same for all 4th generation Legacys?). I called Les Schwab and asked if they had storage for swapping out snow to all-season tires, and they told me it’s company policy that none of their locations do this.

What do other posters here do for storage if you live in an apartment…store at a friend’s house, change for top of the line all-seasons, etc? Right now I’m currently utilizing some lower-end all seasons. I used them once in the snow last year, and while they handled at a decent level, it was only on about an inch of fresh/new snow, with no slush/ice anywhere.

Thanks.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/fa/fa3489e400559cdfaa625d36fb3136d065e4058b429dc3660111a26f35ecd197.jpg

do you honestly believe that you cant put snow tires on your car, or that a tire reseller will store your tires for you?

why dont you just rent a storage space somewhere to keep your stuff.

sounds like you should look into a storage facility, thats what a lot of guys who live in apartments do to hold stuff when they just dont have space to spare. seems like a simple problem, and even the best all season tire won't outperform the least expensive snow tire. if you live in a major city and don't travel much outside the city limits, performance snows should work. If you like to travel outside the city at all during the winter - get a studless winter tire. not the best handling on dry but crazy good traction in the snow and slush compared to an all season.

If you really don't have any space to spare, I concur with the suggestion to just rent a storage space.

When I was in an apartment, I just stored the seasonal wheels/tires inside. When they're all stacked, they don't really take up all that much space.

I live in a small (500 sq ft) apartment but fortunately I have basement storage for my bike and car stuff. Options to consider if you don't have this are: using bed risers to elevate your bed and store them flat underneath. They sell these in many places and with varying lift heights. You could also stack them in a corner and throw something over them to hide. I always had a garage to work out of, but when I went out on my own I just wash the wheels in my tub and make do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in an apartment. My second set of wheels/tires goes in a stack either in the closet or in my little storage locker in my apartment building. You could probably keep them outside if you had to. That's where they'll end up anyway.

I feel like Discount tire will store your wheels and tires for you off season but it obviously costs money. No one would do that for free of course unless it was friends or family.

You could definitely store wheels outside, but after months of sitting they'd likely be filthy with dirt, cobwebs, and creatures etc. If I had to store them outside I'd get those tire bags/covers just for less hassle.

Even in the basement I stack them on top of each other and block the uppermost wheel opening just to keep the spokes and inside of the wheels from accumulating junk as much as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS

I have these as my all seasons before I switch to my snow tires they last about 30k miles. Before i got dedicated snow tires these worked well for me.

Ideas for storage would be to put them at a family member or friend house. Depending how dedicated you are to your decor.. you can make a coffee table or end tables out of them and some plywood or glass or plexiglass top. Then swap out as needed after you clean them.

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/tire-table/

Archived