LegacyGT.com

Head Gasket Problem 2008 legacy

Welcome to the forum.

I clicked on this because I have an '09 LGT that's been stage 3 for around 25,000 miles. I have 65,000 miles on it. I'm interested to find out more about your issue.

Is your car stock? Is it a turbo'd engine? Did you buy it new or used? How did you find the leak? I know you're new here, but the more you can tell us, the better we'll be able to help.

Tits mcgee

It's not that uncommon for a 4th gen LGT to have a blown head gasket at around the 100k mile mark. Yours seem to come a little earlier than others. Most dealers will do the work between $700 - $1,000, depending on what else needs replacing. If you can do it yourself it would cost between $250 - $600, depending on if you have the heads rebuilt.
My wife's balls are delicious.

I dunno. So far, with one post and very little information, this is closer to a rumor than anything else. And maybe it's a troll, trying to cast Subaru in a negative light?

Does this say anything about Subaru quality?

...queue the ominous music.

Tits mcgee

Welcome to the forum.

I clicked on this because I have an '09 LGT that's been stage 3 for around 25,000 miles. I have 65,000 miles on it. I'm interested to find out more about your issue.

Is your car stock? Is it a turbo'd engine? Did you buy it new or used? How did you find the leak? I know you're new here, but the more you can tell us, the better we'll be able to help.

Bought new, regular engine 2.5? I found stains on the driveway and pooling of oil & coolant on engine block. My mechanic cleaned the engine block and were waiting to see if "pooling" leaks reoccur to pinpoint source. Also another sign was very rough high idle when starting car in the morning that stops as soon as you step on the gas peddle. My mechanic will not do the job and NJ dealer quotes $2100 to 2400 (2 day job) if it must be "milled" this price includes timing belt replacement.

I dunno. So far, with one post and very little information, this is closer to a rumor than anything else. And maybe it's a troll, trying to cast Subaru in a negative light?

...queue the ominous music.

Why would I "cast Subaru in a negative light" what's in it for me? I also just bought a 2015 Subaru Forester (no problems so far) which I'm delighted with. But google, check Subaru burning oil issues for free unbiased negative press.

My 2008 legacy has a head gasket leak at 85,000 miles. How common is this? What will repairs cost? Does this say anything about Subaru quality?

I never had this problem before on any other cars previously owned.:mad:

Anyone have any experience will head gasket sealant?

Anyone have any experience will head gasket sealant?

Are you talking about the miracle in a bottle that mixes with coolant or oil? I personally would not do that.

Boxer engines are more prone to head gasket leaks because of the architecture of the motor. I have seen some reports of 4th Gen Legacy 2.5i with head gasket leaks. I would guess that the rough running motor is not because of a blown head gasket (leaking from the combustion chamber to oil or coolant), but anything is possible. The head gasket leaks are an inconvenience but I would fix it.

It would serve everyone best not to get all spun up. Given the lack of information and the poor placement, I was having a little fun with the OP's first-ever post. If you don't think it's justified, meh... go stand outside and look into the sky for all the flying fcks I don't give.

So now we know it's a NA motor we're dealing with... that's a good start. It's probably worth fixing. You've owned it since new and put 85,000 miles on it. You're as appropriate a reference on Subaru quality as most any other owner. You liked it enough to buy a '15 Forester, so... there's that.

Good luck with your fix.

Tits mcgee

A Phase 2 EJ25 head gasket leak "should be" external only. If you want to fix it, fine, but unless you are starting to see a severe drop in coolant or oil, I would ride it out until that point. If you really want to fix it to prevent a failure, then you should find a local Subaru specialty shop, and avoid the dealer. wayyyy overpriced. For example, here in VT I know of a great shop that would do the timing, head gaskets and head resurfacing for right around $1500 (which includes a new OEM timing set and water pump). shop around, and monitor your car's vitals. This is by no means an emergency.

On a side note, if your car is mixing oil and coolant inside the engine (milky oil or oil inside radiator or overflow resevoir), or blowing coolant out the overflow resevoir, stop driving and get your head gaskets replaced.

If you feel uncomfortable with any of the above, ignore my advice, and bring it in to get fixed. I'm not a mechanic, but an experienced hobbyist.

Thanks for your opinion. After having the engine cleaned and monitoring it, no future leaks (so far, 2 days). Maybe a sloppy oil change left oil on engine block that pooled and dripped. (Leaks from head gasket should be from top down). thanks for your advice again.

Leaks from your head gaskets will be most noticeable under the car. Be careful not to mistaken this for valve covers leaking, which are a much easier affair and are further outboard of the engine. I noticed mine leaking a little bit while changing oil beginning around 50k and changed them this year with 80k prior to any overheating or further issues. Mine were never fully leaking per say, they were dribbling a bit.

I had an independent Subaru shop change them and do the timing belt as well (my car is a 2007 2.5i with low miles, so really it was time) I also had every seal in the engine replaced that I could think of including rear main seal, spark plug tube seals, valve cover gaskets, thermostat, water pump. Came to about $2200. I would certainly go this route to be safe. I had them put in Six Star headgaskets which are a 3 layer stainless design with a special coating that are now used by many dealers as well. Any questions don't hesitate to PM me.

Andy

Sept 5th.

After a couple of days oil is back on the block pooling.

Also the power steering fluid in the resavoir does not go higher than cool engine level after a long drive and the wheel is a little difficult to turn.

Have brought car into dealer to look at, tired of local mechanics not identifying problem.

Crank case cover leak?

A headgasket leak, valve cover leak, or oil pan leak will not pool on the top of the motor, it is physically impossible since all of those parts are on the sides or bottom of the motor. I think it is more likely you have an oil pressure sensor leak or power steering leak. And I am skeptical of the pressure sensor being on the top of the motor, but cant recall on the N/A motor how it is set up.

headgaskets when they do leak, generally leak from the bottom of the head right under the two cylinders because that is how the oil drains back to the pan. As was stated this is more of a weeping than leaking. Also cam seals are known to leak from the back of the head.

In this day and age head gaskets shouldn't be blowing in my opinion.. If the 2016 Legacy I ordered blows a head gasket I will too! If the engine is all aluminum this shouldn't be happening as everything expands and contracts at same rate.. Is the 2010 all aluminum? Blowing head gaskets is totally unacceptable! My 08 Sentra now has 158,000 miles and all it has needed was new front brake pads and rotor at 105K (they weren't even squealing yet) and new front struts at 134K. Other than that just oil changes, tires etc.. This is how it should be..

The engine is mostly aluminum, but the cylinder sleeves are still steel. Blowing a headgasket implies leaking compression from the cylinder, which rarely happens, it is more likely the gasket will weep oil or coolant for a few years before anything serious happens like someone never checking the coolant and running the engine too hot.

If you think it shouldn't happen in this day and age you need an education on all things mechanical and acceptable failure rates. It is a machine it can fail. This is not solely a subaru problem either, start digging and you can find failures in any make/model.

The engine is mostly aluminum, but the cylinder sleeves are still steel. Blowing a headgasket implies leaking compression from the cylinder, which rarely happens, it is more likely the gasket will weep oil or coolant for a few years before anything serious happens like someone never checking the coolant and running the engine too hot.

If you think it shouldn't happen in this day and age you need an education on all things mechanical and acceptable failure rates. It is a machine it can fail. This is not solely a subaru problem either, start digging and you can find failures in any make/model.

This was more of a problem with cast iron blocks and aluminum cylinder heads due to aluminum moving much more than cast iron which is relatively stable. Pretty much all aluminum engines have steel sleeves or flame spray applied to the cylinder walls. Today's engines are commonly made with aluminum to reduce weight and I would think to reduce blown head gaskets. Hoping that this is pretty rare with Subaru's..

Ray

Sept 5th.

After a couple of days oil is back on the block pooling.

Also the power steering fluid in the resavoir does not go higher than cool engine level after a long drive and the wheel is a little difficult to turn.

Have brought car into dealer to look at, tired of local mechanics not identifying problem.

Subaru dealer just called and I am told I have a head gasket leak at 85,000 miles. May have to "mill" head. No power steering problem.

Archived