LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

Where's that at Humble?

AutoBahn Country Club in Joliet, IL, specifically on the North Course, for Subaru Speedo Expo 2018. Are you on Chitown Subarus group on Facebook (or on Facebook at all)? They host a ton of events, most of which you're really not too far away to participate in.

@dgoodhue. What's the details? The solid white and the seafoam green color are my faves.

It is a 2009 Automatic 2.5i Special Edition SWP with Ivory Cloth. The special edition had heated seats, HK radio, rear LSD, fogs lights. It is clean inside and out with 113k miles and runs and drive good. It had the timing belt and head gasket done with OEM Subaru parts at 111k miles. Last owner was a woman and the Carfax shows regular maintenance at Subaru dealership. It has new tires and brakes, but the tires are cheap and I will likely replace them this winter with some snows.

My preference would have been Newport Blue/Quartz Silver or the solid Quartz Silver with 5MT SE, but this was clean and the up to date maintenance and new headgaskets sold me. 3.0R would have been nice, but the ones for sale were higher miles than I wanted (175k+) or they were super low miles (60-70k) and a lot more than I wanted to spend. On the day I was deciding on whether or not to buy this OB, I inquired about XT with similar miles and motor done ~40k miles ago, but then I decided that I really don't need 10+ year old turbo Subaru.

I wasn't sure I was going to like the auto or not, but for a number of reasons I decide to try to give it test drive. This is the 1st one I looked at it. It is not as 'quick' of the line as my 5th Gen 2.5i 6MT, but once going it felt similar to my 2.5i 6MT.

C'mon man. Really? That is not true ("nothing you do after the Wastegate is going to affect what it can physically flow").

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the design philosophy behind a divorced downpipe is good science (e.g., basically, turbulence over the WG exit will decrease flow therefrom so divorcing the WG and combining later when the airflows are more laminar will increase flow). That is obviously what they were going for. Unfortunately, it appears that zero engineering and little-to-zero testing went into their design, much like the majority of aftermarket crap we throw on our cars.

You have to understand my answer is within the context of the 5th gen, not any other car. Our wastegate is perfectly sized for stock applications. Anything above that and you will start to notice it. If you intend to go farther than the exhaust housing on the vf54 will allow then my suggestion is get with a shop and have a vband welded onto the stock manifold or try to get a hold of one of the few aftermarket pieces available before they are gone and go about your merry modding. Stock parts have limitations and it isn't hard to reach the limit of the stock turbo with our low mount setup.

AutoBahn Country Club in Joliet, IL, specifically on the North Course, for Subaru Speedo Expo 2018. Are you on Chitown Subarus group on Facebook (or on Facebook at all)? They host a ton of events, most of which you're really not too far away to participate in.
Where's the pic of you in a Speedo driving your Subaru?

I'm not on Facebook... I waste enough time everywhere else in life.:)

Does AutoBhan CC have a website and list the Subaru events?

Got a handful more trackside pictures of my car from Subaru Speed Expo. Hoping for some trackside videos to surface, and I've still gotta pull my own in car vids. Can tell the Koni's set to full hard are doing a nice job of keeping the car flat. :)

qlHQ7a7.jpg

p4iLz3K.jpg

aoY6rVl.jpg

mqBSFCn.jpg

MDWXxkm.jpg

aT4gF0S.jpg

PJWAn6J.jpg

eRLBopH.jpg

Be careful on track with 19" wheels and low profile sidewalls, they are less forgiving at the traction threshold and tend to give up their grip with much more immediacy than a tire with more sidewall.

You car looks good on track Corey!

Edited by GTEASER

I really don't care for the look of 17's on our cars, even with a wide wheel. It's gonna be a while before I can afford new wheels/tires anyways, but I'm toying with 255/40 on 18x9 (GTeaser's fitment) or 265/40 on 18x9.5, which might be pushing it on what I can fit comfortably. Found some pretty decent options for lightweight wheels in those sizes so far.

I really don't care for the look of 17's on our cars, even with a wide wheel. It's gonna be a while before I can afford new wheels/tires anyways, but I'm toying with 255/40 on 18x9 (GTeaser's fitment) or 265/40 on 18x9.5, which might be pushing it on what I can fit comfortably. Found some pretty decent options for lightweight wheels in those sizes so far.

Or you can run my porky 245/40's on my 18X8's, wide enough and meaty...

Don't you still have the stock 17s?

^That's both smaller and thinner than what I'm currently running, that would be a downgrade. My stock 17s are my winters.
You forgot lighter....that would be an upgrade. Plus stickier tire for another upgrade.Plus smaller tires closing the gear ratio gap between gears to make acceleration faster....another plus.

Wife wants a remote starter for the winter on the Legacy also to help control the vehicle cabin temperature for our son.

Need to start calling up Subaru for pricing. I refuse to have any cut wires in this vehicle. Since this is a plug and play unit minus the ECU programing.

You forgot lighter....that would be an upgrade. Plus stickier tire for another upgrade.Plus smaller tires closing the gear ratio gap between gears to make acceleration faster....another plus.

The set up I'm leaning towards most are 12 lbs lighter per wheel I'm wearing now, with smaller diameter than my current wheels/tires, and a larger contact patch by roughly an inch. Also planning on doing a stickier tire than what I'm wearing lol. 18x8 would be bit lighter, sure, but would be a reduction in contact patch over what I have now and what I'm looking at getting.

The set up I'm leaning towards most are 12 lbs lighter per wheel I'm wearing now, with smaller diameter than my current wheels/tires, and a larger contact patch by roughly an inch. Also planning on doing a stickier tire than what I'm wearing lol. 18x8 would be bit lighter, sure, but would be a reduction in contact patch over what I have now and what I'm looking at getting.

Are you really going to push your car to the limits of the tires?