LegacyGT.com

2019 Subaru Ascent Mid-sized SUV - True 3-row vehicle

SBT

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was at the Philly Auto show on Wednesday, got to sit in the new Ascent. Felt about the same as sitting in a Forester, but with more room and the newer infotainment system from the Legacy & Outback. There wasn't any specific info listed like power or fuel mileage.

40023974861_b42583e1ab_b.jpgSubaru Ascent by Stan Kumiega III, on Flickr

My favorite vehicle of the show was the Volvo XC 60, about the same size as a Forester with a nicer interior. Starts at 42K, more affordable than the V90 wagon (2nd fav car) which starts at 55K with AWD.

39126229165_02e0e46e4f_b.jpgVolvo XC60 by Stan Kumiega III, on Flickr

39992504212_1622a1641b_b.jpgVolvo V90 wagon by Stan Kumiega III, on Flickr

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Thing is, Subaru could bring Legacy Wagon back to market in no time should they decide to do so, the have the body with Outback and they have suspension from Legacy sedan.

But that will not happen.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Do you actually like the latest look of the legacy/outback? I hate to say it but most recent subaru models just don't look that good to me. Even the WRX. Sometime I look at it, and I kinna like it. But then I look at it again and I don't :spin:.

Of course, all this is subjective.

BP Legacy 05-07 was the last of the USDM Legacy Wagon, though it continued as CDM model until 2008 or 2009, likely due to contract agreements with SOC.

SOA apparently determined that it was impinging on sales (and taking-up production capacity) for the BP Outback models which were selling at record rates. No subsequent USDM/CDM Legacy-specific wagon models are available. ROW is enjoying every version of the 4th, 5th and 6th Gen Legacy wagons :lol::spin:

I believe the Ascent will be a homerun in the first inning, that it will dilute the demand for a wagon or a shooting brake, and go on to win many more innings as a mid-sized SUV.

I've reconciled myself to the fact that my 1 of 61 LGTW may likely be my last performance Subaru wagon. Still a great car, and there's nothing else like it in its class; I can still hope that Subaru will once again bring a performance Legacy Wagon to the table.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

stanjk3

How was the slide-in height, and seat positioning, comfort and general footwell room?

How were the sight-lines? Any apparent blind spots?

Did it feel like a vehicle that you could easily travel long distances with relative ease?

How was the reach/access to the infotainment/dash and general layout?

See the one that you photo'd was a touring model. Did they have an 8-passenger version there as well?

Inquiring minds and all :)

I believe the Ascent will be a homerun in the first inning, that it will dilute the demand for a wagon or a shooting brake, and go on to win many more innings as a mid-sized SUV.

I agree, as long as the engine stays reliable! Or else....

I've reconciled myself to the fact that my 1 of 61 LGTW may likely be my last performance Subaru wagon. Still a great car, and there's nothing else like it in its class; I can still hope that Subaru will once again bring a performance Legacy Wagon to the table.

+1000. That's why I'll probably be keeping mine for a very long time!

The legacy wagon never sold well, and neither has any other car height wagon. The lifted wagons seems to be where the sales are at.

Which is weird since everyone always talks about wanting a wagon (I personally prefer sedans). But with that said, I am part of the statistic for having a lifted wagon, I love the Outback's room and height (but I go offroading and drive in snow).

There are German wagons that are similar power output, but sadly none of them come close to Japanese reliability.

Now I feel bad for scrap metaling an 05 LGT wagon. Body was mostly good, maybe I should have fixed it and sold it :lol:

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

I’ll be going in 2 weeks armed with my camera and tape measure. Let me know what specific things you want to see. For now, my list is:

• Gas cap
  • Engine bay
  • Cargo area with measured dimensions
  • Bucket seats layout/comfort
  • Glove box
  • Sun roof
  • Brakes (front and rear)
  • Any special buttons/modes
  • Windshield wiper J-hooks
  • Pics of adults sitting in 2nd and 3rd rows, with driver's seat adjusted for adult as well

Edited by Adoniram

I’ll be going in 2 weeks armed with my camera and tape measure. Let me know what specific things you want to see. For now, my list is:

• Gas cap
  • Engine bay
  • Glove box
  • Sun roof

Take as many pictures of the engine please!

stanjk3

How was the slide-in height, and seat positioning, comfort and general footwell room?

How were the sight-lines? Any apparent blind spots?

Did it feel like a vehicle that you could easily travel long distances with relative ease?

How was the reach/access to the infotainment/dash and general layout?

See the one that you photo'd was a touring model. Did they have an 8-passenger version there as well?

Inquiring minds and all :)

I sat in a Forester XT Touring right after sitting in the Ascent, as I said before it feels pretty much the same. Ascent is a little wider, and of course longer to fit the 3rd row of seats. The console between the seats is up higher compared to a Forester.

Next 2 questions: Can't really answer that after only sitting in it for a minute or two.

As with most cars at the show, there's no way to turn on the stereo/infotainment system. Looked like the same system used in the Legacy & Outback. Didn't take any pics of the interior but the design was mostly the same as an Outback.

The rear seats do slide to access the 3rd row, but I didn't try to sit in them. IIRC it seats 7 not 8. There looked to be a decent amount of foot room, but probably not enough if you're tall. There wasn't a placard or tablet showing information about the vehicle, so don't know which trim it was.

I didn't look under the hood.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

The Ascent is 8-passenger, while the Ascent Premium is 7- or 8-passenger

Ascent 8-passenger is only available with Slate Black cloth, while Ascent Premium offers a choice of Slate Black or Warm Ivory cloth depending on vehicle color choice

The Ascent Limited and Touring models are 7-passenger only, with Slate Black or Warm Ivory leather seating depending on color in the Limited, and Java Brown leather the only seating choice in the Touring version.

Right on. Again, I don't like the idea of not being able to get the bench for the second row in the upper trims. I would have liked customization. This is kind of like the Touring Outback trims that force you into 4 exterior and 1 interior color choice. Pricing out an Outback for curiosity, I found that it'll cost me the more or less the same after I add my options from the Limited (to get a preferred color and the normal roof racks & rails) compared to the Touring. No steering wheel warmer though! :/

That's correct. I was providing from embedded memory on the Limited/Touring. No Cost option bench.

And parenthetically, I was standing next to a VW Atlas yesterday and was surprised how compact it looked versus what the Ascent looks like, in height/width/length, at least in pictures. The Atlas was the VR6 version. Sounded noisy.

I positioned the drivers seat for me then sat in the 2nd row. I had plenty of room.

I'm 5'11'' with a 32'' inseam. My son sat in the 3rd row and thought it had as much room as our Flex 3rd row.

The variable is the 2rd row slides, so I honestly don't remember where the 2nd row seat was.

• Gas cap
  • Engine bay
  • Glove box
  • Sun roof

Hi Adoniram

I know this will sound silly, but can you also check to see if the J-hooks on the windshield wiper arms are the same width.

I ask because my Tribeca's driver side wiper was not a standard size, the J-hook is much wider and will not fit any wiper blade at a typical auto parts store. Its weird, because the passenger size can accommodate a standard wiper blade. The driver side is stuck with wiper refills, which most stores no longer carry.

Thanks