LegacyGT.com

6th Gen Legacy Wheel Thread

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if we're on the same page.. would it would work to order a 19x8.5 +50 rim and get a 245/40r19 tire? I don't have a lot of knowledge on tire/rim specs into this much detail so if this is a terrible question my apologies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This website is the bomb when it comes to figuring out what sizes will be best.

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator

Plug in the tire sizes and it gives the % difference in diameter.

Oh and this tool is amazing for checking clearances, it tells you exactly how much closer you'll be to the suspension and wheelwells. It's not completely necessary to take measurements and plug in the correct clearances, I use it more to see how much farther in/out they'll sit and then check on the car to see if the room is there.

http://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

Here's 245/40R19 compared to stock. 1/2% difference in size is barely anything, and 8.5 is in the middle of the rim width range so you're good there as well.

IMG_0460.thumb.PNG.746a00df63fcbe0db7d8e293f1d3e04c.PNG

Edited by andrew_l_s

Hello all, Ok here we go I have yet another question. I was talking to a guy (not in a dark ally) about some rims and tires from a lexus Is something or whatever and he said he wanted to sell me his staggered (nice) rims for $500 I quickly said yes (then that taste came in my mouth of what did I just do to myself) then realized I know nothing about fitting rims and may have just shot myself. All I know is they are the same bolt pattern BUT does that mean I can use them and will it have a negative effect on my baby? HELP!!

Generally a staggered offset is not good for an AWD car. The problem comes when you have mismatched tire sizes/diameters on front/back as you'll end up destroying your centre differential.

This is the same issue as when you have to replace one tire when the others are worn. The new tire will be larger diameter and you'll end up wearing out your differential.

It is possible to match the tire diameters, however when running different size tires this becomes difficult thing to achieve in reality. Plus then you have to be concerned about varying wear rates over the life... and it becomes a total nightmare.

Easiest solution is just to run the same rim/tire size on an AWD car.

Generally a staggered offset is not good for an AWD car. The problem comes when you have mismatched tire sizes/diameters on front/back as you'll end up destroying your centre differential.

This is the same issue as when you have to replace one tire when the others are worn. The new tire will be larger diameter and you'll end up wearing out your differential.

It is possible to match the tire diameters, however when running different size tires this becomes difficult thing to achieve in reality. Plus then you have to be concerned about varying wear rates over the life... and it becomes a total nightmare.

Easiest solution is just to run the same rim/tire size on an AWD car.

Seriously Thank You, I was feeling so bad both for myself and that the seller would get a last minute back out from me. I am sure he will understand. I can't thank you enough!

So I'm looking to get some wheels for the spring and summer but I'm debating now on size, 18", 19" or 20".

I'm in Northern NJ and there are pot holes. Should I just get the 20", be careful and accept the ride comfort it will have? I will also lower the car about 1 inch.

I know it's mostly my personal preference on what to choose but why are most people not going to 20"?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170102/76ddcbfb72796c29789f944431ab2c06.png

This person is on IG and told me his are 20" and fenders are rolled.

Edited by MrCobbs

If I was to get wheels again , I'd probably go 19". These will run 40 profile tires which still look good and have that little bit more give compared to 20's with a 35 profile tire.

Though the 20's do look good...

One other thing to consider is availability/cost of tires. The lower profile you go the more performance oriented the tires and generally higher cost also.

If I was to get wheels again , I'd probably go 19". These will run 40 profile tires which still look good and have that little bit more give compared to 20's with a 35 profile tire.

Though the 20's do look good...

One other thing to consider is availability/cost of tires. The lower profile you go the more performance oriented the tires and generally higher cost also.

Thanks, I would really like 20" but I may settle for 19". Just need to stop my installer from insisting on 20".

So I'm looking to get some wheels for the spring and summer but I'm debating now on size, 18", 19" or 20".

I'm in Northern NJ and there are pot holes. Should I just get the 20", be careful and accept the ride comfort it will have? I will also lower the car about 1 inch.

I know it's mostly my personal preference on what to choose but why are most people not going to 20"?

Your sitting nice as it is, why go lower and bigger? I'm originally from Parsippany and I know your roads pretty good so after plows, salt, and 18 wheelers the roads can get pretty bad and the repairs to them can take forever. Just my opinion I would leave as is.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Your sitting nice as it is, why go lower and bigger? I'm originally from Parsippany and I know your roads pretty good so after plows, salt, and 18 wheelers the roads can get pretty bad and the repairs to them can take forever. Just my opinion I would leave as is.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That's not my car, that's an example of someone with 20" rims. I currently have the stock 17" wheels that are...you know.

Also I would only use the wheels during the spring and summer when NJ is supposed to have the potholes legally fixed.

that looks nice. ride quality will be harsh with low profile tires and lowering springs though. BUT, it looks bad@ss.

Hello all, Ok here we go I have yet another question. I was talking to a guy (not in a dark ally) about some rims and tires from a lexus Is something or whatever and he said he wanted to sell me his staggered (nice) rims for $500 I quickly said yes (then that taste came in my mouth of what did I just do to myself) then realized I know nothing about fitting rims and may have just shot myself. All I know is they are the same bolt pattern BUT does that mean I can use them and will it have a negative effect on my baby? HELP!!

So....you were in a alley with a dude, you said yes, then got a taste in your mouth. You were new and this and now you're worried about your baby. Did I get that right?

:lol:

I'd never run 20's on this car. I nice 18" setup would be ideal. There is a good article that discusses the trade offs as you move to +1, +2, +3 setups. In general, the wheel & tire combo gets heavier and the performance gains are negligible. Acceleration suffers and with the stock suspension on these cars, you won't be doing anything good moving to 19 or 20.

Also, when wheel shopping I always look at the weight and then the styles available. Unsprung weight is the enemy, especially if you have the 2.5.

Edit: ignore the above if you're only after looks. ;-)

Edited by hoppyjr

That's not my car, that's an example of someone with 20" rims. I currently have the stock 17" wheels that are...you know.

Also I would only use the wheels during the spring and summer when NJ is supposed to have the potholes legally fixed.

Definitely go with a 19" you can use either a 40 or 45 series depending on width of tire, but that extra side wall helps absorb rough roads.. Thats one of the reasons I stayed with 19"..[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

So....you were in a alley with a dude, you said yes, then got a taste in your mouth. You were new and this and now you're worried about your baby. Did I get that right?

:lol:

Lol, i should have seen that coming. very poor choice of words lol

Definitely go with a 19" you can use either a 40 or 45 series depending on width of tire, but that extra side wall helps absorb rough roads.. Thats one of the reasons I stayed with 19"..[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm thinking about doing just going 19.

To the weight comment above, I already calculated some rims that would be about 4lbs heavier than the stock set up for each wheel.

20's on a 6th gen is in my opinion, a good looking wheel.

Considering the new STI will have 19"s, why shouldn't the Legacy be ok with 20" wheels. The car is astronomically bigger than previous gens, and even 19"s look decent on a 4th gen, which is a very small car in proportion to the 4th gen.