LegacyGT.com

FYI: was repeatedly told that there is a new "pending recall" for my Legacy...

Due to an issue that I have with our Legacy (will post separately) - I have called two dealers over the last few days.

As a general check if there are any outstanding recalls on the car that they do, they both told me that there is a pending recall on my car, related to Takata airbag (unclear if passenger or driver) - and they both said that this likely means a recall campaign was not yet made public but it is coming.

Did anyone else hear about this?

I am personally hoping it is related to passenger airbag, so when they work on that, I can ask them to replace all of the airflow blend actuators (at least two of them are making noise by now on my car).

I have already had previous Takata recalls done. But for example for my 2005 Honda Accord, Takata recalls were done twice.

Your car will have a Takata recall on the passenger air bag if it hasn't already been done. Subaru has been doing them by region. I am kind of surprise that they haven't finished them up by now for 2011's. One of my 2012 was recalled 2 years ago (MA car), the other was 3 years ago (CA car)

Your car will have a Takata recall on the passenger air bag if it hasn't already been done. Subaru has been doing them by region. I am kind of surprise that they haven't finished them up by now for 2011's. One of my 2012 was recalled 2 years ago (MA car), the other was 3 years ago (CA car)

There is a recall of the first recall, if that makes sense, some airbags were replaced with stop-gap airbags with the old inflator. So they will need to be replaced again. And don't be surprised the recall isn't complete the participation rate of owners is astonishingly low.

There is a recall of the first recall, if that makes sense, some airbags were replaced with stop-gap airbags with the old inflator. So they will need to be replaced again. And don't be surprised the recall isn't complete the participation rate of owners is astonishingly low.

:eek::spin:

giphy.gif

That's exactly what happened with my 2005 Accord, and I was wondering if it is abut to happen with the Leqacy also.

There was a second recall on an already recalled (and replaced) part. Both the driver and passenger airbags in that 2005 Accord were replaced twice, therefore.

If I log into my Subaru site, I see no outstanding recalls for the car; this seems to be something new.

There were two airbags used for recalls, if yours was done with the correct airbag you are good and likely wont hear anything. Good thing is everything is documented so Subaru knows which airbag was put in which vehicles.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You've got to be ******* kidding me :mad:

^^^This.

Makes me feel good about never wasting time getting it done before. :rolleyes:

We had the Takata airbag recall on both of our Legacys back in March of last year and had them done at that time..... Just before Christmas we got another pair of "Airbag" recall notices that seemed kind of familiar...Hmmmm? I called the dealership to check if it was indeed a new recall or just the same one again.

They replied that it was the same one and they had sent them out again just in case we had not done them....apparently resent all of the airbag recalls as a reminder.

Seems like it might have been easier to simply check their records. ;)

Edited by Scooby Fan

Update from today:

Subaru seems to be in the place now where the dealership has the parts and they do not want to let the car go until the recall was completed.

I still do not see any outstanding recalls for my car. I still did not get any mailings for it. But today, I met my wife at the dealership to demonstrate a different issue. Once they saw that other issue, they said that they now have the parts for the yet unannounced (and second) recall of the passenger air bag, and that they will keep the car until that is performed.

I have talked to the service advisor that I want the air blend door actuators replaced at the same time because of the annoying and almost constant clickety-clack noise at least one of them makes when driving and when the car is turned off. So they will be looking at that also.

But yeah - the new recall seems to be real. I guess it depends on how early your original Takata airbag recall was done (I had it done as soon as possible when it originally happened a few years ago).

https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/outback-recall-for-airbags-just-saw-at-consumer-reports.517958/#post-5923467

Short version: In the execution of the earlier phases of the first WQR53 recall campaign, Takata supplied replacement airbags to the automakers for a while that were a like-for-like replacement - they had the old, problematic propellant in them. They didn't tell anyone initially until it was discovered in a congressional inquiry in June 2015. Surprisingly, even then everyone was allowed to use up the supply they had in stock, at which point they switched recalls over to the proper propellant.

Thus, the number of vehicles that will have to be done again is pretty significant. They initially divided into three zones on the initial WQR53 recall, i.e.

Zone A states and territories have a 6-9 year degradation estimate of the propellant and are highest priority for getting replacements: Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, Peurto Rico, Samoa, Guam, Saipan, US Virgin Islands

Zone B states and territories have a 10-15 year degradation estimate and are second priority: Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, DC, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia

Zone C states and territories have a 15-20 year degradation estimate and are third priority: Alaska, Colorado, Connecticut, Idaho, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming

I'm in zone C, and I still will have to do it all over again this year.

For WQR53 recall, look at your paperwork given to you on the first round to determine if you will need to do it again:

part number 98279AG05A does not contain non-desiccated ammonium nitrate and will not require replacement.

part number 98279AG00A does contain it, and will be recalled again

My car had the recall done in April of 2019, and when they put in the replacement airbag it was 98279AJ06A. So is mine good?

Had mine done in April as well - same part number (98279AJ06A, RC AIR BAG M)

Looking here:

https://subaru.oemdtc.com/1139/tkb-19-passenger-frontal-air-bag-inflator-may-explode-2010-2014-subaru

the part should be 98279AJ06A for the air bag module. At some point, they were able to get just the inflator, but that part is now just listed as no longer available - maybe that's what part number 98279AG05A is?

Looking here:

https://subaru.oemdtc.com/1139/tkb-19-passenger-frontal-air-bag-inflator-may-explode-2010-2014-subaru

the part should be 98279AJ06A for the air bag module. At some point, they were able to get just the inflator, but that part is now just listed as no longer available - maybe that's what part number 98279AG05A is?

This is what it says on my receipt... I've got no clue if this replacement is the good or bad assembly. Gonna hope it's the good one :confused:

20200115_191045_resized.thumb.jpg.f4c0d6063f3cb8936b968e77393390ee.jpg

My receipt, from yesterday (when this was redone on my car) shows that the following was used in the recall:

98279AJ06A

I found a good link that also indicates this part (98279AJ06A) is the 'final replacement part':

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2018/RCMN-18V013-5979.pdf

Takata part number 98279AJ02A has been superseded by part number 98279AJ06A as a recall

replacement part for the 2010-2013 Legacy/Outback.

Edited by bigboy292000