LegacyGT.com

Remote Start Options, 07 spec.B

Dbl_D718

Considering getting remote start before winter gets here, but I know very little about it. I've read lots of material and it seems that getting remote start in a Subaru, especially a manual, is a pain? Subaru's factory system can't be installed in a manual car, correct?

I'm kind of a stereo guru; have done lots of complicated installs...but I'll probably have a pro install the remote start since I know so little about them. I'd like to pick the system and bring it to him to install though, so I'm looking for advice on what to get.

Seems like standard features include locking the doors and disabling power windows. I would really like to have the rear and mirror defrosters come on automatically too. I also don't want another remote fob on my key chain, so I'd prefer a system that I can operate with my factory remote (by pressing both the lock/unlock buttons together) or possibly a new remote that can also operate my factory keyless entry.

Any advice or anyone steering me in the right direction is appreciated.

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

Most of them could technically be installed on a manual car, but there's laws around it. Most shops won't touch it due to liability. There was a shop here in St. Louis that did them, and had a little device that attached to the shifter, but they stopped doing car audio entirely about 3-4 years ago.

To do it right, you'd need to find one that's designed for a manual and has some sort of lockout for neutral. There are quite a few available, but again, most shops aren't going to touch it for you.

The real catch is, I'm not sure how remote starters & the immobilizer play together. That's probably the "big catch".

Most companies make manual safe remote starts now, but like others said some installers won't touch it due to liability. idatalink now makes a immobilizer bypass for subaru cars so you won't need to give up a key!

I have a compustar on my 5 speed. Best investment.

07+ Subaru will require you to sacrafice a key. There currently isn't a box out there yet to mimic Subaru's keys.

The way my remort start works:

The only way to engage the remote start is when you exit the car, the car has to be in neutral.

When you walk out of the car and shut the doors, it stays running for 10 sec. The doors will lock, car arms and the car will shut down. This way the car knows that it was in neutral. How can you get out of a running car in gear? You can't.

If someone happens to open any of the doors to the car. The system resets back to default.

You'll have to start the car, turn it off, walk out, shut the doors, let the engine idle for 10secs and then it'll let you remote start the car.

The compustar alarm also lets you use the key fob just like the factory remote. Except there is no holding it for 2secs.

It also has the optional droid plat form so you can start your car, unlock/lock your car, trace your car by google maps to a pinpoint accuracy all by your phone or the internet from your computer.

OK I've seen the iDatalink before and that seems like a nice system and it gets good reviews. I think I'm going to pursue an iDatalink system since it looks like their remote starters offer all of the features I want. But...I honestly don't understand a lot of it lol.

So the Klon system is to bypass the need for a key, but it's just an add-on to their other systems, right? Says it will work with the ADS-Blade AL and the ADS-AL CA. I take it those systems are the remote starters? The feature list for both of them seems almost exactly the same and they're the same price...what's the difference between them?

I've read about the system's where you get out of the car while it's running to "arm" it, but I'd like to avoid having to do that if possible. There are lots of times were I don't get right out of my car without getting back in.

Thanks for the help so far.

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

• 2 weeks later...

i have a Python that sounds basically the same as what kongzilla described. it's pretty dumb to get the remote starter 'armed' and, while it is very handy to have, there are probably better ways. there are a couple shops (including Best Buy) in my area that will professionally install these on manuals, btw.

my recommendation is to find someone who has experience with these -- maybe in the local forums here. see if they will install it as an automatic transmission, and rig some sort of sensor to detect when it's in neutral. this sensor would take the place of the signal that normally would come from the transmission being in park. then you wouldn't have to do anything special to arm the starter.

I've got a compustar like Kong - have had it for a couple of years. It required sacrificing a key - but it's pretty useful. It requires "setting" the system (parking brake engaged, car in neutral, and leave the engine running) in order to set it up for the remote start.

I've found that my Subaru factory remotes don't work on certain military installations where I live - but the compustar remote does. So, that's helpful.

I think the best advice is get a system built for a manual - and don't look to try and rig a system set up for an automatic.

Finally, I don't like clutter on my keychain - so I dropped a couple of bucks and bought the brick on a stick - integrated key and remote from the 08 years and after. The dealership wasn't sure if it would work, but I read these forums and was confident it would. And, it did.

I have to second what Deadzep said, take a remote start for an automatic and have that installed and then set the rest of the system up for your manual car.

I have not done this on a Legacy, but I did install a Viper remote start this way on a WRX. I placed a toggle switch under the dash that was connected to the switch for the clutch pedal. When the switch was on it would simulate the clutch being pressed in, but I could flip it off and the car would not start because the clutch was not pushed in. I also connected my neutral safety wire to this switch, so if the switch was off the remote start portion of the alarm would not work.

My thought was that typically the car would only be in 1st or reverse if it was left in gear. So using radio back straps (I worked at a car audio shop so I had lots of these) and an aftermarket hood pin I placed it so that if the car was in first gear the pin was pushed in. I had to use a relay for this and I forgot how it was wired, but I had to have it so that with the pin on the gear shifter pushed in it acted the same as the actual hood pin not pushed in. This way the car would not start.

Then I used the backup lights and the break lights to also keep it from starting. With the normal remote start when you push your break pedal it turns the system off. The backup light supplied the same 12 volt signal so the car wouldn't start if it was in reverse.

I used it for years until I sold the car and never had any issues.

It really boils down to what you are comfortable with, but it can be done.:)

Archived