LegacyGT.com

Total noob looking for advice about upgrading to a big android head unit system

Hey all,

First post! Hi.

I recently purchased a 2010 Subaru Liberty Wagon (the 2.5i premium sat nav variant) here in Australia, and I freaking love it.

However, the stock premium McIntosh DVD/Sat Nav system that is in the car feels very dated, so I'm looking at my options for totally replacing it with something a bit more modern.

In my google searches, I came across this 2017 post from here on legacygt forums, and that system looks like EXACTLY the kind of thing I want.

But it's a few years old now, and I'm not sure what my best current options are.

Complicating things; I'm a total noob when it comes to this stuff and have no idea what's involved. Ideally I just want to buy whatever components/gear I need, then take it to a reputable local car audio shop and have them install it all.

Everyone here on these forums seems friendly and knowledgeable, so I'm hoping ya'll will help me out with some tips and guidance :)

Thanks in advance!

I have a friend who upgraded to Tesla style headunit, and I purchased his old headunit from him(it's fujitsu my13). The main point is - purchase Tesla style headunit ONLY in case of good local support and aftersales warranty. Chinese headunit manufacturers made a huge step forward compared to their older buggy slow devices they started from and as my friend told - it has many features, works fast, no bugs and he likes it a lot, but you still may face with defects with it. At least - I've heard he had some issues during installation (he paid company for installation as well), which were fixed by company which sold the device.

Please note, there may be many similar looking units from various Chinese manufacturers with different specifications.

Please also note, my friend old device did not have a separate oem amplifier but your McIntosh has it, so please ensure it contains amp wiring also.

Some highlights of his installation:

How it looks inside:

DAAAAgO4XuA-960.jpg

Switched on:

UYAAAgO4XuA-960.jpg

Tesla and Fujitsu compared:

mIAAAgO4XuA-960.jpg

Headunit device:

OIAAAgO4XuA-960.jpg

Rear side:

eIAAAgO4XuA-960.jpg

Car without headunit:

gYAAAgO4XuA-960.jpg

Tesla connected (see it has plug n play wiring for his car):

QYAAAgO4XuA-960.jpg

My personal opinion: I don't like aggressive interior changes with Chinese devices, which did not exist during car release years as it looks as air suspension integration to village cart. Yes, it adds some functionality (especially modern navigation apps with recent maps) but it changes the interior look significantly and I don't like it. But it's not your case, if you are looking at it as McIntosh replacement. Another point is how this unit processes sound - but for stock speaker setup it (most probably) does not make sense.

Thanks Brunzo - I love the look of your friend's system and that's exactly what I'm wanting to do to mine.

The complication is, as you pointed out, finding a way to make it compatible with the McIntosh amplifier system.

I checked some ads on Aliexpress - it will not be a direct replacement for your car. These devices are based on 4 channel audio chip and have 2 pairs of RCA outputs (ie front + rear pairs). so there is NO subwoofer output.

Your amp, IMHO, same with the same round connector as Mcintosh subarus

But Tesla is lacking subwoofer pair.

You will face with 2 issues:

1. Tesla RCA output cable is not same with Mcintosh AMP cable - will have to solder RCA female to Amp conversion cable.

2. Absence of subwoofer RCA output - this can be solved with pairing one of RCA outputs (most probably rear) to subwoofer input, in this case the subwoofer section becomes a part of rear speakers and cannot be controlled separately.

Both tasks should be easy job for audio installation shops.

And another option:

If you are going to sell your Mcintosh, better sell it as set with the amp and speakers (as these are 8 ohm), you can ask more money for it and use it to setup a custom sound (you will need new wiring from headunit to to the amp place), etc

is that steering wheel with the si controls standard? my 2010 br9 doesn't have those controls

His car is my14, facelift. Si controls moved to steering wheel for eudm models.

I posted on this forum how to install facelift steering wheel. I think i would integrate si drive satellite switch to old steering wheel if wanted to. Its not that hard.

Edited by Brunzo