LegacyGT.com

snow+donuts+low speed+high rpm= fun+stinky cabin..why??

Why cabin stinks after playing in deep snow with high rpm+low speed+possibly donuts  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Why cabin stinks after playing in deep snow with high rpm+low speed+possibly donuts

• Clutch slipping
    • Diffs getting hot
    • Clutch slipping + hot diffs
    • power steering pump

ok ok, I think I already know the answer but I am NOT 100% sure yet. I did search through the forum and there was no clear official reason as to explain the result of my equation...

So far, I can understand why the smell would come from the diffs. But can it also come from the clutch? If so, why since the latter is indeed engaged? Is it because that sucker is slipping even though it is engaged? That'd mean that the engine is too strong for it??

This happened to me last weekend. I was not doing donuts though. I was just going straight, about 20 mph, on a snowy messy and bumpy dirt road which had a foot of snow. So I was kinna gunning it in first gear (I think) and staying around 4-5000 rpms to keep momentum. And then it started to stink when I went to a stop. I thought it was our lovely clutch smell..but could have been diffs though---can't tell the difference in smell.

Anyway, looking forward to hear the official reasons to the result of my equation :lol:.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Mega Users
Snow and donuts will not usually make your clutch slip. There is very little torque on the clutch since the surface is slippery. If you have a slipping clutch, then test it in 3rd gear. You will make a lot more torque in 3rd at peak torque on a dry road. If it is the clutch, then it must be severely worn out to slip in 1st gear in snow. As for the smell...probably something else...maybe it is the diff.

thanks for your feedback. so you vote YES for diffs, NO for clutch. Though now I do recall the same kinna clutch smell when I was also playing with my previous 99 outback in the snow a year ago. The clutch was new and rpms were high and donuts amount was high :rolleyes:. Still smelled after playing hard.

I am interested to hear lots of opinion. Maybe I should create a poll..

I smelt the same thing when I was doing donuts in the snow. no way it was the clutch slipping- minimal traction in the snow (I've been at a dry track several times since then and if my clutch was weak, I would have found out then). I chalked it up to the diff... That is not based on anything scientific. The last time I changed my diff fluid it was prestine- that made me feel a lot better and I'll be sure to do some more donuts then next time i find a snowy parking lot

• Mega Users
Interesting...if it was diff, it would be at least varnishing the oil. It wouldn't be clear. Too bad I don't have any snow here or I'd test it out and see if my auto does it. Maybe if I find a grass field after it rains.

when doing donuts DO NOT hold the power steering at full lock!!! it keeps trying to work and you'll cook it!

Seen too many people do it who don't understand how power steering works.

This^^^^^^, I've also heard of some rear diff failures doing snownuts.

Why has noone mentioned tires?

Tires still stink even when doing donuts in the snow. (snownuts?)

Happens to me every year when I play in the snow. The tires break through to the pavement a little bit when spinning and cause the stench.

he said dirt road. I vote diffs getting hot

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I had a bad smell after some snownuts last year...4EAT, completely covered parking lot (never broke through to the tarmac, there was also hardpack of snow/ice under the powder), nothing leaking thru the p/s (checked it after because I thought it was this)...so where does it point? Center clutch? Diff? Interesting to think that you could get the clutch to slip though for a manual...let us know what you find.

Diffs dont smell. they are closed units. its either tires or clutch and both have very different and unique smells.

That would be incorrect. They are both open to atmosphere...notice the small breather at the top of the trans and the breather (little plastic thing) on top of the rear diff cover.

I do agree that a clutch and gear oil smell nothing alike though!!:lol:

Archived