LegacyGT.com

6th Gen Lighting Threads

Took longer to type this question than to change the bulb. Pop off the clear cover of the light and pull bulb out

Usually there is an obvious gap between parts where you can insert a plastic wedge to pry things off. If there was, I would have. There is probably a .005" gap between the clear lens and the part that surrounds it. Did you just cram something between the parts and start prying? I really don't want to break something.

I had the dome light off, that came off easy.

Edited by Bill G.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put these in when you do. Diode Dynamics make quality lights. I have replaced all my lights with their bulbs.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/map-light-leds-for-2003-2019-subaru-legacy-pair.html

Those are listed as 31mm long. The '19 I have took a 30mm for the dome light. A 31mm would not fit. Did Subaru change the bulb for the '19 models?

• 1 month later...
Usually there is an obvious gap between parts where you can insert a plastic wedge to pry things off. If there was, I would have. There is probably a .005" gap between the clear lens and the part that surrounds it. Did you just cram something between the parts and start prying? I really don't want to break something.

I had the dome light off, that came off easy.

Yes just cram a panel popper tool (the smallest you have)

Yes just cram a panel popper tool (the smallest you have)

I guess nobody understands what the reading/map lights near the rearview mirror are like on a '19 3.6R. The lenses are kind of hinged and you push down on one side to turn the lights on/off. I can't pry the lens our because they are hinged on one side, and I can guarantee you that something will break even if I could get a tool in there. I did get part of the housing off (where the sunroof switches are) but that doesn't help to get to the bulbs.

I guess nobody understands what the reading/map lights near the rearview mirror are like on a '19 3.6R. The lenses are kind of hinged and you push down on one side to turn the lights on/off. I can't pry the lens our because they are hinged on one side, and I can guarantee you that something will break even if I could get a tool in there. I did get part of the housing off (where the sunroof switches are) but that doesn't help to get to the bulbs.

I dunno man. The manual makes it sound simple. They should pry open with a tool or screwdriver. This is right from the manual for a 19 Legacy..

https://joom.ag/7dGY/p456

I dunno man. The manual makes it sound simple. They should pry open with a tool or screwdriver. This is right from the manual for a 19 Legacy..

https://joom.ag/7dGY/p456

Thanks for that reply. Too bad Subaru doesn't say which edge, or provide a diagram. I think I'll wait until someone else here has actually tried it! Also, it's too bad that know-it-alls like "Da Roo" can't actually post anything useful...

Edited by Bill G.

I was able to pop the lens off the map lights. The lens itself are not hinged. Use a small prying tool to the side facing the rear of the car not on the side facing the doors. There is a YouTube video showing how to remove the lens.

Has anyone figured out how to change the bulbs in the map lights? '19 3.6R with moonroof/Eyesight. All the owners manual says is that the bulbs might be hot, so see the dealer!

I could be wrong but don’t the instructions that ‘2015 Tungsten’ provided (at 11-48) only give a caution for the Map lights & no instructions how to remove them.

I think you remove the Map light globes from the top, not from the bottom.

The reason I say this is because I have a 2019 Outback 3.6R (almost the same inside as your 2019 Legacy 3.6R) & couple of days ago I removed the Eyesight cameras cover which includes the map lights to run the GPS cable for my dashcam. The door was open when I did this, therefore the map lights were on, & I can remember seeing the inside of the map lights from the inside top of the Eyesight cover. I didn’t take much notice of the Map lights but I wouldn’t mind betting you could remove the globes from the top.

I used the instructions ‘Longhorn’ on subaruoutback.org kindly provided in the topic ‘Viofo A129 Dual Dash Cam Install (2015 Outback)’ to remove the Eyesight cover.

See: https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-2019/511121-viofo-a129-dual-dash-cam-install-2015-outback.html

There is also some info provided in the legacygt.com topic ‘Overhead Eyesight Cover Removal’ here:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/overhead-eyesight-cover-removal-260747.html?t=260747&highlight=eyesight+cover+removal

In addition to what is mentioned in the above topics I found the following:

• Work with clean hands to prevent the hood lining from being marked.
  • Be careful not to touch the Eyesight camera lenses.
  • The cover was very tight to remove.
  • I used two plastic pry tools to allow my fingers to get under the sides of the cover.
  • I started from about the middle of the sides & pulled one side down a fraction before the other.
  • When the clips at the centre at the sides released there was a loud crack & I thought I had broken something, but I hadn’t, it was just the two large clips releasing.
  • When the clips at the sides & back have been released, push the cover slightly forward towards the windscreen to allow the small plastic ‘hooks’ moulded into the front edge of the cover to release.
  • Support the cover when removed, the wires inside are fairly small & could be broken or pulled out of a plug/socket.
  • Replacing the cover is easy but don’t forget those tiny ‘hooks’ at the front.

Please let us know how you go.

I was able to pop the lens off the map lights. The lens itself are not hinged. Use a small prying tool to the side facing the rear of the car not on the side facing the doors. ...

That sounds a lot easier than my suggested method. :)

I was able to pop the lens off the map lights. The lens itself are not hinged. Use a small prying tool to the side facing the rear of the car not on the side facing the doors. There is a YouTube video showing how to remove the lens.

^This is what I remember doing when I replaced my map lights.

Thanks to everyone. Somehow I never thought of checking YouTube! This one covers it!

YouTube is always a great source! Does this video work with your map lights? This is pretty much how I removed and replaced my lights. When you said your '19 map lights were hinged, I imagined them popping out on one side only and then be still attached somehow on the other side.

YouTube is always a great source! Does this video work with your map lights? This is pretty much how I removed and replaced my lights. When you said your '19 map lights were hinged, I imagined them popping out on one side only and then be still attached somehow on the other side.

It looks like mine are about the same as shown in the video. Will check this out for sure within a few days, and let you know. I'm all tied up with my other project... getting the summer cruise "hot rod: ('69 Dodge Dart GTS) running a little better.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Just got the Diode Dynamics low beam LED SL1 bulb and let me tell you does it light up the road now! Love the change from the factory bulbs.

I just did the same recently and I completely agree as I do a lot of night driving. I didn't want to be "that guy" with the annoying LED lights that blind everyone so I made sure to check the height and light pattern. I did notice that I had to aim the lights quite a bit higher after switching from the stock bulbs. Following the Subaru procedure for aiming headlights, the LED bulbs aimed about 4 inches lower than the stock bulbs. Adjusting them upward to the correct height further improved the output as expected. The lights almost give you the light distance of high beams while keeping the beam pattern low and focused so that you aren't blinding anyone.

I would completely agree. I kind of am lucky that I work at the dealership so I just have the guys in the back put them in and make sure they are aimed correctly! Glad you are enjoying the Purchase!

You found that you needed more light output than the LEDs that come on our specific trim? Do they really work better?

No I did not have the moonroof package that comes with the LED Lights so I just had the regular standard bulb in there so very happy with the switch!

Oh! Gotcha gotcha. I DO appreciate my set up and glad yours is working out :)

I tried the SL1 LEDs in my '19 Legacy and did not like them. The light seemed to be all over the place except straight ahead where I needed it. I ended up with a set of HIDs similar to what I had on a '10 Camry I used to own.

HIDs have a few drawbacks including a somewhat limited life span and the warm-up time, but at least I can see better than the factory halogens.

Most of the issue I had with the HIDs in my 2016 were the lamps. Lights vanished in the rain. Reflectors in my lights are best with proper lamps. LED lights ARE different.

Lighting Mods

Low Beams: D4S - OSRAM XENARC 66440 CBI HID BULBS

Highbeam/DRL: 9005 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 9005NBUHCB BULBS

Fog: H11 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 64211NBU-01B BULBS

Subaru 20mm RSB

• 3 weeks later...