LegacyGT.com

05 LGT 5spd EJ257 Type RA Build

Update!

Nothing exciting. I installed my new oil cooler and new coolant elbow hoses that go to the oil cooler.

DbAhFHIl.jpg

qQEkyqAl.jpg

Since my rear timing belt covers are brand new I figured I'd get new front covers as well. I originally tried to piece together a used set but they weren't in the best of shape. I ended up painting the center timing cover with interior flat mat paint and I just didn't think it would last. So, I decided just to pull the trigger on a new front set to match the rear covers.

ixTvlYrl.jpg

mUKQGqMl.jpg

8kBkVLVl.jpg

4baL1hSl.jpg

I'm going to try to install the exhaust manifold, up-pipe, and new turbo this weekend. I think I might get side tracked installing the rest of my black interior on the LGT. Either way the exhaust and turbo portions are next for the engine.

Remember to test fit the tmic before you drop the engine in. Takes a couple minutes and at least you know it should mate up easy when the time comes.

That is if your still running the OEM style tmic.

Engine does look nice.

Oh, BTW, this was my 25,000th post.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Remember to test fit the tmic before you drop the engine in. Takes a couple minutes and at least you know it should mate up easy when the time comes.

That is if your still running the OEM style tmic.

Engine does look nice.

Oh, BTW, this was my 25,000th post.

I'll make sure to test fit my grimmspeed tmic before I drop it. Thank you for the suggestion.

Thanks for the comment on the engine. It's almost there! I just need my new injectors so I can slap on the intake manifold. Clutch after that and the engine can go back into the car. I think I might just sand down my engine bay this weekend. Maybe I can paint the engine bay this weekend, if not it'll be the next. A fresh engine bay is sounding super appealing to me right now lol.

Oh, BTW, 25,000 post....sounds like a post hog hahaha jk. Honestly, I always see you and mostly everyone on here post constructive and helpful information. So, thank you for always helping!

Oh, if you have the GS tmic it will fit great.

I have two of them. One on each car.

It's taken me over 16 years to get that post #. I have learned a lot from here.

If you get a chance click on my "click here link" in my sig. good pictures in there, I have reposted some of the pic' at the end.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Oh, if you have the GS tmic it will fit great.

I have two of them. One on each car.

It's taken me over 16 years to get that post #. I have learned a lot from here.

If you get a chance click on my "click here link" in my sig. good pictures in there, I have reposted some of the pic' at the end.

16 years is a long time. I'm glad to that the GS tmic will be a good fit. So far being on here I've learned a lot. Honestly, I'm glad I just dove into putting the engine together myself. I'll make sure to take a look at your pics.

I am guessing you placed that oil filter to avoid debris getting into the oil cooler? Just reminding to keep the filter off when priming the engine. I think you know that already.

Yes sir! I'm trying to get the engine sort of sealed off. Thank you for mentioning that I will need to remove the oil filter when I prime the engine. I think I missed that part. I'll make sure to follow your instructions once I'm at that point.

Oh, another tip for putting the engine back in, It took me a short while to realize I had to "jack up the back of the car" to help the tranny input shaft go into the Pilot bearing.

Oh, another tip for putting the engine back in, It took me a short while to realize I had to "jack up the back of the car" to help the tranny input shaft go into the Pilot bearing.

Well good to know. I didn't realize I had to do that. Thanks for the tip!

I am guessing you placed that oil filter to avoid debris getting into the oil cooler? Just reminding to keep the filter off when priming the engine. I think you know that already.

I'll add that the filter is left off only long enough for oil to pour out where the filter resides then put back on, crank again and you should build oil pressure pretty quickly.

Well today I decided to hit up my local summit racing. I bought everything to remote locate my prosport oil pressure gauge sending unit. I was trying to do the same thing I did with my 240sx. I was thinking of buying the ProSport Remote Oil Pressure Sender Install Kit but I just didn't like the oil pressure line they use. While at summit racing I picked up -4AN 20 inch black coated stainless steel line, a female 1/8 NPT to male -4AN adapter, and a male 1/8 NPT to male -4AN adapter. I already ordered my male 1/8 BSPT to female 1/8 NPT adapter from amazon, but I should have thought and just bought everything from summit racing. Either way I think this black line is going to blend in great with the rest of the engine.

27A5XQzl.jpg

hLTuQDhl.jpg

Update

This isn't really an engine update but it's more of a car update. I finally finished switching my interior to black. I'm using the front and rear seat belts from a newer legacy. I hope I don't run into and airbag issues. Everything plugged back in like the original tan ones. All of the airbag connectors all plugged back into the newer ones. Only extra connector I had was an extra connector that's on the loop hole that bolts to the 2005 Legacy passenger seat. I ended up bolting that part to the body instead. I'm just glad I got the interior done, I hated the tan interior. Hopefully soon I'll have this car running! Well on to the pics!

How the interior looked before I switched out door panels. In this pic you can see the black carpet I switched to. I didn't have a pic of how dirty the tan carpet looked. My OCD couldn't leave that dirty carpet in the car. I got lucky that I found a legacy with black carpet at my local pick n pull. The two pics in the section shows how the interior sat for a while. Tan interior with black carpet and black seats.

Z699Rlnl.jpg

3VCnoUOl.jpg

Sul2iqul.jpg

SLuyByal.jpg

Then I picked up the rest of my black interior and JDM double din conversion:

sJtDbRgl.jpg

PZSmjGel.jpg

rSULJASl.jpg

HWox2w0l.jpg

OPU4Dx1l.jpg

8vGKJUnl.jpg

vv3Y9F5l.jpg

1DNuMJdl.jpg

SqWpwPWl.jpg

xhwuBDol.jpg

1lIZEXol.jpg

554GvzEl.jpg

Edited by k00laid83

is your taupe driver seat good looking?

i need one if you are planning to peddle it?

I still have all of the original tan interior except all of the seats. When I bought the car the guy who sold it to me switched out all of the tan seats to the black leather seats. If you need anything else please let me know. I can for sure ship things out as long as the buyer pays for shipping.

Hi Everyone,

I was doing a bit of research and I know this is going to be a touchy subject. I'm wondering what everyone thinks is the best motor oil. I was running Rotella in my engine before it took a dump on me. I've been doing a lot of research and I've heard some great reviews on the Amazon's Full Synthetic and Costco's Kirkland Full Synthetic. I know everyone is going to say you get what you pay for but I'm just wondering everyone's thoughts. I was thinking once I had my engine fully broken in I'd switch to Mobil 1 full synthetic. I watched a few videos where the Amazon brand was pretty much on par with Mobil 1. Just wondering what everyone thinks.

Amazon vs Mobil 1:

Costco's Kirkland Full Synthetic:

Edited by k00laid83

Small Update:

I picked up a new to me 2012 sti dome light and 2012 sti map light in black. As well as a 2015 sti sunvisors in black. Can't wait to get rid of the two tone tan interior. I'll be doing my headliner in black and using SEM landau black interior paint for all of the plastics. Should really make the car stand out. I'm going down madrig's and BagRidersJohn's foot steps. I should have the dome light later on in the week. I'm planning on doing madrig's map light air bag indicator mod.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/darker-side-legacy-black-upper-trim-262063.html

R9ZIi7Al.jpg

TecA1CEl.jpg

PTsNBCcl.jpg

BagRidersJohn's sunvisor mod:

p7KcY8M.jpg

madrig's airbag indicator mod:

attachment.php?attachmentid=249101&d=1494471353

• 3 weeks later...
I haven't tried it in this exact application but, I have really good results taking a heat gun to plastic components to refresh their appearance. It does wonders for scratched composite decking which is how I got started heatgunning things.

I haven't tried it in this exact application but, I have really good results taking a heat gun to plastic components to refresh their appearance. It does wonders for scratched composite decking which is how I got started heatgunning things.

Well I have spare timing covers maybe I can try a heat gun to them.

Well I have spare timing covers maybe I can try a heat gun to them.

Also, this might work. Azek decking had an issue with fading and they sent out a product called DeckMax. It re-catalysized the material restoring the color. I want to try this on plastic parts. I am about to order some and see if it works. It'll melt plastic if left on too long so...