LegacyGT.com

Clutch options for 08 spec b

I was wondering about replacing my clutch with an sti clutch. Do I need to have an sti flywheel because I have heard mixed stories saying some spec b models do not need an sti flywheel. I want to get the Exedy OEM replacement kit for the spec b FJK1002, but if the sti option is available I would rather do that.

-Do I absolutely need an sti flywheel to use a sti clutch?

-Any other clutch kit options recommended?

Thanks

I was wondering about replacing my clutch with an sti clutch. Do I need to have an sti flywheel because I have heard mixed stories saying some spec b models do not need an sti flywheel. I want to get the Exedy OEM replacement kit for the spec b FJK1002, but if the sti option is available I would rather do that.

-Do I absolutely need an sti flywheel to use a sti clutch?

-Any other clutch kit options recommended?

Thanks

What makes you think the STi is better?

Depending on which coast your on.

East, PM underdog, or email Mike from www.AZPinstalls.com

West, PM m sprank

Tell them what car you have and what you think you want to do. Then buy what they recommend, you'll get the correct part the first time.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

STI clutch because the spec.B has a STI tranny would be the obvious reason to get a STI clutch :lol:

Yes, you need to get a STI flywheel if you get a STI clutch. The spec.B is smaller in mass, I think they weigh about the same(however I sort of suspect the STI is lighter but havent confirmed that).

You have a lot more options if you go with a STI clutch and flywheel. Plus its stronger and can hold more power.

I went with the Competition Clutch Stage 3 dual friction. I have 400 miles on it so far, still breaking it in. WOW that clutch is 100% different than stock, and made it feel like a whole new car. Pedal is far stiffer, id say at least 2-3 times stiffer than OEM. Feathering this clutch is a PAIN, slowly reversing it tricky and very slow starts are hard as well. if you do a lot of DD in stop and go you may want to get the stage 2 instead(im talking like over a half hour or more in stop and go traffic). Not noisy, or stinky(like some people say the CC stage 2 is) only time I smelled mine is when I really was riding and not engaging it like I should. the stage 3 is boarderline too much for a DD car, you have to try a lot more. However, I love the clutch and its rated to like 480 TQ. So it will be fun to see how it does during some winter X. The car feels a lot more like I would expect it to feel from the factory, I wished the car was much more performance oriented, but now it is.

Hopefully some of that helps! GL!

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Do you have a local subie shop? A lot of them seem to have used STI flywheels you can get resurfaced for cheap. Thats what I did and it saved me a lot of $$ not having to buy a light weight or new OEM one.

Also I got my clutch for less than $600 from rallysport direct.

now correct me if im wrong but the spec b comes with a dual mass flywheel opposed to a single mass flywheel that the sti comes with. I went with a sti fly wheel and clutch in my build because i liked the feel of the clutch in my sti vs what it was in my spec b.

now correct me if im wrong but the spec b comes with a dual mass flywheel opposed to a single mass flywheel that the sti comes with. I went with a sti fly wheel and clutch in my build because i liked the feel of the clutch in my sti vs what it was in my spec b.

Page 3319 in the 2009 service manual, list FW as conventional, meaning single mass. Page 3322 shows a picture.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

my 2007 spec.b now has a 2005 used sti clutch. the flywheel, clutch disk, and pressure plate measured the same diameter with a tape measure. I couldn't tell a difference until I pushed the pedal. The sti clutch has a stiffer pressure plate. It feels like my buddy's stage 3 act in his 5 speed lgt. Also I have tried a 6k rom launch at the track without any clutch issue with a cobb ots stage 2 tune

Simply put, the Sti transmission is a better built transmission than the 6 speed split case that comes in the Spec B, so that is why.

Spec.B 6 speed is NOT split case like the 5MT's or the new 6MT's in the 5th gen LGT's.

Go with ANY STI clutch/flywheel setup you want.

I've had Exedy stage 1 with LWFW, Comp Clutch stage 3 with their FW, Exedy twin disc, and an ACT 6-puck unsprung clutch with Exedy FW in this car. I look up part numbers for an STI.

By the way, my ACT unsprung 6-puck is my favorite clutch so far. Doesn't even feel like it's unsprung (ACT SB10-HDR6).

Exedy, yes it is. I can't view the ebay page here at work.

Not sure what level that clutch is. IMO I always go at least a step above stock replacement if not more.

I currently have a Spec 2 clutch in my wagon, 42,000 miles still works great.

Archived